Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Removing rear wheel - swingarm.

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
eddy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Removing rear wheel - swingarm. Empty
PostSubject: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 8:44 am

I need to remove the rear wheel for a new tire.

Removing the swingarm is not clear to me.

Shop manual speaks .. loosen the 2 TORX bolts.( needs Torx tool, i don't have that)
In the past, i think i have readed here ,the removing of those bolts is not needed.
Pictures from Leroy Beal ..howto ... don't mention the Torx bolts.

So... can i remove the swingarm without removing the Torx bolts???

Thank You.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 10:50 am

No need to remove the large torx bolts, but you will need to remove the one small 8mm hex bolt which holds on the narrow plastic trim/cover piece covering the two larger bolts securing the rear section of the swingarm. Initially though you will need to loosen the 27mm axle nut (while the scoot is on the ground and not on the center stand) before proceeding with the remaining steps. HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Here is a link to a break down of the parts. May help see where the small plastic cover fits in and hides the torx bolts!

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MCT601&block_02=F__1800&block_03=2871
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks for the break down link Waspie.

#19 & 20 are the torx bolts that the initial inquiry was referring to; those torx bolts attach the right swingarm (#2) to the center swingarm (#3) and in turn to the left swingarm so that the suspension acts unison. The two #31 bolts are what need to be removed to allow the "Final Shaft Holder" (#15) to come off for removing the rear wheel.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 1:03 am

Thanks to both of you.

Conclusion : No Torx tool needed ?

My shop manual is in German language.
It 's hard to read for me.

I am curious what the English version manual says about taking off the swingarm.

Eddy

Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 5:11 am

You will need a Torx driver but watch out, from my own experience those bolts can be very, very tight! Mine had to be drilled out when I had to replace the alternator. Hope that doesn't happen to you.
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:54 pm

If you search the forum for pictorials, I believe Jeff, the originator of this site, published a wonderful picture guide to removing the rear wheel. I've used it 2 or 3 times myself with no trouble, and I don't ever remember using anything call a torx wrench or torx driver. I know I don't own one, unless it goes by some other name.

OOPS! Never mind. It's the Leroy Beal pictorial that I have and have used.

According to his tool list, there is no torx tool required, and I can vouch for that.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Dramhunter wrote:
You will need a Torx driver but watch out, from my own experience those bolts can be very, very tight! Mine had to be drilled out when I had to replace the alternator. Hope that doesn't happen to you.

Yes, those T-50 Torx bolts must be removed to get the right "swingarm" off --and to access the alternator/stator as well. However, all the original poster wants to do is to remove the rear wheel. To remove the wheel you only remove the rear half of the swingarm --which is officially termed the "Final Shaft Holder". No torx bolts are used to attach the "Final Shaft Holder" to the "Swingarm" --just those two #31 bolts in the illustration. Of course he will also need to remove the lower shock absorber bolt, and the parking brake and rear brake calipers as well as remove the 3 or 4 10mm bolts securing the brake hydraulic lines to the Final Shaft Holder.

Don't misplace the two axle spacers when you remove the wheel

Anyway, "Swingarm, Final Shaft Holder", it's all a confusion of terminology. While the OP did mention that he's working off a German Service Manual and is in need of clarification, colloquially we all refer to that right side assembly as a swingarm. The left side assembly is a swingarm as well, but almost never referred to as such, but more so by it's function as a variator, belt, or clutch Case.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Now i can confirm, because the job is done.

To remove the rear wheel, there is no need to loose those Torx bolts.

Thank You all for the help.

Eddy
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 am

eddy wrote:
Now i can confirm, because the job is done.

To remove the rear wheel, there is no need to loose those Torx bolts.

Thank You all for the help.

Eddy

This has really confused me now!!

I have removed my swing arm several times and I have 2 x Torx bolts to remove from under the small plate!

Eddy does you bike not have these?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 am

Hello Waspie,

Go to link http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/rearwheel/page2.html

Scroll to bottom.

The picture shows how my SW looks wenn cover removed.
Only the 2 ordinary bolts needs to removed.
They are painted yellow.
The one in the middle is a Torx bolt.
I did not touched that Torx.

Eddy
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:53 am

What a PITA. If I had seen what a job it is to remove the rear wheel BEFORE I bought the Silver Wing...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear wheel - swingarm.   Removing rear wheel - swingarm. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing rear wheel - swingarm.
Page 1 of 1