Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:21 am

» New member from Europe
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Some Play on Rear Wheel

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-04-13

Some Play on Rear Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 5:22 am

Hi,

New to this forum. have experienced some intermittent wobble from rear and recently decided to start investigating. With bike on center stand, I can 'wobble' the rear wheel - it is not rock steady at all.

Removed the rear wheel and all bearings look OK. Put the wheel back onto the splines and there is a bit of play - and that is the same play that I get when full reassembled. As I don't have any other Silver Wings to compare with (they are as rare as hens teeth here in Ireland) can someone tell me if they experience the same 'play' with the rear wheel or are my splines knackered?

Oliver
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 6:57 am

Is there any play on the axel where it comes through the housing,any oil leaks, did you measure the dia.of the axle. does the wheel have free side to side play.Look there first . How many miles on your Swing The bearring might need changing.
Back to top Go down
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 8:55 am

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions - unfortunately:

All bearings are fine and the axle is solid in its housing. The wheel can move fine laterally.

I was expecting that when the wheel is slotted onto the spines that there should then not be any twisting motion - but there is some and that is not reduced when the full assembly is torqued up :-(
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 3:40 pm

If your taking about forward and backward,there is some free play.
Back to top Go down
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 4:13 pm

If I sit down behind the bike, with the edge of the tyre in front of me. I can deflect the wheel - left/right a bit. Just wondering if this is the same on other bikes. Other bikes I've had - the wheel could not be deflected at all, it feels wrong.

Oliver
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Just tried to move the rear wheel of mine side to side and I cannot detect any play what so ever!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 7:11 pm

The bearing cant be good If you have side play. Again how many miles on your scooter?
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Troubleshooting 15/3 Service Manual
Rear wheel wobbling
.bent rim
.faulty tire
.Axle nut and/or engine mount bolt not tightened properly.
.Loose or worn final gear shaft bearing
.Insufficient tire pressure
.Unbalanced tire and wheel
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 11:00 pm

My 2006 has some play rolling the wheel back and forth but none side to side when on the center stand. I would expect side to side motion to hurt stability. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Hello All,

Thanks for the great feedback. The mileage is just under 15,000.

Yes, stability can sometimes be a bit hairy - hence the reason that I am now investigating it.

Thanks for the feedback from other SilverWing - nice to know that, at least, I am not chasing a red herring i.e. there should not be any lateral play.

From the list of possibilities - I think it is a worn final gear shaft (although the mileage is very low for that to be the cause). But is is definitely not a bent rim, tyre, balance and the axle nut and engine mounts are OK - just checked them earlier.

Will have a closer look at the final drive on Tuesday when am off work again.

Once again, thanks for everyone's interest and assistance - great knowing that there are other people out there.

Oliver
Back to top Go down
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi, I THINK I have found the problem study

Examined the nut used to hold on the wheel, and the threads (at the side nearest the wheel are stripped.

QUESTION: Should there be a collar / spacer between that nut and the wheel bearing (don't have a parts manual to chek it out) because there was not any on my Silverwing. Am hoping, this is/was the problem - if it is, then the only damage was to the nut, the axle seems OK.

Can someone check the parts please?

Oliver

P.S. asked the local (over an hour away) and they were not very helpful as they suggested that I bring the scooter in for them to have a look at it !!!!!

P.P.S. I bought this scooter last year, so this is my first time to examine in in close detail - will know better the next time (assuming I am right about a spacer being missing).
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Check # 6 & 7 in the link. You are right on the spacer or spacers being missing.
Hope this helps.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/Scooter/2008/FSC600A+AC/REAR+WHEEL/parts.html
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Yes, theres some sort of collar.

Back to top Go down
lenseonlife
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all the info - have order a Collar and new Nut. Also going to replace the brake pads while I am at it - so off the road for another week but expecting much better stability when I hit the road again.

On a different note - was very surprised and thankful for all your informed opinions and genuine assistance,

See ya all again soon,

Oliver
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 1:04 pm

lenseonlife wrote:

On a different note - was very surprised and thankful for all your informed opinions and genuine assistance

Ha ha, they're all looking to tour Ireland and drop into yours for a cup of tea...

Except me of course Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Play on Rear Wheel   Some Play on Rear Wheel I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some Play on Rear Wheel
Page 1 of 1