Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal

Go down 
+3
honda_silver
DennisB
allhondascoots
7 posters
AuthorMessage
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Empty
PostSubject: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 7:35 pm

OK..so I've checked lots of info on here and even scrutinized this :how to"

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/rearwheel/rearwheel.html

But I've goten everything loose and the swing arm won't slide off the axle.
It's loose and I can rock it a bit where it is now unbolted, but it wont slide off the axle shaft. Check out these pics and see if I've forgotten something or is there a trick?
I gently tapped on the axle end with a hammer to see if it needed to pop off somehow. but nothing.

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Readytoundo

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Rearnutoff

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Shockofftoo

I even loosened the Torx bolts that didnt need to...

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Swingarmunbolted

HELP.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Looks like you have it ready to be removed. Try tapping with a rubber hammer. TAPPING is the key word here. Should come right off. Try spraying WD-40 on the axle where the spacer was removed from under the large nut. The axle just might have a little rust between the bearing I.D. and the axle O.D. keeping the arm from being removed.
Back to top Go down
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks.
I'll give that a try.
Just wanted to make sure I wasnt doing something stupid before I start beating and prying on it.....you know so that I can now do something stupid! Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Icon_lol

Maybe I'll let it soak over night.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 pm

allhondascoots wrote:
OK..so I've checked lots of info on here and even scrutinized this :how to"

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/rearwheel/rearwheel.html

But I've goten everything loose and the swing arm won't slide off the axle.
It's loose and I can rock it a bit where it is now unbolted, but it wont slide off the axle shaft. Check out these pics and see if I've forgotten something or is there a trick?

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Shockofftoo

I checked your pictures against a PDF I made of the Leroy Beal page with Honda's recommendations merged into notes. It looks like you have everything.

Trying to remember from memory ... in the picture above make sure the shock is not sitting on the SWing arm.

If you grab the tire and try pulling does it proved any more movement??
Back to top Go down
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm absolutely sure that the shock isn't the problem. Its just resting there in the picture.
I'm starting to get PO'd
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal 434

The tire doesnt budge..other than spin.
The swing arm will move just a bit, but not off..or in that direction at all, just back and forth....rotation wise about 1/2inch untill the arm makes contact with the rest of the swing arm.

I've pulled and wiggled and even used a small slide hammer with a flat hook around the back.
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal 1261

I'd swear theres a snap ring or something holding it on.
I'm not this stupid in real life
Back to top Go down
MOWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MOWing

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Sounds like the bearing is seized to the shaft. You might try heating the area with a heat gun. Not enough to peel the paint, but enough to heat things up a bit. If you get it off be sure and clean up the axle there where it goes into the bearing.

I am curious as to why you are completely tearing down the bike. In another post you have pictures of parts all over the place.
Back to top Go down
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 1:12 pm

MOWing wrote:
Sounds like the bearing is seized to the shaft. You might try heating the area with a heat gun. Not enough to peel the paint, but enough to heat things up a bit. If you get it off be sure and clean up the axle there where it goes into the bearing.

I am curious as to why you are completely tearing down the bike. In another post you have pictures of parts all over the place.

Thanks.
I'll give that a try.

To replace this piece:
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Firstwingshots009

Almost all the plastic needs to be removed.
I took the back parts off so I could remove an improperly installed hard case.
And just to check it all over and give a cleaning from the inside out.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 pm

MOWing wrote:

A 3 or 4 arm gear puller might be a safer option.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I agree with Bill, you don't want to damage the splines. The first time I removed my rear wheel it was stuck on pretty good. Before reinstalling, the manual mentions to grease the splines.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:24 am

One of the best things you can use on drive line splines is moly paste. Honda sells the stuff, 'Honda 60'. The Goldwing manual calls for it on all the splines in the big Wing's drive system. The advantage of moly paste is that even when the grease carrier is gone the molybdenum will still provide protection for the splines against wear. The stuff isn't cheap but will really keep the splines in like new condition. The ones on my '93 GW with 134,000 miles still fit as snug as new. The stuff you want isn't the moly grease they sell in auto parts stores but Moly Paste of 60% or more Molybdenum content. Loctite also makes the stuff.
Back to top Go down
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:37 am

Got it!

Thanks honda-silver, the gear puller did the trick!

It took a bit of manipulation to get it to line up with the axle while still maintaining a good grip on the arm. Cranked it down with hand pressure on the tools T handle until very snug, then tapped on the arm with a mallet.
Turned the handle another turn...more mallet tapping...repeated this about 5 times until it slid right off..no popping or anything dramatic.
Looks like it'll clean up and with a new coat of grease, should be fine.

I really appreciate the input!

Now to get the tire off the rim.... Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 3:11 pm

exavid wrote:
One of the best things you can use on drive line splines is moly paste. Honda sells the stuff, 'Honda 60'. The Goldwing manual calls for it on all the splines in the big Wing's drive system. The advantage of moly paste is that even when the grease carrier is gone the molybdenum will still provide protection for the splines against wear. The stuff isn't cheap but will really keep the splines in like new condition. The ones on my '93 GW with 134,000 miles still fit as snug as new. The stuff you want isn't the moly grease they sell in auto parts stores but Moly Paste of 60% or more Molybdenum content. Loctite also makes the stuff.

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease ( http://www.mobil.com/canada-english/lubes/pds/iocaenpvlmomobil_1_synthetic_grease.asp ). It would be interesting how to compare these two.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 pm

allhondascoots wrote:
Got it!

That is great news.

allhondascoots wrote:
Looks like it'll clean up and with a new coat of grease, should be fine.

Why did it stick in the first place??
Back to top Go down
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 3:37 pm

honda_silver wrote:

Why did it stick in the first place??

Good question.

Honestly, I didnt get a chance to mess with it until after work at 9 last night, and was so happy it came off with only a few minutes of work, that I only took a glance at the shaft and bearing and it didnt look that bad. Some whitish oxidation on the shaft.
I'll post a pic tonight before cleaning it up.
Back to top Go down
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 11:15 am

Thrilling huh?
Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Icon_lol

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Axle002

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Axle003
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 11:39 am

allhondascoots wrote:

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Axle002

This needs a good cleaning ... and lots of grease.

allhondascoots wrote:

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Axle003

This looks like it needs to be replaced.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 11:46 am

That difinitely looks like water intrusion. Not rust, but water oxidation. Some one must have used a power spray washer on the wheels at some time in the past. You might think about replacing the bearring at this point to be on the safe side. Some very fine steal wool and WD-40 will remove it off the axel. Not to much...just a little scrubing, that's all. Then grease it well when you reasemble it.

You might want to remove the front wheel at this time and check it out to see if water got into that axel as well.
Back to top Go down
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for the heads up.
I'll look it over carefully, and the front is off already with no problems..
After I clean it up, I'll get a professional opinion here at work before putting it back together.
Back to top Go down
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 pm

Remind me to never change my own tires again. Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Icon_evil
It was much harder (and dirtier) than it looks, even with the right spoons/irons.

Got the tires mounted and installed and the bike mostly back together.
As far as the seized swing arm, the bearing cleaned up and felt fine, but the axle shaft itself was pitted and kinda rough. I used a bit of emery cloth to smooth out the high spots, cleaned it all up, recoated it all in a bit of grease and it slid right into place with no problem.
Of couse it all might fly apart or break off at 60 mph...... Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Affraid

No, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Thanks again for the helpful info guys.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 4:39 pm

allhondascoots wrote:
Remind me to never change my own tires again. Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal Icon_evil
It was much harder (and dirtier) than it looks, even with the right spoons/irons.

That is why I have my own NoMar Cyclehill tire changer.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Oh my gosh! With all that information and my head is spinning. The pictures and all the informative information regarding wheel removal and oil types is fantastic.
I do use straight synthetic (amsoil 10-30) but now realize I should be using a higher grade. I don't need a tire replacement at this time but will soon and I am glad to have all this information at hand.
Thanks to all for the GRATE information.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal   Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with rear tire (swingarm part) removal
Page 1 of 1