Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from SW Michigan

Go down 
+9
GaryL
model28a
randybuck
Waspie
"Hi Yo"
kbcmdba
Opalsboy
Buickguy
jobo2mi
13 posters
AuthorMessage
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Hello from SW Michigan Empty
PostSubject: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Hello Swing riders!! Looking forward to learning about my new ride!

I currently ride a little Keeway 150 Arn. Bought it brand spanking new off the lot three years ago and have put 9000 miles on it, just riding it 3 seasons (2 1/2 if you count this crappy year of weather!)

I have been looking to upgrade for almost two years now, but just wasn't quite ready to take the leap to BIGGER (and didn't have the $$) Been looking and drooling over the Swing but one just didnt come my way.

My little Arn gets me where I'm going. I've ridden it almost 70 miles at one stretch to visit my dad and my girls, but it is running flat out the whole way to do 45-50. I say I can do 55 if I go downhill, with a strong wind behind me!! Wink Soooooo I am ready for something stronger, bigger (tired of being buffeted by the wind from a passing VW bug!), faster.

I found a nice little '03 Swing yesterday and got to take it for a test ride. I AM IN LOVE!!! Even tho it is more than twice as heavy as my Arnee, it only took me a few minutes to get the feel of it. And when I got on the throttle a little bit -- HOLY SH!T!!!! affraid I guess it's true, you can tell a happy bike rider by the number of bugs in their teeth :lol!: At least with me, you couldn't slap the grin off my face last nite!!

I should be able to pick up my new ride by Saturday IF my check comes in by then. Otherwise, I'll have to wait till next week Crying or Very sad But, I've waited this long, a few more days won't kill me (will it?? scratch )

I will have questions about the Swing: centerstand, MPG, weight, speed, storage, all kinds of 'what about this?' stuff that will come up in the next few weeks as I get used to a new ride. I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!

First question - it is a 2003 Swing with just under 5300 miles on it, taken care of, never dropped, oil changes and maintenance the whole way. I'm getting it for $3250 - good price??

Second question - insurance expenses comparable to a car or do they stick ya, even tho I've taken the MSF course and been riding safely for 3 yrs.

OK - I better shut up or I'll just go on and on ......... and on and on ........... and on and on ............ can't slap the grin off my face, after all!! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi there neighbor.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 12:04 am

Swinging is gonna put a grin on your face. First, welcome, you are gonna love this forum. We are family here. Lots of different folks from many countries. You will learn a lot very quickly by reading posts as well as asking questions of your own. Very friendly members. We like to help each other.

You have an 03 with very low mileage. If you have a grin, you got a good deal. This things almost never wear out. I had an 03 and I miss that Candy Apple Red.

You have questions about "centerstand, MPG, weight, speed, storage,insurance "---- will take a minute to learn how to get up on centerstand, best learned by experience. Expect MPG to be in the 40 to 50 MPG range... Weight is 500 lbs with full gas tank. Speed will surprise a lot of folks. 110 is the fastest I got my 03 up to when I was just testing it out. You will be able to go as fast as you want. Pass all the VW bugs you see. Storage under the seat is awesome. Shop around for the insurance. I have Progressive and my premium is $684/year. It just increased for me after I triked my 05 out. You may find less expensive policy in your area.

When you get ready to add a few accessories to your scoot, be sure to check out Dennis' Shop. He is a member here and has some very nice things that you may need. I have a link to his stuff in my signature. Everyone on the forum knows him.

I am going and going... You have given me a smile on my face. So many of us share the love we have for our Silverwings. It is contagious.

Welcome again.

Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 12:44 am

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new ride! I can relate too riding an under-powered scooter. In my younger days, I rode a Yamaha 180. While it was capable of doing 55, like you, I either had to draft closely off a semi or be going downhill.

Your new ride is quite a bit heavier as you already know and can go more than twice as fast as your other ride. Give yourself time to get used to it and you will do fine. It might be worth going back for the advanced course since this bike is so different.

The Silverwing has a parking brake under the right side of the cowling. If you're stopped on a slope, feel free to use it but don't forget to disengage it before taking off again. Engaging it is simple - pull the lever back counting clicks till the bike is stable. It goes up to six clicks on my '03. Releasing is a single additional pull.

If you plan to ride very far, consider a throttle lock to make it easier on your right hand. It works by grabbing the throttle moderately, but not so much that untwisting the throttle is hard at all. You can get one at 2wheelride.com for about twenty bucks but give yourself time to get used to the bike before using it. The Silverwing gets the small size throttle lock.

As with any new ride, it's a good idea to have someone from a reputable shop give the bike a healthy once-over and possibly a tune-up. I had mine for about six months and blew out my front fork seals, learned that my main drive belt as a millimeter thinner than the service limit, needed a new front tire and rear brake. If I would have gotten the tune-up/inspection done earlier, I could have planned those things out a little better. BTW - those repairs ran me about $1200.

So, despite the repairs, I still have a grin on my face while riding and love my ride. Good luck and ride safe.

Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello from SW Michigan 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:20 am

Howdy and welcome to the forum. A lot of questions can be answered by using the search function (just don't ask about the best oil or darkside tires) Smile . Also make sure all recalls have been taken care of. And most of all; enjoy the ride. small moped small moped small moped
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 2:58 am

Hi and welcome.

The grin factor is what it is all about. I ride my 'Wing' daily and never cease to smile before, during and after a ride. Wet/dry, day/night it's an incredible experience.

I used to keep all my scoots pretty much stock but the 'Wing' doesn't seem to mind whatever you do to it - or don't as the case may be. Laughing

There is much info on here, whilst waiting, mooch around and ask whatever questions you will. Even if they sound daft, we have all either asked or thought about them ourselves.

Most of all - join in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
randybuck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 6:38 am

Buickguy wrote:
Hi there neighbor.
Buick guy I live in Chelsea, we're neighbors.
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 8:22 am

Yes we are! I'm in the Dexter area.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 9:57 am

I definitely think you got a good deal, mostly because exactly one year ago I bought a 2002 with nearly exactly the same miles for exactly the same amount of money. Mine had been down though, obvious by some scrapes.

I get 55-58 MPG with my Swing but I rarely ride on the interstate. I use it as my commuter when it's not raining, about 50 miles each way. My last fill up was 3.1 gallons to go 182 miles.

I don't have a big aftermarket windshield like a lot of people so I think that helps my MPG too. I just have a Laminar Lip, which directs the air just over my head but I can look over it easily.

My insurance is WAY less than Gary's. Under $200 per year.

I'm coming out to Kalamazoo in July, I'm hoping the weather will be a little bit nicer than when I came in February and it snowed 30 inches overnight.

Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Duggle said...

my insurance is WAY less than Gary's. Under $200 per year.

Who are you with?

I know a basic bike with no accessories is cheaper. And I have a "few" accessories. My kit doubled the cost of my Swing. And I have almost that much again in accessories I wanted covered. I should have made that clear before posting what my coverage cost me. I was up late last night and had taken my dozing meds. Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 3:02 pm

I am with Shelter insurance and it is just liability insurance.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 4:23 pm

I have Progressive and it cost me $320 a year for full coverage.I had an accident last Sept.They paid out over $3,000 and they are getting my $500 deductible back for me from the party responsible for the accident.I plan to stay with them.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Progressive. Both Reflex and SWing together is somewhere around $450 (if I remember correctly) with full coverage. small moped
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 6:30 am

chickendance Waiting for check to arrive in the mail so I can go pick up my new steed!! swing Oh hurry hurry I am getting anxious!!!! I wanna motorcycle RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 6:35 am

DuggleBogey, you must have come right at the first part of February when we got our blizzard!! I had gone up to Holland to welcome my newest grandson and got snowed in! So much snow!!!!

But coming in July, about the only thing you might rin into is some hellaious thunderstorms (maybe) or maybe just the heat!!

What's in the big town of Kazoo that brings you this way???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am

I have a project at Bronson Hospital. They have an electrical systems test on the first Friday of every month. I was there for the one in February but my systems weren't ready yet. It has taken them until now to get the wiring finished so I can make another attempt.

I liked the town even though it was totally snowbound. I had some pretty good greek food if I remember correctly. Everything was really convenient from the airport, I think I put 20 total miles on the rental car in a week.

Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Oh there is a great Greek place right downtown. Called Ouzo's!!! Love that place. Right outside the airport is another Greek place, Theo and Stacey's that has good Greek as well as American food at a decent price. I just had dinner at T&S last week and got a Greek sampler AND baklava for about $12!! That's good eatin!! :D Downtonw has some nice restaurants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 4:09 pm

It was Theo and Stacey's and I pretty much had the place to myself since the weather was so bad. Owner was a super nice guy, I told him dinner was so good I wanted to come back for breakfast. Too bad the prices were good since I was on expense account! Maybe not though, makes for shocking large tips.

I'll definitely hit it again in July.
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 7:08 pm

You must have met George!

Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 5:32 pm

[img]Hello from SW Michigan 07511[/img]

Here he is!!! He's not QUITE mine yet .... I was just visiting today!! LOL I'm just waiting on the check to hit my mailbox and then I can go pick him up! I can hardly wait!!!

Yes, it's BIG, it's POWERFUL, it's FAST, it's MALE!! LOLOLOL I'm thinking of naming him Big Red. Whattya think???

Zzzzzoooommmmmmm!!!
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 6:54 pm

That's a darn sharp SW!
I've always been partial to red bikes and that one sure shows why!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Looks great! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Acquit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Acquit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 am

jobo2mi wrote:
Hello Swing riders!! Looking forward to learning about my new ride!

First question - it is a 2003 Swing with just under 5300 miles on it, taken care of, never dropped, oil changes and maintenance the whole way. I'm getting it for $3250 - good price??

Second question - insurance expenses comparable to a car or do they stick ya, even tho I've taken the MSF course and been riding safely for 3 yrs.

I just bought a 2007 Silverwing with 4,687 miles, perfect condition included a cover, and spare windshield for $3,400, book on mine was about $4,500 - KBB has yours at $2,280 for trade in and about what you paid for it at retail. http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-in/2003/honda/fsc600-silver-wing/70048/

Insurance is really much dependent on your age, history and other policies. I have 2 cars, one house and life insurance through my company, I'm 48, married and have never had a ticket, accident or claim. I'm paying $260 a year with $1,000,000 in UIM coverage (because Under Insured Motorist cover is in my opinion a mandatory policy feature with motorcycles - heaven forbid you take a good dive. If the idiot that pulls out in front of you has the "state minimum" it will never be close to covering major injuries or time loss from work and loss of future income if you are left disabled.
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 6:14 am

Took my first ' long' ride yesterday. About 60 miles to visit my daughters. Such a glorious Sunday I just COULDN'T waste it! Jumped on the bike and away I went.

Even got home just before it got dark (I don't like riding in the dark yet, either). Found out Big Red's lights are almost like car lights, so I can SEE!! Shocked Well enough to see the deer crossing the road in front of me!!! EEEKKK THAT'S why I don't like evening riding so much - I live in deer country!!

I am still somewhat nervous starting out on the bike. Moving it OFF the center stand is a trick for me as it is SO much heavier than my 150! But I pored over the owner's manual and did what they sugget to get it off the CS and Voila! It works! And it gets easier each time I do it (which has been a LOT so far Laughing ) church, bank, store, just cuz, daughter's, OTHER daughter's, home, just cuz!! Laughing cheers

This week will be work, work, work as long as it isn't supposed to rain ... I've ridden in the rain, but don't like it! But I found out I don't melt, so it is just inconvenient and uncomfortable! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:16 am

Nothing better than some free time on a pretty day! Give it a little time, you'll be used to the SWing in no time at all. I also upgraded from smaller scooters. The size and weight difference takes a little getting used to. Plus it's a lot harder to muscle around in the garage. Smile
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Tick Tick Tick ..... waiting to pick up Swing #2 - Big Bad@$$ Blue ..... a couple weeks to go, and it is getting COLDER here ..... rode Arnee to work this morning .... BBbbbrrrr ..... about 42 degrees this morning (add windchill factor ..... BBBRRRR! Shocked ) But ride home tonite was decent! Sunny, about 62 degrees, gorgeous colors!

Waiting, waiting, WAITING for $$$ to pick up 3B!!! Even one ride (home) will make it worth the wait!! Waiting thru the winter will be hard, tho!

Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Hope you can pick up 3B soon! I know you've been aching to get back on a 'Wing!
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 12:27 am

Scooter Jo,

I hope when you get to pick up 3B Indian summer will be in full "Swing".
I just checked out google maps. Your only 156 miles from me. Maybe next season we can meet up for a ride. I hope you get it soon. Smile

Cathy
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 6:40 am

CathyN wrote:
Scooter Jo,

I hope when you get to pick up 3B Indian summer will be in full "Swing".
I just checked out google maps. Your only 156 miles from me. Maybe next season we can meet up for a ride. I hope you get it soon. Smile

Cathy

That would be cool Cathy! Smile I regularly go toward Chicago .... my eldest daughter lives in southen michigan about 30 miles from the border. Have to keep in touch viz forum! Laughing
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Sounds good to me Scooter Jo. Smile

Keep us updated on the new Swing.

swing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from SW Michigan   Hello from SW Michigan I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from SW Michigan
Page 1 of 1