Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Last fuel bar was blinking

Go down 
+7
NWSSC
Praise IPU
Silver Dave K
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
steve_h80
DennisB
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Last fuel bar was blinking Empty
PostSubject: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Hello All,

Went out to the shop and started the Swing to get the battery charged up and circulate all the liquids that needed circulating. Looking at the fuel gauge the last bar was blinking. I thought it needed t couple of gallons of petrol. So I started with a 2 gallon can of fresh pure gas...Started filling, All of a sudden it started over flowing the tank after one gallon. Closed the scooter tank and started it. Again the gauge was blinking the last bar.cyclops

Just a note: When the scooter is just started the gauge goes all the way to the top bar (normal) and then falls to the last blinking bar

Went to the local auto parts store and purchased a small bottle of Chevron 65740 Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner and added a 1/3 of this small bottle to the full scooter tank. One full bottle treats 12 us gals.

Taking the scooter out tomorrow for a jawght through the country side....Hope this stuff works. I'm thinking 3 tanks should do the job.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 4:37 pm

I'd guess the tank capacity is shown by a float system (like your toilet cistern) and it's stuck in the wrong place.
Go for a bumpy ride and see what happens, it might unstick it.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply. I'll keep my eyes open for the bumpy parts of the roads and make use of them. bounce
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 6:14 pm

I had two similar experiences on my '03 S'Wing. The problem is fuel "stuff" deposited on the fuel level sending unit. Hopefully Techron will resolve your problem after a few tanksfull. Check the archives for my post(s) about a faulty fuel gauge.

In the future the tank should be topped off and Seafoam-type fuel treatment added when sending your scoot off for a nap.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 9:29 pm

You could have put the entire bottle of Techron in without a problem and get better cleaning from that tankful.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 10:27 pm

Never crossed my mined. I felt following the instruction was the right path to follow. Tomorrow is going to be in the mid 80's F. A few more days like that will be easy to run 3 tanks of fuel through her.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 10:07 am

No harm either way,up to xxx gallons is the key. Maybe?? one of the few cases of more is better Smile
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Like I said in the previous post, added the Techron yesterday, let it stand over night.

Went out to the shop this morning and looked and it was still blinking on the last bar. Aired up the tires checked the oil and got ready to ride.

To my surprise, it wasn't long before I looked down at the dash gauge and it was showing a full tank of fuel. HURRAY!!! cheers

I think letting the scooter set over night with Techron in the tank, helped get the sender loosened up.

Works fine now.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 1:03 pm

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Praise IPU
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Praise IPU

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 3:56 am

Hey Dennis do you winterize your bike at all? Or park it for long periods?

I have dumped a can of Seafoam in the gas tank and let it run for awhile before I've parked it for the last 2 winters.

Seafoam should clean out anything in the gas tank and fuel system.

My dad is a mechanic and swears by Seafoam. It's also a fuel stabilizer if you park if long enough that the fuel might varnish.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

As you probably know, I'm not on this sight nearly as much as I was 9 years ago...And please don't misunderstand when I say my interests have changed over the last few years.

I do wonder out to the shop and check the oil, air up the tires, and start my scooter up and let it run to keep it happy. This is the first time the fuel level sending unit failed on my '08 or the '06.

Hope to ride more this year.

Use what ever you like...I'm just trying help others that might have this and other problems.

Ride Safe. sunny
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 8:15 pm

I use both Startron and Stabil marine / ethanol stabilizers usually at x2 dosage in my small engines like the snowblower which has seen no use so far this season. When I decide to redose I drain the older fuel in my OLD tractor which isn't to fussy about it's diet the put fresh back in the small stuff.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking    Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2017 1:28 am

I believe it is the Sulfur content in some gasoline that coats the resister in the fuel gauge and gives a inaccurate reading. I recommend using high quality fuel and the highest octane when storing for a extended period of time. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
E.D.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
E.D.

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 1:51 am

I don't think the fuel octane will make any difference. I use a product called Ethanol Shield Fuel Stabilizer, it comes in an 8 ounce plastic bottle, Available at Walmart for about $5 a bottle. They put it away with their lawnmower stuff in the winter time. I buy two bottles at a time so that I do not run out. I dump in one ounce in my gas tank on a fill up about once a month, so a bottle will last me 8 months. Bottle label says it stops water/ethanol issues, easy starts, keeps gas fresh, protects rubber and plastic, all that good stuff. Anyway, it works good for me, I never have any fuel issues or problems. This is also good for all small engines.
Made by www.B3Cfuel.com
108 Daytona Street
Conway SC 29526
843-347-0482
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 3:57 am

I also use Seafoam in tank. I go a bit heavy on it when I put the scoot away for the winter and never had a problem with it starting or running. I also use it in my gas can that feeds my lawn mowers and snowblower. Sometimes it takes 3 years to go through the 6 gallons but they always start and run like champs.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 5:36 pm

My angle on the fuel issue was to use the No Ethanol fuel in the cold months, and regular fuel when it's ridden every day and getting filled up every 2-3 days. I do not believe that stratification and phase separation is an issue when you ride every day, and it's less of an issue when you don't have tank temperature swinging down to the freezing point.
I had to live in Upstate New York for the past 19 years and always found at least one or two days mid winter that it was ok to ride, so I got to refresh the tank.
Now that I'm back in Florida, I fill the tank daily, all year long! Cool
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Seafoam is a great cleaner but it contains alcohol. I know it is also a fuel stabilizer but anything with alcohol will attract more moisture.
I use Stabil Marine no alcohol.

Ethanol shield has vapor tech. vapor is above fuel line, advertised to stop rust in tanks. Same Co. makes a product called Mechanic in a bottle for cleaning fuel systems. Mostly for CARBS.

I used this on a bike that was idling bad, stalling. Let it sit overnight in carb. Drained it next day got that nasty OLD fuel smell. Filled fresh gas run great no more issues.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last fuel bar was blinking   Last fuel bar was blinking I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Last fuel bar was blinking
Page 1 of 1