Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fuel cap won't come off

Go down 
+9
Greysilver
dalehazelton
oldgwingguy
sctr199
NWSSC
exavid
Cosmic_Jumper
Winger61
hankster
13 posters
AuthorMessage
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

Fuel cap won't come off Empty
PostSubject: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 4:06 pm

I can put the key into the fuel cap lock but it won't turn. I've tried WD40 and penetrating fluid but no luck. Can someone give me any tips on how to get the fuel cap off? TIA!!!
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Have you tried turning it clockwise? It works that way on mine - can't think yours would be different. (Unless the lock is seized.)
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 4:28 pm

I've tried both directions. It appears that the key isn't even going in all of the way, at least it doesn't go in as far as it does on the seat lock.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 4:32 pm

I can't imagine why the key wont turn in the fuel cap lock. I guess that you're just going to have to keep (gently, but persuasively) futzing with it. Attempting to force it off with a giant pair of pliers or a pipe wrench is only going to damage the tank IMO. Or equally as bad, break the key off in the lock. Once you do get it off though you might consider disassembling the cap and disarming the lock assembly. Or switch to a Helix or Elite non-locking fuel cap. I've been using a Helix cap for years. Check eBay.

In view of your 2nd post, maybe you need a locksmith to pick the lock. Then you could disassemble the cap and lock to remove whatever imay be obstructing the keyway.

Tim
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Yea, may have to hit up the local locksmith. Doesn't look like it's going to unlock with the key.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 7:58 pm

Replacing the tank cap was one of the first things I did to my two SWs when I got them. Just too much bother, besides it's unlikely that anyone is going to siphon that small tank. I've heard some one on this form saying someone dumped foreign material in his tank but I've never had that happen on any vehicle I've owned in over 50 years of owning various types of motor vehicles. But then maybe I didn't irritate anyone sufficiently.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Fuel cap won't come off    Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 11:49 pm

I noticed that the key on my S/W does not go into the fuel cap near as far as the under seat lock or the ignition switch also.You might try using a air compressor and blowing a slight amount of air into the lock cylinder.Not to much but enough to remove some foreign material from the lock cylinder. There is no spring loaded door on this lock cylinder to protect it. If you want to remove the locking part of the cap when you open it up it is easy. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Did this happen suddenly?  Do you have another key you can try?  You might try irrigating it with contact cleaner then lubricating it with graphite solution designed for locks. I've read on other forums that WD40 is not recommended in ignition locks because it collects dirt over tme. I replaced my gas cap with a non-locking cap.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 1:09 am

Looks like a job for a locksmith, usually those guys can pick a simple disk lock pretty fast. If you have enough fuel it would be cheaper to go to a locksmith's shop than have them come out to the bike
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 7:07 am

sctr199 wrote:
Did this happen suddenly?  Do you have another key you can try?  You might try irrigating it with contact cleaner then lubricating it with graphite solution designed for locks. I've read on other forums that WD40 is not recommended in ignition locks because it collects dirt over tme. I replaced my gas cap with a non-locking cap.

What cap are those using the non locking style using?
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 7:21 am

There is about 3/4 tank in it so I plan on going to a locksmith With my work schedule and the holidays coming up may not get to it until this weekend. I'll update once it's taken care of.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 8:44 am

I'd give it a big shot of WD40 through the little red straw. Something is or isn't retracting inside.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Scary, I think Ill change my cap. No one is going to steal 4 gallon anyway.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 5:54 pm

No need to buy a new cap, here is a an old post from Howard (NWSSC) on how to convert the cap you have to a non locking cap with the option of returning it back to normal.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t7607-locking-gas-cap
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: Fuel cap won't come off    Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 8:01 pm

Yes and thank you, after 55,000 miles the converted cap still works great. I would take the S/W to a locksmith. Let us know the outcome. Howard
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 10:07 am

Can someone tell us what the problem is with the OEM cap? Should it be lubed with graphite once in a while?
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 10:28 am

dalehazelton wrote:
Can someone tell us what the problem is with the OEM cap? Should it be lubed with graphite once in a while?

I wouldn't, think sloshing gasoline washing the graphite into the fuel. The problem if it is one is the locking feature one that can easily over come. From this board I see where you can take the locking feature off and if you wish latter on replace the locking mechanism.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 10:35 am

The "problem" with the OEM cap is that it is over-engineered. Perhaps there is some archane regulation somewhere, promoted, no doubt, by a lobbyist for the locksmith guild, stating that fuel vessels must be rendered a PITA to access. So now we have locking fuel caps. 

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 10:45 am

OR Laughing It's just a feature added on because they could then say we did this just for YOU,aren't you glad WE did. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 3:32 pm

In the US locking gas caps on cars and trucks became de rigueur in the early 70s during the Arab oil boycott. Gas became hard to get in many areas even at high prices so those among us who have no morals increased the incidence of gas stealing so locks soon appeared on a lot of vehicles. Personally I don't like to bother with an unnecessary lock.
Back to top Go down
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 1:38 pm

A locking gas cap saved my pickup in the mid 80's. A thief stole the truck, but because of the locking gas cap he couldn't put gas in it. He drove it until it ran out of gas and abandoned it on the side of the road where the police found it and notified me.
Back to top Go down
Thebreen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 12:44 pm

hankster wrote:
I can put the key into the fuel cap lock but it won't turn. I've tried WD40 and penetrating fluid but no luck. Can someone give me any tips on how to get the fuel cap off? TIA!!!

use the 'blue wrench' Shocked (just kidding)

hopefully the lock smith was able to get it off for you - for future reference could you answer a few questions?

how long have you had the bike?
any problem the last time you refueled?
how long ago was it last successfully removed?

thanks in advance chickendance
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Thought I'd give an update. With the holidays and all I haven't had a chance to get to the locksmith. Plan on doing that Wed. or Thurs. Will post another update once that is done.

I've only had the bike a couple weeks. I bought it with the gas cap problem but with the deal I got I figured I can work through this. The previous owner said that it worked OK the last time he filled it up in the spring. He comes to FL in the winter and put it in storage in the spring with a full tank. I'm just looking to get it removed and I can mod it to remove the locking dogs once it's off. We'll see what the locksmith says.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 11:04 am

Just got back from the locksmith. Took him about 10 minutes for him to pick the lock. The tumblers were really gummed up so that once he got the lock to turn slightly he used a screwdriver to turn the lock enough so it unlocked. That and couple keys cut cost me $20! I did remove the locking dog so I don't have to worry about that happening again. The cap is nasty (gunk and corrosion) so looking to replace it with a non-locking cap. Which non-locking caps fit the Swing?

Got the title and plates transferred today so now I can ride it. Thanks for everyones advice!
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 11:17 am

Hi Hankster, the cap from the 'helix' is a good replacement, if you can get hold of one! There may be others, as previously mentioned. Have you tried a search on here?
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 11:23 am

Yea, tried the search on "fuel cap" but nothing good came up. I knew I seen it somewhere here when reading past posts but wasn't able to find it.
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 3:27 pm

hankster wrote:
Yea, tried the search on "fuel cap" but nothing good came up. I knew I seen it somewhere here when reading past posts but wasn't able to find it.

Helixparts.com sells a gas cap that will work on your Swing. Be sure to click on their U.S. store first.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks for the tip. helixparts was out of them. I ordered an Honda OEM Helix cap from partszilla, only a few bucks more than the one on helixparts.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: Fuel cap won't come off    Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 12:30 pm

I know this is a little late but you stated the fuel cap was a little nasty, is this just on the outside or on the inside also? If on the inside you might be looking at cleaning the tank. One more item the S/W cap is not vented.Replacing it with a vented cap will not interfere with with the running of the S/W but will contribute to the pollution to the air we breath. This type of pollution adds up to million of gallons per year. Just my to cents worth. Howard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel cap won't come off   Fuel cap won't come off I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel cap won't come off
Page 1 of 1