Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2016-11-05

Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes Empty
PostSubject: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 4:31 pm

So this is where some nice pretty pictures of my newly drilled mounting holes on my replacement rear wheel are supposed to be.

Unfortunately a non abs rear wheel isnt just undrilled for the tone Ring mounting holes, it also is missing a bit of machining that allows the ring to slip into place. The casting has about . 020 in taken off of the side and about. 050 in taken off the top of each mounting lug.

I was able to fab up a couple tabs to mount the sensor on the non abs swing arm which went just fine. I just wasn't prepared for the other issue.

Soooo next time I have the wheel off I will be prepared with some die grinder bits to take off the necessicary material. I won't be able to get it perfect but I think I can get it close enough. For now my abs is still down though Sad
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 5:08 pm

Started to do something like that once but only got as far as tapping new threads in. Then the tap broke off in one of the holes. Cheap taps; had one break doing another project but managed to get it out because not too much of it was down in and the break was near the handle. Pretty sure I tossed that set of taps. Not sure if it was a set from HF (but probably was) Didn't even try to drill it out as it likely would have just pushed off of the piece of tap never to hit the hole center. And the rim was too big to fit in the throat of the drill press any way. Sold the rim + a tire to a buyer that did not need it to be an ABS rim.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 5:11 pm

Yeah trying to dig a broken tap put of a blind hole in aluminum usually ends in tears. I am going to keep my eyes open for an abs rim as I would would honestly rather not take a die grinder to mine. Not too worried about tapping the holes. I got rid of my hf tap and die set long ago:)
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 11:27 am

Well, there's one on ebay right now for $79.20 + 12.26 shipping. (that's odd an bunch of numbers if you ask me) But it looks in as rough a shape as I have ever seen any scooter wheel. Not sure if it would even be usable in that kind of condition. But new they are something like $340. If it were me, I'd pass on that one. You might try checking at used/wrecked motorcycle type salvage yards for a wheel or just keep checking ebay. Funny, I'd see them there when I didn't want or need one. Typical.

affraid
http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-Honda-FSC600-A-FSC-600-ABS-Silverwing-rear-back-wheel-rim-/400931882974?hash=item5d596707de:g:kTsAAOSwpdpVcD44&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: converting-non-abs-rear-wheel-for-tone-ring-woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 7:11 pm

That wheel on ebay is perfectly alight providing it is straight although a bit rough looking. My wheels where getting to look like that but after sending them off for shot blasting and a gloss black powder coat they look 100% better and easier to clean. Pud.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 8:03 pm

vmaximus wrote:
That wheel on ebay is perfectly alight providing it is straight although a bit rough looking.

Well, the ad does say it is straight. Maybe with a good clean up and some of that plastidip stuff people talk about, it may be a less expensive alternative to a new rim or a used one that has been bead blasted and covered with fresh powdercoat. But as it is now, it looks horrid and suspiciously unusable.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 am

Yeah I saw that one. I think I'm just going to be patient. I saw that they do sell for significantly less occasionally.

Ive never had a bike with abs before so I don't feel Ike I'm, missing anything in the meanwhile.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2016 12:02 am

Kennylxix wrote:
Yeah I saw that one.   I think I'm just going to be patient.   I saw that they do sell for significantly less occasionally.

Ive never had a bike with abs before so I don't feel Ike I'm, missing anything in the meanwhile.

When you do have operational ABS, the first time you have to grab the brakes (like on wet pavement for instance) that might have locked up standard brakes and sent you skidding you will appreciate them.

It might seem a little unnatural at first to grab the front brakes HARD and not have the bike put you down or do a stoppie or endo.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2016 12:04 am

I definitely think I will appreciate them and be a little less likely to sit out rain. I've seen videos comparing with and without and abs on a bike is definitely a good thing!
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Kennylxix wrote:
So this is where some nice pretty pictures of my newly drilled mounting holes on my replacement rear wheel are supposed to be.

Unfortunately a non abs rear wheel isnt just undrilled for the tone Ring mounting holes, it also is missing a bit of machining that allows the ring to slip into place.   The casting has about . 020 in taken off of the side and about. 050 in taken off the top of each mounting lug.  

I was able to fab up a couple tabs to mount the sensor on the non abs swing arm which went just fine.   I just wasn't prepared for the other issue.  

Soooo next time I have the wheel off I will be prepared with some die grinder bits to take off the necessicary material.   I won't be able to get it perfect but I think I can get it close enough. For now my abs is still down though Sad

I have just done the front wheel and am starting on the rear is the .050 in on the rear mtg. points right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes   Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes
Page 1 of 1