Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

brakes or rather no brakes

Go down 
+3
Reg
terrier
phils a winger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

brakes or rather no brakes Empty
PostSubject: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 5:32 pm

went to set off for work on thursday, pulled the left lever while pressing the button, lever straight back to the handlebar, gulp! looked down at the wheel and a pool of fluid. No time for investigation, went and swapped the keys for the Gold Wing, now I know why I like to have a choice of two at all times (even if the wing is 34 and showing her age) Now before going on holiday I bought a s/h front wheel and a caliper from Lithuania, wheels on fitted at weekend, was going to save the caliper until after the winter. Pulled the caliper at night, all fluid seeems to be from the bottem of the caliper and the area of the hose unions is dry, was thinking banjo bolt washers. Examination suggests that the middle piston is covered in fluid, assume that the centre seal has gone, outer pistons were new, all seals new and pads new about 3 months ago. Job this weekend is gonna be puting the s/h caliper on and bleeding the front brake. will try and get some close ups of the corrosion on the old caliper.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 5:47 am

That's a bummer Phil. Only be thankful it happened when you were parked and not while riding. Good job you had the spare bike to fall back to. Good luck with repairs.

Den small moped
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 11:10 am

Yes. Much better it happened in drive way or garage. Not just safety wise. But brake fluid
is not a good thing to have on the paint either.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 3:20 pm

At least it had the decency to fail at home.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Good one Steve. Those exact words go thru my mind when something like this happens.

If it fails on the road. It's "you could of at least had the decency to fail at home you miserable #$^^$##@@!
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2016 3:42 pm

took it out this morning, i have brakes, not exactly a good 'pedal' no air when bleeding, combined brakes are a nightmare to bleed
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2016 4:03 pm

Air you pumping them or have a vacuum bleeder.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2016 5:06 pm

pumping using a bleed valve, garage i use says he tried a vacuum bleeder on combined brakes and did not like it. He prefers the old pump it up and let the fluid out, lots of fluid and eventually you get a pedal.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2016 5:36 pm

I used a Rothenwald brake bleeder kit when I changed my fluid last year and had no problems at all. I used a large syringe to suck the old fluid out of the reservoirs, and again to fill them up with fresh fluid. The fact that it was a combined brake system didn't make it complicated either, IIRC it's front brake top bleed valve first, then the lower bleed valve, and finally the rear brake bleed valve. No mess, no fuss, and strong lever action, and I'm not that interested in the dirt under the fingernails stuff.

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2016 10:57 pm

One thing to keep in mind is there are two ports between the master cylinder reservoir and the master cylinder piston bore. One is a very small one toward the output end of the piston bore. If that tiny port becomes plugged, as they often do if the fluid is old, it will be impossible to completely bleed the system. I used to poke out that port with a stiff, thin wire, actually a bristle from a wire brush held in a pair of pliers.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Subject: brakes or rather no brakes    brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 12:16 am

If you are not satisfied with the brake action (soft) you might try tying the left lever back to the handle bar overnight and let the air work itself up and to the brake reservoir. I could not believe this when I first heard doing this but It does work. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 1:26 am

I tied both brake levers back overnight after the fluid change I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't think it was necessary I'd remembered reading about it on the Muppets forum on a similar topic. I already had Velcro ties that I use in a similar way on the front brake when securing the scooter on ferries.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 11:07 am

This is something I came up with a few years ago to bleed brakes.
It works way better than any vacuum bleeder I have bought in the past.
Very easy for one person bleeding.

Also if you are just doing a fluid change you can suck the old fluid and dirt off the bottom
of the master cylinder before adding the new fluid.

The neoprene hose is 3/16 inside diameter and 5/16 outside.
In the video I use an old vacuum cleaner but now I use a shop vac.
The vacuum cleaner hose fits over the spout of the gas can. The spout is
tapered so it will fit at some point along the taper depending on the size of the vacuum hose.
For the neoprene hose, drill the appropriate size hole in the air vent cap of the gas can.
The other end fits on the brake bleeder.

Here is the video.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 3:20 pm

have done the 'tie the levers' trick on this and other scoots with various levels of success. Front brake is adequate, rear brakes work but lever is spongy so might need to tie it up for a few nights, was using the big wing (gl1100) and forgot i'd twisted awkwardly getting up this morning. Boy was I suffering when I got to work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: brakes or rather no brakes   brakes or rather no brakes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

brakes or rather no brakes
Page 1 of 1