Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour Empty
PostSubject: A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour   A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:00 pm

Here's a link to a google map with commentary of my upcoming tour, set to begin, God willing, next Saturday, the 19th.

Enjoy!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=103985422115943131957.00047362bf76d7de7259a&ll=35.612651,-109.511719&spn=3.786654,7.064209&z=7
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour   A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Matthew,

If you can do it, I highly recommend going north from Shiprock, thru Bluff into the Monument Valley. The Navajos may or may not be happy about the scooter in their land, but the views are worth it. You will rejoin your planned route at Kayenta (I hope the spelling is right).
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour   A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Jon,

It could be do-able; it would mean a detour north from Kayenta up to the Visitor Center area. Since I'm leaving some flexibility in my plans, I'll see how it's all shaping up at the time. So much to see, so little time. Maybe that's a good thing in that it provides reason for more road trips.

Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour   A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Matthew,

I was thinking more of heading North on US 191 near Mexican Water to US 163 into Mexican Hat then on to Kayenta. This would add about 50 miles with no double backs. The road from Mexican Water to Kayenta is not worth writing home about. The Monument Valley visitor center is somewhere near Goulding's Trading Post (about half way between Mexican Hat and Kayenta, as I remember it).
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour   A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 1:40 pm

That could work too. It'd be about 100 mile detour as I read it, swinging up 191 off of 160, then down 163 back toward Kayenta and on to The Canyon. Anything's possible. We'll see. Since my friends are not joining me for the first leg, I have more flexibility in where and when I go anywhere. Like they say about the area where I live: "There are no 'bad' views". I think it'd be hard to find a road out here that's a "mistake".

Seems like the visitor center is right about on the border of AZ and UT, about 25 miles from Kayenta. The picture I found online of the road heading south along 163 from Mexican Hat looks pretty spectacular. I'll try to prepare myself to be able to handle it, if I do go that way.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour   A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:56 am

Matthew,
I agree that almost all roads in the southwest are worth being on. Very few "mistakes" at all, but some are worth an extra few miles.

The visitor center is about 2 miles from Goulding's (one of the oldest retail places is the valley). I haven't been down there since the mid '80s, but my experience has shown that tech "improvements" move pretty slow in that environment.

In any case, have a good, safe, and pleasant trip. I envy you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour   A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Map of my upcoming Southwest tour
Page 1 of 1