Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour Empty
PostSubject: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:25 am

I'm back, and it was a really fantastic trip. The SilverWing performed absolutely perfectly. What a great bike.

Here are a couple of links in case you'd like to see some photos/videos (I'm no photographer, so please forgive any lapses in quality); or read some narrative; or see a google route map. I hope you enjoy.

And Thanks Jon for recommending Monument Valley. It was surely a highlight of the trip.

http://www.travelpod.com/members/matthewd

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=103985422115943131957.00047471e33d7707eafd3&z=6
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 5:42 am

Matthew,

Very nice, I like the narrative style of story telling. It is after all a story, albeit true and with flashes of personal opinion. The personal insights were nice and (to me) made it interesting.

I like that you found out you may have overpacked and plan to address that on your next trip. I think it must be an odd function of our affluent US culture that generally we tend to think more is necessary. That whole "be prepared" mentality that keeps us from fully experiencing spontaneous positive and (perceived or imagined) negative events.

Anyway I read all of the entries and enjoyed them. Congratulations on an enjoyable trip and best wishes for many more.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Matthew,

Thanks for the thanks. One of my wife's favorites (of my paintings) is of Mexican Hat (I put it on a t-shirt for her).

I haven't been there for a long time. I hope that the natives are still as friendly as they were in the early 70's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks Dale and Jon for taking the time to read thru my report. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I hope the pictures made it more "alive", and I hope some others will enjoy it too.

Jon, maybe you have a website where your paintings are available for viewing?

Ride safe...........
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Nice pics and write-up Matthew. I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like you had a great adventure. Pretty hard to beat a nice two-wheel camping trip in nice weather through spectacular scenery!
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:10 am

Yeh Mike, the weather spirits were smiling on me. Aside from getting a little cold at times, and real windy at others, riding and sleeping outdoors was just fine. We wouldn't want it to be completely without challenges, would we?
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Matthew,

I thought that I had my web site on the "www" button at then bottom of all of my posts.

In any case

should get it. It pretty static, I've not been very productive of late.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 8:04 am

Another Duh! moment for me Jon; yes, there it is, but I didn't even see it.
You have quite a body of work there. I enjoyed seeing more of it. Maybe you can vary your avatar on this sight to reflect more of your paintings?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 am

Coming up. It will reflect my true self when it came to going fast off road.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Looks like something I can relate to. I could not relate to your friend Verle's talk about doing 90 off road. I pushed my S'wing up to 90-95 once on a long, straight, empty highway, just to see. Took all of about 10 seconds. I can't say I have any desire to do it again, or regularly. Each to their own.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Matthew,
This painting has an interesting history. Verle and I were in a cafe in Moab before riding to the Needles area of Canyonlands on the ? trail. We were talking with an old prospector about the trail and he told us that when we get to the BIG rock with a little rock on top, turn left.

We got to the above rocks, but the trail was obviously straight ahead, so that's where we went. About ten miles further on the trail we were on ended at the edge of a cliff about a thousand feet down. Since neither of us wanted to go down that far at once, we back tracked to the BIG rock, looked further and sure enough, about 200 yards down the sand draw, the trail climbed up and sent us off to the Needles. The extra twenty or so miles caused my big single to run out of gas at the pump when we pulled into the gas station at the Needles air port.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 8:00 am

What would you call that? Good karma?
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 10:31 am

Dumb luck! Would be more appropriate,

Since I wrote the above, I reworked my web site. I re-arranged several of the pieces and added a page of things I've given to various charities over the last decade or so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour   Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Completed My Seven Day Southwest Tour
Page 1 of 1