Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

GIVI windshield installation

Go down 
+3
toolboxjesse
Gar Gentry
Paulk
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Paulk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-03

GIVI windshield installation Empty
PostSubject: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 am

I'm in the process of installing the Givi windshield to keep the cold winds away a bit here in Toronto. The factory windshield looks great but does not cut the wind enough for me at highway speeds in cold weather. On my 2007 Wing the factory windshield is held with six screws that are fastened to rubber encased threaded bushings. These bushing "float" a little the windshield support frame that is made of plastic. The plastic frame is fastened to a metal frame below in a few places.
The Givi install kit includes metal brackets that help reinforce the bond between the plastic frame and the metal frame below. Givi windshield, being bigger, sees higher windloads than the original, so Givi beefed up the mounting arrangement. Probably not a bad idea.
What I dont like about any of this mounting, original and Givi, is that the screws going thru the winshield do not have any rubber or plastic sleeve, i.e. the windshield holes rub against the screws. I will wrap some electrical tape locally around the screws to prevent possible development of a crack at the windshield hole.
I expect a comfy ride behind the Givi screen.
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 7:18 am

I ordered one also, and it will arrive tomorrow morning. Don't foresee any problems with installation but will take a look at the screw hole issue that you mentioned.
Gar
Back to top Go down
http://gentry.hugh@gmail.com
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 am

FYI there should be teflon washers on those 6 screws! They used to be cup-shaped but the new design is flat) They cost about $1 a piece online and come separate from the screws themselves. Also, the rubber threaded plugs are supposed to crush when you tighten the screws into them so they shouldn't be "floating" but securely locked in place (but be careful with them as they can fall in to the fairing and are a pain to recover).

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 am

I think as long as you've read up on the threads and few pictorials, have the tools handy and take your time, everything will be straight forward. I was worried about breaking tabs removing the screen garnish and it came off very easily, gently pull downwards. I thought maybe I'd lose one of the rubber plugs inside the fairing, I didn't. I don't know if it's the Givi Airflow you're fitting, but drilling through the plastic to find the captured nuts seems to be a thing we all worry about... then we do it and find it's pretty simple and straightforward. After that it's a cinch to install the screen and replace the screen garnish, remember push upwards this time.

If you've fitted the tall Givi screen sit on the bike, then unless you're very tall... swear a bit, come back online, and look for the topic about cutting 2" of your screen! Sad

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:23 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Paulk and I seem to be installing the same windshield, the Givi DT214. Mine just hasn't arrived yet. Since my height is 6'2", I am optimistic that I will be able to see over the screen. If not, I will consider Meldrew's suggestion. Other details from Terry and Jesse will be helpful also.

Gar Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Terry:
And I thought I had done my homework! Should have asked more questions before ordering. Wasn't sure about the additional holes required for the AF and couldn't tell if the flexing issue had been resolved for the Clearview. I also read John's comments about the wisdom of looking over the windscreen (which I have been doing for 42 years of riding). Somehow, in all those years I never sat behind a screen that was as tall as the DT214 and therefore assumed it would not be that tall-Duh! No
I will embrace my little mistakes along the way and if necessary get the AF later on.
BTW Terry, did you notice a drop in mpg associated with higher drag of the DT214?
Gar study
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
GIVI windshield installation 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Before cutting the windshield, consider if you are going to change the seat. I got a Wal*Mart cushion and now I look over the top of the screen. I don;t know if the Aihawk does the same thing. I'd hate to see someone cut the windshield and then add a seat pad that would raise them into the wind.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 7:26 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 7:43 pm

I got round the too tall screen problem on my 400 Burgman by using the Airhawk cushion as a template and drawing it onto a cheap 1/4" thick foam sleeping mat. This can be cut very easily with a sharp craft knife and you can easily build 2 or 3 layers inside the Airhawk cover along with the cushion. It made me sit higher on the Burgman,but it was comfortable and worked for me 95% of the time. I still had to move my head to clear my visor in heavy rain. It's a lot easier than cutting the screen. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Good advice "HI Yo" given that I had no thoughts about seat modification. However, as soon as I say that, something may trigger this idea into action (like what you just said) . I would be very hesitant to cut down my new screen anyway. Since we're heading into the cooler season, I won't be as tempted to get more "air" for awhile.

Terry, I shouldn't have even posted that question about drag vs aerodynamics with my background as a pilot. You are very diplomatic. Looking forward to the uncertainties of yet another little change for my scooter.

Meldrew, looks like I have a great option for seat height adjustment with the Airhawk and extra foam. I will look into all of this.

Thanks guys,
Gar cheers
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 8:48 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah, I guess full retirement can do that to us. tongue
Back to top Go down
Paulk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 pm

I have just installed a new GIVI DT model, first without the metal brackets, then with the brackets. The brackets help reduce the flex of the plastic windshield support frame so I left them on. I deburred and fitted the brackets and lined them with some selfadhesive weather stripping and I covered half of the windsield screw threads with heat shink tube to protect the windshield holes.
The Givi is wider than the factory shield, no more wind going up the sleeve.
I have not cut the shield yet, I'll try a cushion first. I've cut shields before, I like to see over it when sitting straight up and thru it when slouching down just a bit, an inch or two max. There a bikes with motorized windshield height adjustment. This is great. But there is always some turbulence with a winshield no matter what. At high speeds it is sometimes better to have a tiny screen or none at all plus a wind tight gear and smooth fully closed helmet of the right size so that it does not dance on the head.
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 9:29 am

Paulk wrote.........and (a) smooth fully closed helmet of the right size so that it does not dance on the head.. And that's why my next purchase is probably going to be a Schuberth C3 helmet! But I'm getting ahead of myself. My Givi windshield has not yet arrived but tracking says it will be Monday. Have checked out Airhawk and even WalMart cushions in case the shield is too high for me. Will comment after installation and test drive.
Gar
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 9:38 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 8:43 am

Windshield update:
Finally! UPS delivered my DT214 last night at 8:00pm. Waited all day and it was too late to mess with. Guess I'll install and test ride today after all my necessary other duties around the house. And yes, it certainly is tall but haven't sat behind it yet. You guys were right about the useless instruction sheet. Don't need it anyway. Will report back later today.
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 6:05 pm

New windscreen installed and tested! Nothing new to comment on that hasn't already been covered. bigbird described the Givi DT214 best on page 1 of this topic. I will add this- the feel behind the new screen makes my scooter seem like a different machine. The aggravating wind noise is gone, even on the interstate. I can now concentrate on driving without distraction from the roar in my ears produced by the stock screen. Didn't notice any backdraft. Sure enough, I have to look through the Givi or stretch my neck to see over it. I'll deal with that after the new wears off. Overall, I am very happy with the new Givi.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Nice to hear you're happy with your Givi, do try adding the foam layers to the Airhawk before you fire up the jig-saw. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks, Meldrew. I followed up on your suggestion by checking out the Airhawk site and going to Walmart to make sure they have foam in stock. Walmart also has small, no-slide seat cushions which might work temporarily until I choose an Airhawk. I'm in no rush to cut down the windscreen. Thanks again for letting me know these options.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: 6`2"   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 11:50 am

[quote="Gar Gentry"]Paulk and I seem to be installing the same windshield, the Givi DT214. Mine just hasn't arrived yet. Since my height is 6'2", I am optimistic that I will be able to see over the screen. If not, I will consider Meldrew's suggestion. Other details from Terry and Jesse will be helpful also.

Gar Smile
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 1:40 pm

To john123:

Was there a question here? I have been enjoying my GIVI DT 214 for several days now. Yes, it is too tall but I can sit a little straighter and see over it without a cushion. We've had some cooler weather lately and I really enjoy the buffet free envelope. Will get my new C3 helmet tomorrow but honestly it isn't necessary to purchase this level of helmet for noise reduction behind the DT windshield. The C3 will provide a high level of protection and versatility which is important also. Will comment on new helmet after testing (like I promised bigbird). I'm glad I chose the DT for my first windshield option.

bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GIVI windshield installation   GIVI windshield installation I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GIVI windshield installation
Page 1 of 1