Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:39 am

» Drive belt prices
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

The ol Burger vs SW issue

Go down 
+2
goldwinger
wingnprayer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

The ol Burger vs SW issue Empty
PostSubject: The ol Burger vs SW issue   The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 10:41 am

Thought this thread was interesting:

http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=2407.60

Like many I was sitting on the fence re buying a SW or burger, in the end Honda's reliability won me over.
Back to top Go down
goldwinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
goldwinger

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: The ol Burger vs SW issue   The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 1:42 pm

When I was in France last year, a French guy came over at a fuel stop and started asking about the Swing. It appears that he had bought 2 Burger 650 Execs and had the same problems with both. Something about the electronic gearbox failing. I bought a Burger 400 new in 2001 and it was a delight to ride, especially after I fitted a Malossi exhaust and variator. Such a shame that they have a great scoot but with those problems, I sure wouldn't consider buying one.
Ian
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: The ol Burger vs SW issue   The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 2:38 pm

I was in the south of France last week and saw plenty of Burgers and TMax's.... but not a single Silverwing!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The ol Burger vs SW issue   The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Yes Suzuki has had some problems in US with 650.....but this guy is somebody who shouldn't be riding a bike or scooter. I say always research a dealer before using them, have a good idea yourself what is wrong.

I had a Burgman 400 new, ok scooter---funny oil leaks, on third try by dealer.....went out in the showroom and bought a new SilverWing----dealer is fine, they in the end got bike fixed and sold to an idiot, who promptly put it in the weeds----last I saw him on three wheels and still not riding well. Also my Suzuki GS500E went 64,000 miles in 15 months in all kinds of weather. Troublefree.

SilverWing is simple in the trans dept compared to Burgman 650....but this 650 mentioned trans trouble? Engine? Owner abuse? Lack of dealer calling in Suzuki fieldman before tearing apart? Rider sounds like idiot to me---dealers are not mind readers.

Back to the garage for me---mount new tires on NT....didn't want a dealer to screw up work. South sucks 100 degrees F. Good exercise.

My long bike experience and since I use them as tool as well as toy----got big problems where there will be delay in repairs-----trade, get a new one----getting hard in the days now of $10,000 scooters----and to think Sears Vespa were sold @$325 for years
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: The ol Burger vs SW issue   The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 3:38 pm

John whilst in the main I agree with your comments. The one I would disagree with you on is the 400/650 Burgman. They are as you are probably aware two totally differing machines. The share the same name but the similarities stop there in my view so a comparison is pointless. The engine size apart, the differences are massive. Transmission, electrics, frame - blah blah blah the list just goes on.

Myself, as a previous 400 Burgman owner considered the 650 as a natural step up. But, and this is where I do agree with John. Did my homework. The bigger Suzuki had far more negative points than the Wing by a long way.

Once you have ridden a Silver Wing there is no turning back, it is superior in so many areas. (Regards a comparison between the Suzuki and Honda.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The ol Burger vs SW issue   The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 5:42 pm

I agree on Burgman 400 and 650---apples and oranges. I have ridden 650, liked and bought 400 as it seemed better. Simple comparison---600SilverWing seems to be better deal than Burgman 650---and $1500 price difference.

Just finished front tire change on NT----designed by idiots---Honda recommends draining brake system to remove caliphers----found way around. 100 degree F temperatures make tires easier to go on and off rims. Just think of dark nite/rain/repair along the road.

By the way these Bridgestones/BT020 were much easier to work with than the OEM Bridgestone that came on my SilverWing
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: The ol Burger vs SW issue   The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:20 am

At 5'7'' feet are flat on the ground on the berg 400 and swing and on a 650 berg i'm on my toes. big diff there
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The ol Burger vs SW issue   The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 2:02 pm

tubeck wrote:
At 5'7'' feet are flat on the ground on the berg 400 and swing and on a 650 berg i'm on my toes. big diff there
+1 While it may be said that this is due to a wider 650 seat, I personally think it is "unnecessarily wider" seat. The Silver Wing is just wide enough and there is no extra comfort from sitting on the B650's seat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The ol Burger vs SW issue   The ol Burger vs SW issue I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The ol Burger vs SW issue
Page 1 of 1