Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 9:35 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?

Go down 
+50
stbne
smellybeard
Ty1967
cello33
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
FrancoisJ
NWSSC
DJ Charles
Mudnman
Greysilver
ericclapham
ScooterBJ
Lugho
billc.
JoeMack
DaveR
Wing Commander
WingMan02
Colin B
Waspie
Old Limey
paul.delo451
Meldrew
tinman
RamblinRedhead
Winger61
AAAA
JeffR_
bigbird
surlybiker58
txtrkdrvr
tubeck
crahar
matthew
model28a
papa johns
DennisB
honda_silver
chieninhouston
skydad99
mr fish
mikbak
DickO
MikeH
The Scootist
Bernardo
skiwoods
dspevack
JeffR
54 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? Empty
PostSubject: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi everyone,

It was brought to my attention that we don't have any sticky's on this forum. Someone has requested, and it is a very good request, to place a sticky so it will stay at the top of the "Topic". So I am putting this here to ask all the members about any serious issues with the Silver Wing.

I know that there were a couple of recalls/issues very early on but those have been resolved years ago. Do any of you know of issues concerning reliability, safety, or just issues with comfort? I don't what this to be a post where riders say "well the shield could be higher", or "I wish the seat was lower". But rather recall issues or serious trouble issues. I know with the '07 and later Burgman 400 they have had issues with the clutch, so that is the feedback I would like. I'm not denigrating the Burgman but just using it as an example. That is one of the newest bikes out and the new ones seem to have a problem or two, for the first couple of years.

So please come back with any serious issues that Honda just hasn't seemed to fix. Personally, I just can't remember any or know of any, but I do seem to remember they had a recall or two early on. I have only had the SWing for 2 years but after a lot of research I just don't think the SWing has been aflicted with any serious trouble.

Thanks,

JeffR
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:33 pm

One problem I have been told about is the seat, you have to make sure its closed down correctly, or it leaves the trunk light on and then drains the battery.
\
the fix was to take out the bulb. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Jeff,
I'm sure somewhere on the other board they had listed a site to go to to find out if your bike had any recalls, You could list the site and people could check their own recalls. Even tho they were years ago people are always buying older ones used without a history, so they will be curious.

Holding the handbrake all the way in and putting up the kickstand in order to start the bike is another common one.

As mentioned above the trunk light is another common one.

Most people still don't realize the speedo is inaccurate or why.

Since there won't be many super-important things coming out, how about making a sticky
that details typical gotchya's:
"FAQ for new Silverwing owners: How to get the most out of your bike."
Then you can put all of the above in there and more, along with links to the individual board topics. You can link to the FAQ on a Site Welcome message. I invite you to consider that part of the Sticky should be a reminder to search for the information on both this and other boards (Your board is strong enough now to consider .org as a sister board rather than competition and there is no reason not to cross-promote. Most users are members of both boards anyway.) for answers. Let your sticky advertise that we are an active and involved community and have many of the answers they are looking for. They simply have to search what is already out there, and then ask any specific questions about details.

Dan
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Dan,

That is a good idea of yours. The reason I haven't done that,mention your site, is not because I think of anyone as "competition" but just because I didn't think of it. I also thought that everyone knows of www.silverwing.org , the site you moderate, and the Silver Wing site on the Yahoo Groups.

Here is a link for recalls for many cycles: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/01/honda/index.html

Thanks for the help Dan.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 11:55 pm

Jeff,
I'm really glad to hear that there is no rivalry.
It's only natural when creating a new site that does something similar to another site, that you want to nurture your base and not have them look to a more mature site for information. You've done a really good job with this site and it has grown tremendously. People are getting a lot of good information here. Also while I do mod on the other site it no more belongs to me than this site belongs to DennisB or jdeeranton. We poor and humble mods live to serve our webtastic overlords Smile
:ufo:
:Not Worthy:

Last edited by dspevack on Tue May 05, 2009 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 11:05 am

OK Dan and Jeff, I'm getting all choked up here - the two of you play well together!

FYI, I visit both forums and participate equally in both. They both have their own unique character, and that is good. Their is enough room in the Silver Wing cyber world for both, and that's a good thing. As we say in Chicago, "thanks to 'dabothuvya" for your efforts on your respective forums!
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi Fellas,

Well I can think of a quite important issue regarding the S'wing... Namely, it can severely affect ones free time and disposable income. For instance after all the Mods, I even went and bought a bike aswell.... As to free time, well notwithstanding being out riding the S'wing, there is all the time spent on internet forums.... Shocked Smile
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: problems with the Swing   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:34 am

While I have not (yet) had this problem, I recall that a few months ago Bernardo mentioned a problem with his wheels losing air pressure due to corrosion inside the rims. Bernardo, perhaps you could correct my fuzzy recollection here.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 5:25 pm

The Scootist wrote:
While I have not (yet) had this problem, I recall that a few months ago Bernardo mentioned a problem with his wheels losing air pressure due to corrosion inside the rims. Bernardo, perhaps you could correct my fuzzy recollection here.

Yep, its all in the maintenance section...

https://www.silverwing600.com/maintenance-tips-and-hints-f7/corroded-wheels-and-bad-tyre-pressure-t139.htm?sid=a9550fa7ac00045b054a6b8cd2ee4e3a

And no problems with tyre pressure since getting the powder coat. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:38 am

steve0 wrote:
One problem I have been told about is the seat, you have to make sure its closed down correctly, or it leaves the trunk light on and then drains the battery.
\
the fix was to take out the bulb. Crying or Very sad

Why the sad face? You should carry a good LED or halogen penlight in your tool kit anyway, so what's the point of the trunk light?

I hate dead batteries, so I'm going to pull the bulb just as a matter of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:41 am

Bernardo wrote:
Hi Fellas,

Well I can think of a quite important issue regarding the S'wing... Namely, it can severely affect ones free time and disposable income. For instance after all the Mods, I even went and bought a bike aswell.... As to free time, well notwithstanding being out riding the S'wing, there is all the time spent on internet forums.... Shocked Smile

I hear you. I bought a New Beetle diesel in 1999 to "save money". Endless tinkering and mods later I'd spent $40,000 on my $20,000 car and wasted hundreds of gallons of fuel driving it for no reason. I would have spent less money had I bought a boring, gas-guzzling SUV.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:27 am

mickey wrote:
Bernardo wrote:
Hi Fellas,

I hear you. I bought a New Beetle diesel in 1999 to "save money". Endless tinkering and mods later I'd spent $40,000 on my $20,000 car and wasted hundreds of gallons of fuel driving it for no reason. I would have spent less money had I bought a boring, gas-guzzling SUV.

Yes but, perhaps you are missing something here! You say you drove it for miles "for no reason"..... Well surely you drove it because you enjoyed it! OK it was expensive, but it must have been a good project, since you clearly got some sense of achievement from it. It must have captured your imagination somehow.

Apart from perhaps vintage machines (cars and bikes), you never get a return on your investment. Even the best machines depreciate. So it's not really about the money, or the time you spend on it, but the experience..... At the end of the day its more about what it does for you, rather than the money. Well that's my excuse. Looking back now to when I got the scoot, I realise that I needed something because I was a bit fed up and depressed. I had an old VW campervan which I loved, yet we never used. The Mrs as it turns out doesn't like camping that much. So it was more of a mobile playground for the kids, and handy for moving the odd bit of furniture around. It just sat there a little sad looking and forlorn..... It kinda broke my heart. So I sold it, and made much more money than I thought I would. With the money, I bought a laptop computer, a widescreen TV, my Silver Wing, and along with it a whole load of self respect back, and the beginnings of a project that whilst not cheap, worked wonders for my sense of self. Plus I now have a much faster, better handling, and more economical scoot than I used to! And I got into various forums on the internet to chat about it. One day I might have the time to actually meet up with folk... Hopefully in mid June.....

I have to say that I probably ride my bike and scoot more for the experience and enjoyment than anything else. Though they can be a useful mode of transport too!!

Happy Riding!
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:34 am

My SWing has a serious tracking problem. The damn thing won't go straight. I take it to the store to pick up a few things, and it won't go straight home. It always finds the longest route possible. Smile
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi All,
Just as a side note::::: Was this really going to be a serious thread????? Laughing Razz bounce cyclops 🍺 :bounce1:

chickendance :mallet: :ROTF:

:thank you:
Back to top Go down
mikbak
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikbak

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 5:21 am

MikeH wrote:
My SWing has a serious tracking problem. The damn thing won't go straight. I take it to the store to pick up a few things, and it won't go straight home. It always finds the longest route possible. Smile

Seriously ...

I had a problem with my Stearing Head bearings 'notching' hadn't noticed it until it failed it's UK MOT Sad

Can be found by slowly moving handlebars from side to side slowly, the 'notch' is noticeable in the center position.
Back to top Go down
http://www.maxi-touring.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 8:17 am

mikbak wrote:
MikeH wrote:

Seriously ...

I had a problem with my Stearing Head bearings 'notching' hadn't noticed it until it failed it's UK MOT Sad

Can be found by slowly moving handlebars from side to side slowly, the 'notch' is noticeable in the center position.

That is quite common on all motor cycles.Not just silver wing .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 7:07 am

Well one of the things I have had a problem with is that when I put too much in the underseat compartment then I can't get it opened. It actually did it at the dealership open house. So I got one of the service guys and he got it opened. I don't have things packed in there but it doesn't seem to take much for that to jam. I'm looking forward to getting my Givi trunk put on...I really need more storage space!!!!
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 9:56 am

Coralee,
The way to open the seat if it won't unlatch is simply to press down in the middle (right in front of the rider's butt rest). When too much stuff is in the underseat compartment it will cause the seat pan to actually bow up a little in the middle. This in turn puts enough force on the rear latch to prevent it from opening. Pushing down on the center of the seat unloads the rear latch enough that it will click open after you have turned the key.

p.s. Love your tag line. It's one of my wife's favorite sayings. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 10:30 am

Thanks...I know I carry too much "stuff" and at some point you will see me riding down the road with a trailer just to carry it all!! Smile
I love that sayings also, even have a T-shirt with that one. I also love "the road less traveled". My dad used to recommend that book. The first line in the book is "life is difficult"...I love it!
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:15 pm

MikeH wrote:

Damn this could be serious... That happened to me today!

I've been busy of late frantically trying to finish a case study I am writing for my post grad certificate, so have not been out that much. So when I realised that we needed some groceries, I climbed on the S'wing to get them..... Well the supermarket is on the outskirts of town, not far from the open roads and a 60mh speed limit.... I thought damn the supermarket and shot past going for a wee ride first before getting the groceries. On the way back I think a Honda Varadero, or Suzuki 1,000 V-Strom thundered past.... He was going at a fair lick, and at first I thought it was a crotch rocket (saw him in the mirrors) so I let him past, and then after he had gone by decided to keep up..... I couldn't match his accleration could only pass 2 to 3 cars to his 4 to 5, but every time I caught up with him, I noticed he glanced in the mirror and would overtake another few cars..... Then after a while he'd look in the mirror again and there I was right behind again...... So he'd accelerate off and overtake a few more cars, onmly to find me right behind him again failry soon after.... It was kinda fun. Once in town there wasn't as much room for him to manouvere as he had panniers on so couldn't fit between the slow/stationary cars....... But the turn off came up for the supermarket, so I saved him any extra embaressment, and went to get the groceries rather than scooting past.... Twisted Evil Smile On a final note, I reckon the handling of the scoot with my odd tyre setup, and progressive front springs is more nimble than my Yamaha bike which is a little heavier right enough, but with with bigger wheels and grippy metzelers..... Anyway, once I did the shopping I pushed the supermarket trolley up to the scoot and loaded up several bagfuls of shopping to the bemusement of several passersby and rode home feeling happier and more laid back again.... Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 10:11 pm

Bernardo,

I do the same thing as you...ride past the store first and then go there about 1/2 hour or so later. Makes going to the store fun and I just tell my wife it was really busy. :ROTF: I also like to take the shopping cart out to the scoot and watch as others look at what I'm doing. I can fit about 8 or our grocery bags, which are the smaller plastic ones, in my scoot.. the people just stare at me when I do this. You guys over there sure get a lot of bikes we don't get. I've never heard of a Veradero, or others you guys get. Must be nice to have such a large selection.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Ride a Silver Wing, risk getting addicted to bikes aswell...   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 6:31 am

Jeff

This summer, starting next week when I've completed the work for my course (which I'm supposed to be doing right now, but have been seduced away again) I'm going to enjoy test riding various other machines, though for the moment I seem to have my heart set on a Yamaha Fazer 1000, but the older torquier carb model. I should be able to keep my Mrs agreeable and afford one by next summer. The Honda Varadero however isn't on my list, as its heavier than my yamaha, and only a little more bhp, though better torque.....

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-XL1000-Varadero-2001--current/?&R=EPI-336

Beisdes I think I have a thing for the 4 cylinder bikes, or maybe even the Triumph Tiger triple, now that is a lovely machine, if a bit tall. A lowering kit and taller screen is needed for that one......

I still need to have a go on a Suzuki V-Strom 1000 which is the suzuki equivalent, over 100bhp and a bit more torque than I have on my yamaha, and lighter. Plus price wise these are affordable.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Suzuki/Suzuki-DL1000-V-Strom-2002-current/?&R=EPI-406

It's all money money money..... You test ride, and then think what you would need to do to tweak it to how you like..... sigh. The Fazer other than needing a taller screen seemed "just right", and plenty powerful enough, though its still tweakable.... That by the way is something to be wary of with regard to insurance, as even for my S'wing I had to shop around a bit to find a company that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for the performance mods.

The only other machine I've ridden that really felt right was the BMW R1200GS, but even a second hand one is twice the price of a same age Fazer. Also the Fazer feels much quicker and aggressive, but also has that laid back "cruise a long" feel if you ride easy and are gentle on the revs. That is what I'm after, and being able to do it in comfort....

Yep that Silver wing has sure spoilt me for bikes and scoots. I sometimes think that if I hadn't have done all the mods to the Wing, and had tested more bikes before buying the Yamaha diversion, I'd have enough money now to buy a Fazer.... But I'd have missed out on all the fun tweaking the Wing, and perhaps not as gone into test riding other bikes as much....

I was thinking I usually write a review when I've tested a bike... I've already written a few. Should I post them here on the general section? Would anyone be interested?

For what its worth, The S'wing usually wins overall for its versatility and comfort, and only really loses out on brute power and torque.... If I'd never tried any of the other bikes, than I'd probably be content with owning the S'wing alone.

Then again what waste of space having just one machine in the garage when you could have 2, hmmmmm?! or maybe, even three....!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 4:57 am

Bernardo, please post your reviews. It's allways interesting what others think of other bikes.
In my opinion Varadero 1000 is too plain. It is not as nimble as one would want and too heavy for even lightest offroad riding. My friend had one, he couldn't keep up with us on Dominators. It's very comfortable on the highway thou.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 3:41 pm

As a new owner (3 days), I noticed a few problems with my SW:
1. The darn weather has been crappy (rainy and cold) and I can't ride!!! I need to add some miles, only 28ml so far.
2. On a more serious note, I think that the trunk latch is a bit clumsy. A few times, I actually left the trunk un-latched because it seems that it needs a good push on the end to lock. I am not sure either light is on at that point. Also, it takes at least 2-3 turns of the key to unlock it (not much inside).
Thanks.
Gunars: you are in Riga, I've been there a few times, I am originally from Kiev.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 4:39 pm

Miro:
If you leave the seat unlatched, the compartment light stays on and will eventually run down your battery. If you plan to do that often you might want to remove the light bulb.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm

After looking for a button (that must be pushed by the seat) for a while, I just removed the light bulb. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:03 pm

I took both my Reflex (41K) and my Silverwing (56K) to the dealer for new tires and drive belts. They checked the brake pads. Both scoots needed new rear pads but the front ones on each were ok. I have tried to squeeze both brake handles equally and each braking I use both. What might I be doing wrong?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Just like in cars, there will be a different brakes wear (from front to back ) in scooters. This might be due to:
1. "rear wheel drive"
2. Honda combined brake system (I am sure it's been discussed here before)
3. More weight on one wheel vs. the other.
4. You're being righty vs. lefty (different pressure on levers)
Thanks. Miro.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 4:05 am

gunars wrote:
Bernardo, please post your reviews. It's allways interesting what others think of other bikes.
In my opinion Varadero 1000 is too plain. It is not as nimble as one would want and too heavy for even lightest offroad riding. My friend had one, he couldn't keep up with us on Dominators. It's very comfortable on the highway thou.

The Dominator was a great machine, I think I was told that by everyone that rode one.... I never did ride one myself.... Was it the Africa Twin that took over from them, and now they have even stopped making them aswell.... You still see a few around though.

I stopped next to a Varadero the other day whilst on my S'wing. It was huge.... It seemed bigger in just about everyway, and the seat height a good few inches higher aswell.

I'll go through the different reviews that I have written and start posting them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:47 am

Dominator 650ccm engine is still used on some Honda models. Although a bit de-forced version. Original was 44hp and now it is down to 36hp. Althou bike is reliable there are reports of failed engines at around 60k kms. And repair costs are high.
Africa Twin is 750ccm V-twin engine. And very thirsty one. Something around 12l/100km! I'd say that Varadero is next generation of Africa Twin.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 12:33 pm

Two of my riding buds have varedaros great for the road not so hot off it though the engine is from the vtr firestorm so has side mounted rads (not good if it falls over)another guy has a kawasaki klv (rebadged vstrom suzuki) which is a bit better all round personally if i were going around the world a yamaha tenere or bmw gs800
or maybe my silverwing lol

p.s i do like africa twins better than varederos
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 2:31 pm

I had a recall on my S'wing. The gas tank had to be replaced. This was very serious.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:30 pm

mr fish wrote:
Two of my riding buds have varedaros great for the road not so hot off it though the engine is from the vtr firestorm so has side mounted rads (not good if it falls over)another guy has a kawasaki klv (rebadged vstrom suzuki) which is a bit better all round personally if i were going around the world a yamaha tenere or bmw gs800
or maybe my silverwing lol

p.s i do like africa twins better than varederos

Agree with you on the BMW GS 800... A pity they don't make a variant with the tele lever and paralever suspension as per the GS 1200.... I've ridden both and the 1200 is pretty awesome amazing on road handling and more than enough power for most bikers unless you're a real petrol-head. The 800 paled a bit after the 1200.... That said for off road, I reckon the 800 is the better machine being lighter.... The 1200 is surely too heavy for serious off road use. Then again Charlie and Ewan did ride around the world on the even heavier, less powerful 1150s.

I stopped my S'wing next to a varadero once and the damn thing was huge! I also read they are a bit heavy on petrol......
Back to top Go down
skydad99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:06 am

driftwoodpoint wrote:
Thanks...I know I carry too much "stuff" and at some point you will see me riding down the road with a trailer just to carry it all!! Smile
I love that sayings also, even have a T-shirt with that one. I also love "the road less traveled". My dad used to recommend that book. The first line in the book is "life is difficult"...I love it!

Hey Coralee and Mike. The instructor when I took the MSF Rider's Edge Safety Course last year is named Skip Harrison. He took a 10,000 mile trip on his Goldwing a few summers ago and wrote a book detailing the trip which is actually a daily log of the trip. The title of his book is "All Who Wander Aren't Lost". I think you can get it at Amazon. I bought one from him at the end of the course and found it really interesting as well as informative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: gas tank issue   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 9:59 pm

I have a 2004 Swing and recently I pulled into a station to top off the tank, which was quite empty. When I removed the cap from the filler neck, gas shot out the neck and drenched me and the whole scoot. The gas came out under a lot of pressure, and it was very fortunate that no fire started. As I stood there covered with gas, watching fuel run down on the hot exhaust, I tried to figure out what had gone wrong. Anybody ever have this happen to them?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Captlucky,

You should check this link out about the gas tank:

http://scootertrap.com/2003%20Honda%20Silverwing%20Fuel%20System%20Recall.pdf

I would read this carefully and then take this in to your dealer. If it falls under this recall they have to repair it for free. Look at the date at towards the top of the link. Keep us informed of the fix if you would. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 am

[quote="mickey"]
Bernardo wrote:
Hi Fellas,

I had a 99 diesel beetle too. Traded in for Honda CR-V at the point of about $17000 repairs, jumped ship earlier than you. I am glad VW does not sell motorcycles here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 am

Quote :
I stopped my S'wing next to a varadero once and the damn thing was huge! I also read they are a bit heavy on petrol......

So is SWing! My friend had varadero and we went to annual technical inspection together (we have to do such by law) and I compared them both standing side by side. Not too much of the size difference except height.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Dash Fuse Blowing   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Good day all, I wanted to get this issue out to some fellow Wingers who may find it of help. I'm 46 and have been a mech-nic most of my life so one of things I've learned to hate is electrical issues. Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? Suspect They can be a real B%@$H to find. So guess what? I'm on the hunt. My 10amp (Horn Meter) fuse was burning on occasion. Since my 03 had less then 200 miles on it I knew all the wiring was good and fresh. So common cents suggested to look around moving parts Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? Icon_idea Not 2 many places w/moving parts on this thing so my focus went to the steering and forks. I don't mind learning but getting the body off this thing was a bear. I noticed a polished area on the corner of my fork bearing cap. Rolled the harness over and there it was Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? Icon_cheers It was cut by the cap from turning. Which explained the intermittent fuse disposal some times when I made R turn. The factory had closed the wire loom keepers to close so I arranged them to where it wouldn't be an issue. So if U hear of someone burning fuse's tell'em what I had found. Thanks to Honda for setting me straight with posting photos.
Well B Safe and Stay Frosty.

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? Pict2019

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? Pict2018

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? Pict2017

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? Pict2016

Last edited by Red on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:14 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Ah! I'll figure this out. Thanks Honda and Dennis)
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Red wrote:
I wanted to attach some photos but looking around here I see no means to do so. Well B Safe and Stay Frosty.

https://www.silverwing600.com/tips-on-using-this-site-f8/posting-pictures-in-the-main-forum-in-any-topic-t850.htm#6929
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Hey Red,

Welcome to the forum and thank's for the good information.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 12:15 am

Red,

Thanks for the good info and the photo's. Also, welcome to the forum and please try to be an active member. It seems you could offer a lot of info with your background. There are quite a few knowledgeable members here to also give advice. How do you like the SWing?
Back to top Go down
papa johns
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: 21,000 and not a bit of trouble   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Problems have been conspicuousness absent for the 2+ years and 21,000 I'm just getting ready with this sites help to change Belt and replaceable drive parts. I have change the final drive Oil and keep the Oil Changes coming along regularly. some times I'm bothered by a harmonic rattle that seems to happen in the lower throttle range but goes away with some speed. I'm about ready to jump into the expense of a valve adjustment and tune up. Sparky's are new, Oil new, Final drive New.I've never checked the coolant. and I may need to look at the brake Pads. it's a 2007 that I bought with 50 miles on it in august 2008. I've Change tire once.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi Papa johns,

"I'm about ready to jump into the expense of a valve adjustment and tune up."

Holly smokes...valve adjustment and tune up! Tune-up is new plugs....A valve adjustment...Gee, I have never heard of a Silverwing needing one at 21,000 miles. I just think you would be throwing your money away.

Last edited by DennisB on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 11:20 pm

papa johns
At 21,000 I think I would replace the belt. Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? Icon_cherry
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:25 am

And how have you gotten away with a single tire change in 21K miles? I really need to know!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:07 pm

papajohns,

I don't think you would need the valve adjustment unless you have experienced a decrease in mpg's or it running differently. Maybe just have them check them instead of adjusting them. I hear it is about a $400 job but not really sure. I change my belt now at about 16,000 miles, except for the first time when I changed to the Kevlar belt, since I would hate for it to break and get me in a bind.

Has anyone on this site adjusted your valves yet? And did you notice a performance difference before and after?
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 2:15 pm

The only problem I've had is managing enough riding time, and I can't blame the scoot for that. Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? 744535
Craig
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:40 am

the only serious problem that arises comes from who is riding on the bike
Back to top Go down
txtrkdrvr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
txtrkdrvr

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:18 pm

2009 SWing, 8,800 miles of strictly in city driving. The bike was purchased in Feb 2010 new and sat untouched for 11 months due to family problems. I average 51 mpg.

The only issues/complaints I've had with my SWing are as follows:

1. The clip the holds the mechanism for the fuel filler door latch repeatedly fell off until I took it back to the dealer where they replaced it free of charge. The bike was well out of warranty when they did so.

2. The mechanism that unlocks the seat latch is "barbaric" at best. My 400 Burg was far superior in this respect. I traded the burg on the SWing.

3. A small bar crosses the fuel filler neck and when pumping fuel if you hit it just right it will spray back fuel. Poor design.

4. I've had one flat rear tire (tyre) and made the mistake of taking it to the local Honda dealership. Next time I will be doing the "dark side". I've already lined up a local shop that will gladly do it and he's a fraction of the price of the dealer.

Other than what I listed this scoot has been very reliable and easy to maintain. The only mod I'm considering other than the tire (tyre) is a Cee Baily dark tint windshield. At $85 it's a lot cheaper than some I've priced online.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next