Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:44 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Today at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

control or narrow the beam of an LED light

Go down 
+3
XDM©
Meldrew
steve_h80
7 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

control or narrow the beam of an LED light Empty
PostSubject: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 1:40 am

In this regard to advice I still went ahead and brought LED lights for my motorcycle fully knowing that the reflectors are not made for it resulting in poor light spread on my bike LED.
Well you know what they say, a hard head leads to a sore 🐴...
So I was wondering if there's some kind of either third party reflector or way I can artificially modify and control the beam of my LED lights?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 2:22 am

Or just face defeat and go back to standard 😁
But first have you adjusted the beam height on the lamp? As standard it points way too low, once wound up the SW has a very good spread of lights. It's a little wheel thing under the light, just get down by the front wheel and reach under the fairing.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 4:29 am

steve_h80 wrote:
Or just face defeat and go back to standard 😁
But first have you adjusted the beam height on the lamp? As standard it points way too low, once wound up the SW has a very good spread of lights. It's a little wheel thing under the light, just get down by the front wheel and reach under the fairing.
I have adjusted the direction but in order for it to even be anywhere visible I have to put it all the way up which is just a blasting light and everyone's face other than the road and it's too wide but I can see the ground but it's just not very far.
One of the reasons I went with led is because it's very a annoying to change lights on this bike having to take apart half the bike to get to the lamp enclosure so I brought led with long life.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 7:47 am

I have 9 years and over 25K on my scoot and still have not lost a headlight. Granted they are a pain to change but for me: 1. New bulbs are ridiculously cheap and 2. I seldom ride at night much anymore so...
Something like this works well:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-H7-Standard-Halogen-Replacement-Headlight-Bulb-2-Pack/466001691

IMHO stay away from Silver Star and the like, they are a bit brighter but at the expense of shorter life.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 8:17 am

If you can get that screen garnish off without breaking the tabs, it's pretty straightforward to change the upper headlight bulb. The rubber bulb cover can stick on if it's never been disturbed , and a coat of rubber lubricant before replacing it makes it easier to remove in future.

The lower bulb can be changed by feeling up underneath the headlight, and again coating the bulb cover with rubber lubricant is good practice.

Neither of my headlight bulbs blew during my 8 years of ownership, I only changed them because the OE bulbs weren’t that good on pitch black nights. Upgrading them was money well spent.

The ball aching job is those useless pilot bulbs, and fishing them out of the headlamp reflector it you've daft enough to attempt removing them.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 10:33 am

XDM, should you decide to go back to a halogen light, there are upgrades available. 

You can up the output  (and draw) by installing the 65w Vosla German replacement bulbs from Daniel Stern.  I bought a pair of them to try out but have yet to install them.  This will likely happen within the next month along with some other electrickity upgrades I have lined up.

The bulbs Daniel Stern steered me to are found in the linky below.  In the Top Quality Bulbs section, they are the last replacement bulbs listed ... the H7 - 65 watt, 2100 lumen ones. 

http://danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

There is also some interesting reading on his website if you are so inclined.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 12:15 pm

I recall seeing a project where someone successfully installed a LED projector assembly in a Silverwing headlight. However it required separating the lens from the headlight body.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-20

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 1:04 pm

These are the ones I used. I didn't have a problem with the width of the beam. The reflector in the SW is spherical and should be able to handle the correct angle regardless of how the LED is installed. But since the LED element rotates, I made sure to position it with the LED's directed exactly left and right (90 & 270 degrees).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P86R9X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Which LED's did you acquire?
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 2:39 pm

The Dude wrote:
These are the ones I used. I didn't have a problem with the width of the beam. The reflector in the SW is spherical and should be able to handle the correct angle regardless of how the LED is installed. But since the LED element rotates, I made sure to position it with the LED's directed exactly left and right (90 & 270 degrees).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P86R9X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Which LED's did you acquire?

I installed these ones
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N01QE3S/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_S1H7NAKDVQY7EMFYF4NA
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 2:43 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
I have 9 years and over 25K on my scoot and still have not lost a headlight. Granted they are a pain to change but for me: 1. New bulbs are ridiculously cheap and 2. I seldom ride at night much anymore so...
Something like this works well:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-H7-Standard-Halogen-Replacement-Headlight-Bulb-2-Pack/466001691

IMHO stay away from Silver Star and the like, they are a bit brighter but at the expense of shorter life.

I brought me a good set of halogen night breakers and they lasted me for about five or six months which I feel like is ridiculously low.
I work and ride primarily at night and the part where there are little to no lights so it's pitch dark and surrounded by just trees so I need very bright headlights.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 2:49 pm

Maybe auxiliary lights are what you need?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 3:30 pm

Here’s the link to the projector LED headlight conversion:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t12208-projector-headlight-conversion
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 4:34 pm

I certainly understand the need for bright lights but for what little I drive at night a change is not worth the dosh...

A friend sent me info on a LED projector conversion for my Nissan Frontier. It was a really sweet conversion and was considering it; new projectors and everything, I was enthused until I saw the price! Just south of $1000. USD. Passed on that one too Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-20

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 8:16 pm

A lot of the new LED's are smaller, many are now available without fans.

The ones I bought required a little modification of the socket to secure the led in, and the rubber moisture boot couldn't be installed. But I fashioned my own boot and there was no permanent modification needed. Just a couple holes drilled to run cable ties through to secure the LED.

I will take some pictures since I plan on removing the fairing again to re-position some auxiliary LEDs.

I highly recommend the AUX Led's. I will take some before/after shots to show the difference. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: control or narrow the beam of an LED light   control or narrow the beam of an LED light I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

control or narrow the beam of an LED light
Page 1 of 1