Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!

Go down 
+5
jdeereanton
JeffR
honda_silver
"Hi Yo"
matthew
9 posters
AuthorMessage
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! Empty
PostSubject: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:00 pm

I was beginning to lose faith that Spring would ever arrive, here in the mountains of northern NM. It's been four months! since I've ridden, but today, God must've figured He'd tested my patience long enough, cuz we have here a most magnificent Spring-like day, sunny and dry dry dry dry dry!, temps in the mid to upper 50's!

The muddy, soggy, rutted, at times impassable dirt road that I have to negotiate is also, finally!, DRY. So I moved my bike up to a neighbor's property for parking under my BikeBarn, and this alone will eliminate the absolute worst parts of this road, and today - who could've believed it just a few short days ago - I got to ride.

The battery had, finally, died after four months of no use and no charging, and cold outdoor storage, so I brought it indoors a few days ago and charged it up, then put it on the battery tender for a couple more days, then left it unplugged over night to make sure it was holding its charge. Put it back into the Swing this morning and vrrrrrrrooooom! it cranked right into that purrrr we like so much.

Cleaned up the bike, checked and filled the tires, listened for any untoward noises (none to be heard), and off I went, just like winter had never happened.

Rode the nice and easy 30 miles into town, went to the gym, and rode on back, cruising through this gorgeous day with a bit of a smile on my face, but more than that, a nice warm feeling of being, literally, "back in the saddle again".

The bike performed just like it has been Spring all along, never missed a beat, never complained, happy to be out on the road, viewing those still-snow-covered mountains in the distance.
Halleluia!

So today is officially Spring here in my neighborhood, regardless of what the calendar says. Riding season has begun! Of course, it can snow in June around here, and the next couple of months are still iffy, but I've been given the gift of the ride. It almost does seem like winter never happened.

What!??? Am I Crazy!???...............................................
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! Icon_cheers Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! Icon_cheers Yep, it's springtime in Texas too! Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! 186319
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:23 pm

Right/Ride On!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 5:07 am

It will be at least the first week in April before anyone is riding around here .
We are expecting more snow today . You are lucky ,I have not ridden since
September . I am happy for you Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 7:17 am

Wow. Sounds like you get to ride only about 5 months of the year. Ouch.
Makes me count my blessings.

Stay warm anyway, and remember, April is now just around the corner!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 9:26 am

We get about five months here ,and then we sometimes do a month in Florida Feb or March.We can usually ride here into Nov so
it is not as bad as it sounds at first glance.
We plan on a week next Nov buy towing south until it is warm enough to ride . In your logo it says insole pads in gloves .What do you mean buy that ?

Last edited by Excell on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add on)
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:04 am

It's for vibration reduction. I got the idea from someone else on this, or another forum, and it's the inexpensive option to buying gel pad gloves, and it works really well too:

buy the cheapest shoe insole pads you can find (like the generic version of Dr. Scholl's), and cut roundish pieces that will fit nicely inside your riding gloves in the palm area - get the right size and placement for you before you glue them in - then glue them in there. I think I used just a common glue stick and it's worked fine.
You want to leave the lined side of the pad against your hand, of course.

It really helps reduce hand vibration from the bike, and in combination with something like grip puppies virtually eliminates any troubling effects.

I'm glad to hear that you get to ride more than I thought.
And best thoughts and prayers for your speedy recovery from your upcoming surgery.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 am

matthew wrote:
It's for vibration reduction. I got the idea from someone else on this, or another forum, and it's the inexpensive option to buying gel pad gloves, and it works really well too:

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=26928#pid26928
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Thanks for the idea Bill, even though I didn't remember it was yours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:01 am

The best thing that I found to eliminate hand fatigue is electronic cruise control
It is beyond a doubt the best add on there is for me any way .
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 10:14 am

Matthew,

It is nice to ride for those of you that can't during the winter. Since I moved to California about 14 years ago I have gotten used to riding all year around. Here is a picture of our last group ride a week ago.

Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! P1050311
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 10:32 am

Hey JeffR

Having lived in California - in and around Santa Cruz - for about 9 years before coming to NM 20 years ago, those rolling green hills in the picture seem familiar. I'm only a little jealous of your year round riding, and this winter especially has been the wettest and most difficult in the past 18 years around here. Since I only took up riding three years ago, this has been my third winter, and by far the worst.
Last two winters I could ride most of the time, even if it was cold, but not this year.

Ride safe.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Was able to get a short 160 mile ride in today. Kim on her SilverWing and two bikes joined us. It was brisk, but tolerable. Tomorrow will be warmer by a few degrees, but I have too much work to dao after church so will have to pass on riding tomorrow.

The ride today was more a pretext to wash the bikes and get them ready for the season. Glad to have the bath out of the way.
Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! DSCF0016a
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Hey Dale

You folks don't have winter down there in AL do you? But I see you DO have identical Swings. Ride safe.

Now I've ridden three days in a row, so if I had any doubt about Spring actually having sprung here, I guess I can feel more confident now. Yes, we'll get some more cold weather, and probably some more snow too, but I'm thinking it's all bluster at this point, without a whole lot of umph. (May it be so!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Hey Jeff I think I reconize that pull off in the picture. What road is that on.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 7:31 am

We get winter here in North AL, but it is a bit of a joke.

Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:17 am

Hey Dale,

Thanks for the laughs this Sunday morning. You two have really learned how to handle those winters down there! I hope you had 4 wheel drive to help!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Dale,
That looks like a "normal snow" here in NE Tennessee. Mother Nature shot us a blank
the week before Christmas and dropped 8-9 inches on us. That is not what I have come to expect for this area. I applaud your courage driving through that big pile.

Wes Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Daredevil Dave...   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Oh come on now... you can't fool me. That was not a one day snow... it took at least a week to accumulate that much snow. Wouldn't surprise me it you admitted that was hauled in from Wisconsin. Shame on you for sending the wife across that busy street while you were in the safety of the car. By the way yall don't sound like you are from Alabama either. Razz
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Well, here I sit, watching the snow fall hard outside, already a good three inches on the ground with no signs of a let up. If this keeps up it could turn into one of the winter's deepest single snow falls, which of course will translate again into mud and ruts, and again no riding for a while.

Now though, the temps are higher, and melting will happen faster, and maybe drying out will be faster too. I admit I'm a little surprised that we're getting a snowfall with this much punch. I thought - and wanted to believe - that this sort of thing was done for this year. Oh well. Just goes to show me.

Yesterday was a beautiful high fifties sunny day. Supposed to do that again by Tuesday. I'm being patient.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 pm

matthew wrote:
Well, here I sit, watching the snow fall hard outside, already a good three inches on the ground with no signs of a let up. If this keeps up it could turn into one of the winter's deepest single snow falls, which of course will translate again into mud and ruts, and again no riding for a while.

It was 83 degrees today with no snow Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! Icon_smile.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi Bill,
Up here in NE Kansas we had our 10th ever highest snowfall. But I think you folks set a few records yourselves, right?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 12:09 am

DickO wrote:
But I think you folks set a few records yourselves, right?

We did have a snow record this year.

Our area had 3.5" - 4" of snow that was completely gone by the next morning ... my kind of snow.

The kids wanted to make a snowman ... the snow clump hung around for the next 4-5 days.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:37 am

We had 4 days of snow clouds here.... schools were down but, after the fourth day they decided that it might not snow so they opened the post office again and reopened the schools.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:20 am

So it did indeed turn into the deepest single snow fall of the winter, with a solid nine inches where I am, not counting drifts of course. Looks like we might have some sunshine mixed in with the clouds today to melt some of it off though.
I'm hoping. If not today, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny with a high temp in the mid fifties. That'll help.

Just for laughs, the forecast yesterday was for 1-3" of snow over night. We had 3" by six pm I'd say. NOT an exact science by any means.

A little more hesitantly than before...................I'll still wish us all a HAPPY SPRING!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 6:31 pm

I was lucky enough to ride this weekend and to and from work today. Unheard of here in the great white north. Roads are clear except for the damn salt and sand in the city but the highways are great. Earliest I've ever been able to ride here. The Wing just begged to come out of hibernation.
Back to top Go down
BlueSwing06
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BlueSwing06

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 12:46 am

I was able to ride most of last week. High in the mid 40's with rain. And one thunderstorm. All in all wasn't too bad. I couldn't wait any longer. And i needed to get in some more rain riding practice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 6:01 am

jeffp wrote:
I was lucky enough to ride this weekend and to and from work today. Unheard of here in the great white north. Roads are clear except for the damn salt and sand in the city but the highways are great. Earliest I've ever been able to ride here. The Wing just begged to come out of hibernation.
What part of the city are you in ? I saw a scoot in St Vital and wonder if it was you . Watch out for the sand at corners .I hope to get out today .
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:48 am

Happy Spring indeed, even for our neighbors in the Great White North.

The project I'm currently working has me scrambling and working weekends. I haven't had too many opportunities to ride so far. Possibly this coming Saturday if I'm able to attend to some of my household chores early.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:59 am

Wasn't me in St. Vital, I'm in North Kildonan. I was out Lockport way on Saturday followed by a cruise to Gimli. I must have seen 20 or so bikes out that day.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 am

Believe it or not, almost all of that nine inches of snow is gone - at least from the road, if not from all of the land - so now it'll be the mud to deal with, as in, no riding for me till that's all dried up. Sunny in the fifties today, and sixty tomorrow, so I'm thinking it won't take too long.

Oh, I'm keeping myself scooter occupied by thinking about the road trip I'm gonna take this spring/summer/fall (?) Looking at the maps, imagining routes, determining distances, etc. Nothing decided yet, but it's developing. A pretty good substitute for actually riding, under the circumstances.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Picture   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Fantastic picture! Is that the beautiful road (46) that leads from 101 by Paso Robles 9 (Atascadero) to Hi way 1 ?
I live in Santa Barbara and hope to be getting off on Sat and Sundays in the near future. Do you have any plans for a group ride in the next few months that I might be able to ride in?
I went out for a solo ride to Lake Cachuma and over to Solvang last week on Sunday. At one point I pulled over to remove my seat pad and was passed by 7 riders. Well that was just what I needed.
They were in the number one lane hailing assss fast. I got on and cranked my swing to the max and caught up to the last man that was ridding a BMW 1100 in no time.
We rode all the way back to Santa Barbara in perfect weather about a 50 min ride.
When we arrive, little did I know we all got off at the same exit and the BMW pulled up next to me and gave me an atta boy saying that I had a nice ride and that it looked smooth and comfortable.
I thanked him for the complement and returned one saying that one day I would like to ride a bike like his.
The light turned green and we all went our ways and I did not get a chance to find out any ones name.

JeffR wrote:
Matthew,

It is nice to ride for those of you that can't during the winter. Since I moved to California about 14 years ago I have gotten used to riding all year around. Here is a picture of our last group ride a week ago.

Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! P1050311
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!   Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spring Has Sprung For Me - Yippee!
Page 1 of 1