Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:15 am

» LF extended back rest
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First ride of Spring

Go down 
+8
oldwingguy
Modernman1953
terrier
dekare
Meldrew
Old Limey
Bash On!
Riggers
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2015-08-18

First ride of Spring Empty
PostSubject: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Spring has sprung today in England! Blue skies, birds singing, no wind, and just about 13 degrees C, which means I don't get white finger (that's 11 degrees C or less).

So I took the Swing for a spin to the seaside at Scarborough, which is around 50 miles away from where I live in Hull (Kingston Upon Hull on maps).

Set off at 11 am and was home again by 2:30 pm. Not the greatest tour ever but it was just a day when it felt good to be alive, and a delight to be out and about.

I'm 63 now and ever since being a lad of 16 the first rides of spring have always made me feel the same way. Full of the joys of spring!

Tomorrow is forecast to top 17 C! Balmy indeed for spring in England.

Safe riding.

Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Congrats! Went to England for my daughter's school trip a couple weeks ago and was surprised how warm it was. Walked around in shirt sleeves and only needed a jacket one or two mornings.

Here in Dallas we had no winter to speak of, so we miss the joy of wakening our two-wheelers from their cold-weather slumber.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 am

Yes it is spring in England. For those of us that have been riding all winter it usually means  now the fair weather riders will appear again, with their freshly polished bikes and latest riding gear. We now no longer have the roads to ourselves, now we have to watch out for riders overtaking ,not only cars, but other bikes usually in the most dangerous places. My best times for riding are early spring ( February to April and late Summer September to November) Like you Rigger I have been riding since i was sixteen,well enjoy the day no matter what the weather.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Yes the current weather is great. I'm currently at Lake Vyrnwy, Llanwddyn, Powys, in darkest Wales. There's shed loads of shiny new bikes ridden by shiny new riders about today, especially coming down through Cheshire and Shropshire.

Some were riding like dick heads of course, but that's normal as group rides tend to be like that as riders hate to be separated by something as trivial as normal traffic.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the biker population going on the up in the Spring, it's been normal practice for many years now only taxing the bike/scooter for six months instead of annually. No one has any sympathy for you if you injure yourself or damage your bike/scooter in winter conditions, or if salt corrosion ruins the finish on it. It's that 'riding season' thing again.

As the herd mentality is to inevitably head for the same bikers greasy spoon cafes in your region, it's pretty easy to avoid the roads and routes to them, and go play somewhere else. Avoiding the dark visored hordes on these roads and routes at weekends is one of the advantages of retirement, when you can go have your riding fix on weekdays.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Meldrew wrote:

Some were riding like dick heads of course, but that's normal as group rides tend to be like that as riders hate to be separated by something as trivial as normal traffic.

Ah, yes. Happens most times when testosterone gets together in a pack. Especially younger riders looking to out due to each other.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Avoiding the dark visored hordes on these roads and routes at weekends is one of the advantages of retirement, when you can go have riding fix on weekdays.

I'll second that one  sunny
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2017 11:00 pm

For me, every day is a Saturday.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 am

Smile no different here the best days are Tue, Wed, Thurs, except for a holiday then no where is THAT good. One thing thankfully is that most stick to the state routes leaving some real rood riding to the locals.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 3:15 am

Modernman1953 wrote:
For me, every day is a Saturday.  

For some reason it took me about six months after retiring to get over the excitement when Saturday came around. Finally everyday is a Saturday.LOL
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 5:48 am

I don't get this Saturday thing at all, from my own experience Saturday's are when roads are much busier, traffic is heavier on roads to the country, the coast, or popular destinations, cafés and restaurants are busier, parking places can be harder to find etc.

All this ramps up an extra notch or two on Bank/Public Hondays, when I lived in Cumbria I used to avoid rides in the nearby Lake District at weekends for that reason alone.

Of course most people work 9 to 5 Monday to Friday's and want to enjoy their weekend leisure time. I worked shifts before retiring and worked most weekends which was fine by me, so week days were mainly my days off. Retirement has changed nothing, I still prefer riding or visiting places on weekdays.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 am

I have some of my best rides on Saturdays, I find most people are in the town centres shopping, most of the country lanes are pretty traffic free, best Saturday of all is cup final day. Although riding during the week is mainly commercial traffic and farm machinery,not a problem really. Worst day is Sunday when the groups are out, cyclists, as well as motorcyclists and seem to compete with one another, cyclists to completely block roads by riding two or three abreast, motorcyclists to show how fast they can get from one cafe to another.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 am

I still find weekends have slightly less trafffic around here.
During the week the morning 'rush hour' lasts from about six thirty until mid-day. Then the evening 'rush hour goes from mid-day until about seven in the evening.
There's no let up in the middle of the day at all.
Very early mornings or late evenings/night time are by far the best times for riding I find.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 7:46 pm

I took my newtome 2007 SWing on its first ride. It has 3600 miles and has spent most of its life waiting. Works like a charm. I was so eager to go that I made two mistakes. I have a brand new modular helmet but because I had one previously I did not look too closely into the operational limits of all the bits. I pushed the clear visor up a bit aggressively ( like my previous one) and dislodged the visor completely off. At 60-65 mph highway ride this was a bit scary, but luckily, the visor fell forward into my lap and lodged against my left foot !!! I stopped safely and stashed it. I was able to re-attach it later and it works just fine.
Mistake #2: did not check the tire pressures ( I picked it up from a shop ! ). 20 psi in front and rear. Never assume the shop would check your tire pressures.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 9:12 pm

First ride of spring for me also today. A whopping 15 miles. The GWing won out though, as it was blocking the SWing in the garage.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2017 6:22 am

Not my first Ride of Spring but last Saturday, a beautifully sunny day, I rode from home (Salisbury) down to Lepe Country Park on the South Coast, opposite the Isle of Wight. It's roughly an hour's ride.
At the Park Centre is free parking for motorcycles, a very good Information Centre and a pleasant café.
I bought a bottle of water and some biscuits and sat on the sea wall, watching the sea, passing marine traffic and the many people sunbathing or dipping in the rock-pools.
An interesting feature of the Park is the 'works' left from the construction of some of the Mulberry Harbour components and large concrete ramps built to facilitate the embarkation of troops and equipment for the D-Day Invasion.
It's a place I have visited several times and has become a favourite, especially as it's do-able in an afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First ride of Spring   First ride of Spring I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First ride of Spring
Page 1 of 1