Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?

Go down 
+3
Starkman
Delray
Terry Smith
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-02-22

Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 4:55 pm

Greetings,

Still waiting to get my scooter into the mechanic, and while waiting I've bought new tires and a belt; however, I forgot there are filters (air, etc.)—I already have an oil filter for the mechanic to use.

So, what other filters will I need?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 6:20 pm

The only filters that are touched during a service would be the oil filter and air filter. There is a cleanable oil strainer as part of the oil drain plug assembly. There is an in-line fuel filter in the tank but that is not routinely replaced unless there is a fuel delivery issue. There is also a foam screen on the variator cover which keeps the worst dust from being drawn into that area, but unless that was breaking down it can just be blown clean with compressed air.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 6:42 pm

The air filter is behind the right rear faring under a housing with 117 screws. Or perhaps it just felt that way. There are a lot of screws.

The foam screen mentioned in the previous post is often blown to smithereens by the heat and forced air. It's easy to check. Remove the left, silver passenger footpeg (two bolts) and the first of three covers for the CVT. Look inside.

I've owned four Silver Wings and have yet to find the foam filter in good condition. I'd guess most riders don't know about them or just don't bother to check -- they cost less than $10.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 6:48 pm

Thanks very much! I do appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2020-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 7:04 am

Delray, can you advise what that little neglected CVT filter is called? I couldn't get a hit on Ebay.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 7:46 am

Honda appears to call it an "Element."

Apparently they do not employ writers on staff ;o).

Honda part #: 11356-MCT-000

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/11356-MCT-000
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 8:23 am

Holy Cow, I would've been lost forever. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 9:48 am

Easy way to identify parts and part #'s ....

www.bikebandit.com > enter the year and model of your machine > click OEM PARTS and you will see a column on the left of bike components ... Accessories ... Body Cover, etc.

In your case, you'd click on Engine and Exhaust > OEM Parts > Swingarm and see that the piece of foam is #7. Scroll down to find Honda part # and price.

Pretty invaluable resource for me over four Silver Wings.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 11:50 am

As long time high mileage rider---I say go to your Honda dealer, they should know the bike.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 2:27 pm

john grinsel wrote:
...go to your Honda dealer, they should know the bike.

You're absolutely right, John. They should, but odds-on, they don't/won't. Embarassed

Spent 13yrs in the business at a time when thee-market was
cruisers, rockets, and watercraft. Worked for the largest dealer in the city, with multiple stores. Parts counter employees were all youngin's who could relate mostly just to dirtbikes and sportbikes, 'cause that's what's COOL.  Cool  A department manager MIGHT know about the scoot, or a Wing, but that was it. Sales staff might be generally a bit more mature, and well-versed.

I can tell you from a sales perspective, IF there was one maxi on the floor, at-a-time, regardless of brand...that was generally enough. You MIGHT have lucked-out and seen a big Burger there in addition to a SW, and/or Majesty. The Burger sold pretty damn well for my store, as we were near a huge retirement area with a lot of Gold-Wingers and H-D folk. They loved them for in-town.

IMHO, I still think that scooters....at least at a Big-2/3/4 store...are mostly an afterthought. They are ordered, and carried, out of obligation for their dealer agreement. There are rare exceptions, such as perhaps the true Mom-n-Pop stores where Mom or Dad are THERE....and perhaps they're Honda-only, or Honda with a plus-1 or 2.

Ok, rant over. thumbs up

Last edited by VictorLouis on Fri May 08, 2020 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 5:32 pm

Filters, you deal with partsman.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 6:18 pm

JUST for the " element " drive case filter I used a product from AAF International. Just to be sure I put oil / gas / carb cleaner on it no problems. Buy a small package / roll and cut to fit, tough material you just don't pull it apart.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 6:31 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Filters, you deal with partsman.

Yep, and I edited my post to reflect that they were who I was referring to.
We'd always give a newb a few days, and wait until he was the only one free to answer their phone line, then: Twisted Evil

"Um, yeah. I'm needin' a final drive sprocket for an '88 GL1500 Gold-Wing."

"Hi there, do you guys stock transmission fluid for Sea-Doo skis?"

"Yes Sir, I'm hoping you have a set of carburetor jets for my SilverWing."

Then, watch him scramble on the microfiche viewer.... geek
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 8:38 pm

Motorcycle dealers have a lot of younger people working there. Pay is low and it's attractive for them because they want to learn or ride. WE all had that starter job and moved on or made a living at it.

Ignorance does not equal intelligence. Oh I need a muffler bearing for my ??? Ride On Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?   Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Filters I will need to fully service my Silverwing?
Page 1 of 1