Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:15 am

» LF extended back rest
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-27

I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? Empty
PostSubject: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 12:40 pm

I used the pictorial the other day for the air filter removal and found it nice and easy, so was thinking of doing spark plug and oil filter and oil change as well but looking on ebay the parts are around
£40 Air filter
£12 Oil filter
£8 for sparks
£10 oil from shop

so about £70
I would of thought a service for this bike would of been around £90-£100, if so I might as well let the shop do it.

Any advice please let me know.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:00 pm

David,

If you are going to buy a new air filter you might want to think about the K&N filter. It is a little more money than the stock one but it is good for life. I do my own maintenance since the shops here charge $90 per hour. It is good to do to learn about your bike too though. You may want to try it once. I have "Pictorials" for the spark plugs and oil change here. You may also want to change the Final Drive Oil too since it only takes 10 onces. I have a Pictorial for that too. Like I mentioned, it is a good way to get to know your bike.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:06 pm

JeffR wrote:
David,

If you are going to buy a new air filter you might want to think about the K&N filter. It is a little more money than the stock one but it is good for life. I do my own maintenance since the shops here charge $90 per hour. It is good to do to learn about your bike too though. You may want to try it once. I have "Pictorials" for the spark plugs and oil change here. You may also want to change the Final Drive Oil too since it only takes 10 onces. I have a Pictorial for that too. Like I mentioned, it is a good way to get to know your bike.

thanks for that what do you mean Final Drive Oil?
Back to top Go down
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:07 pm

as for the air filter i have seen this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-AIR-FILTER-HONDA-FJS600-SILVERWING-2001-2005_W0QQitemZ280242752104QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item413fc50a68&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:10 pm

David,

The Final Drive Oil is in the location of the rear wheel and clutch. If you look at the Pictorial of the Final Drive Oil, just do a search, you will see exactly where it is. I do mine where you don't need to remove anything whatsoever. You just need an open end wrench and a oil can with a long spout, and you can change this without removing the cover. It uses the same oil as your crackcase/engine.

https://www.silverwing600.com/maintenance-tips-and-hints-f7/changing-the-final-drive-oil-pictorial-t200.htm

Last edited by JeffR on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:13 pm

JeffR wrote:
David,

The Final Drive Oil is in the location of the rear wheel and clutch. If you look at the Pictorial of the Final Drive Oil, just do a search, you will see exactly where it is. I do mine where you don't need to remove anything whatsoever. You just need an open end wrench and a oil can with a long spout, and you can change this without removing the cover. It uses the same oil as your crackcase/engine.

excellent idea, i wouldn't of known about that. what exactly is that oil for? Is it for the gears?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:17 pm

David,

Yes, there are some gears in there. I use synthetic oil now since it seems most people think synthetic's provide a bit more lubrication. The last time I used a synthetic gear oil.. 75w/90 weight. It is just a bit thicker.
Back to top Go down
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 1:52 pm

oh do you know how much oil i will need (in litres) in total for the engine and then for the extra final drive oil please
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 2:17 pm

David,

With the engine oil it is 2.12 liters (2.25 quarts), using the online coversion calculator, but you should also verify that. Just make sure you check your dipstick properly and make sure your bike is on the center stand and not the side stand.

With the final drive, it is 295 ml (10oz). Just keep filling the final drive until the oil starts to seep out. That is how you know that it is full.
Back to top Go down
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:51 am

is there 1 or 2 spark plugs in the SW?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:37 am

davidp456 wrote:

Two spark plugs
Back to top Go down
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm

honda_silver wrote:
davidp456 wrote:

Two spark plugs

damn i only ordered one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?   I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I want to give my Silverwing a service how much should I be charged?
Page 1 of 1