Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SW shocks.

Go down 
+6
gavinfdavies
john grinsel
Meldrew
The Bern
Cosmic_Jumper
Mech 1 twa
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2018 9:14 pm

Might have been discussed here before.
Ikon makes a shock for SW 400-600 7610 series. Offers different appearance options.
3 way spring preload adjustable rebound and its rebuildable .
$420 up $580 depends on options.

I've been looking at my options for shocks. Has some good features and can be repaired if something fails.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2018 11:28 pm

Here's a link to rear shock info I posted several years ago. It's a shame that searching the forum for previous information is so difficult. Hope this helps.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t5686-rear-shock-absorbers?highlight=Rear+shocks

Tim
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 4:54 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Here's a link to rear shock info I posted several years ago. It's a shame that searching the forum for previous information is so difficult. Hope this helps.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t5686-rear-shock-absorbers?highlight=Rear+shocks

Tim

Hi Tim.  The easiest way I have found to search the forums for specific information is to go off site & use Google, in the search box put silverwing600.com + whatever the criteria is, in this case rear shocks, so ... silverwing600.com+rear shocks ... this search returns 8 on site threads of which your quoted one is  the second.

Search result with all threads is here >>>

I made a tiny url king https://tinyurl.com/y8vn9qd9
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 5:11 am

I vaguely remember a past topic on here about a US member using his Silver Wing as a test bed for a small suspension company that were developing a pair of rear shocks for the Silver Wing.

Whether they ever went into production, I've no idea.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 11:15 am

Meldrew wrote:
I vaguely remember a past topic on here about a US member using his Silver Wing as a test bed for a small suspension company that were developing a pair of rear shocks for the Silver Wing.

I remember that too bud, might have a search for it later
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 11:26 am

My experience---OEM shocks are good at least to 50,000 miles----I do not know about old ones as most SilverWings are now
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2017-10-20

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 3:59 pm

If you can get them, it is possible to modify a set of Hagons to increase the rear ride height by 20ish mm or so, if you're mechanically minded. Make a big difference to the handling, the bike doesn't tend to flop to full lock when corning. One of these days I'll brake out the camera and get some pics of the mods.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks for the links. I did search and found most of the info. guess I missed some.

Works Shocks is no longer in business as of last summer. No website anymore.
Might buy IKON shocks basic model black spring-shock body. Slightly shorter than stock 400mm but proper spring rate that won't matter much. 1 inch .
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
 Slightly shorter than  stock 400mm but proper spring rate that won't matter much. 1 inch .

It sort of will bud, with the rear of the bike frame an inch closer to the ground it will change the rake angle of the steering head, basically the reverse of what Gavindavies did by lengthening his Hagon's (as mentioned earlier in this thread)
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 4:36 am

Have you looked at Bitubo bud ? Search part # H0111wge02 you may find them on ebay or you could contact the USA importers at their website .... https://www.scooterworks.com/Bitubo-C792.aspx
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Yes lowering the rear will change a few things but if springs are stiffer than stock then it wont sag as much.  Could have the same ride height when sitting on bike. I looked at Bitubo shocks as you suggested very nice, very high price. Made in Italy far from here and I have issues with that.

Sw handles like a wheelbarrow at parking lot speeds, on tight turns at higher speeds not so.
Thanks for link and advise nothing decided yet.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 4:40 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Yes lowering the rear will change a few things but if springs are stiffer than stock then it wont sag as much.  Could have the same ride height when sitting on bike.

Ahh, yes I see where you're coming from, vallid point indeed :Happy Holiday:
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2018 1:14 pm

For reference, the stiffer Hagon shocks increased the rear height by over an inch on their own, prior to me lengthening them. They were the exact same length as stock.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 7:06 am

gavinfdavies wrote:
For reference, the stiffer Hagon shocks increased the rear height by over an inch on their own, prior to me lengthening them. They were the exact same length as stock.

Do you have a part number for those Hagon shocks? I'm a pretty big ugly fella and the rear end bottoms out on me - even with the pre-load on max. TIA.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 7:54 am

Flyingpanman wrote:
Do you have a part number for those Hagon shocks? I'm a pretty big ugly fella and the rear end bottoms out on me  - even with the pre-load on max. TIA.

It might be worth actually givin Hagon a phone call bud, I'm not sure if it still applies, but they used to do 'custom fit' where they matched a damper to the machine, then add a spring that was matched to the riders weight.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 8:00 am

gavinfdavies wrote:

scratch Do I understand correctly? As received, the stiffer
Hagon shocks are one inch longer than the Honda shocks, and once installed the Siverwing's parked height is one inch taller than it is with OEM shocks, yet once you sit on the scoot the ride height is the same as with the original OEM shocks.

How did you extend the new Hagons by an additional inch? An off-the-shelf product, or something custom made?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 9:32 am

The Bern wrote:
It might be worth actually givin Hagon a phone call bud, I'm not sure if it still applies, but they used to do 'custom fit' where they matched a damper to the machine, then add a spring that was matched to the riders weight.

I did phone them about a year ago. The guy I spoke to said they only do the one unit for the Silverwing, and that's all. He wasn't very helpful, and I suspect another call to a different person might produce better information.

I just thought a specific part number may help my cause.

Other than that, I might go with YSS shocks as they seem to have plenty of adjustability in them.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 12:51 pm

The chap to speak to is Dave Bulwell I think. He knows his stuff.

The Swing shock is the longest shock made, by a good inch or two, so it's custom made. Fixed length, fixed damping. The default spring is also custom made, and is good for up to 18st on lowest setting, after which you will want to go up a rating, but that is only made to order so will take a bit longer.

Sorry for the confusion about ride height. The shocks are the same length, but due to the proper stiffness the sag with the rider on is reduced by over an inch compared to the stock springs. Hence it's like jacking up the rear by an inch.

To extend them I made a few little mods after discussing my plan with Dave at Hagon who gave it the ok. Basically the rod screws into an alloy clevis bracket at the bottom. There's about 35mm of depth to the hole, but it's only threaded between 5mm and 25mm down. The insertion depth is set by the end of the rod resting on the bottom of the hole. I fitted some M12fine thread inserts to thread the hole from the surface, and then reset the insertion depth by dropping in a 22mm long bit of steel dowl. So that moved the piston rod up the hole by 22mm, the thread inserts meant that enough thread length (about 10mm) was engaged just to make sure the end of the shock didn't pop off if I ever managed to jump the Swing! To correct the preload (because now there's a 22mm gap at the end of the spring!) I made up a big spacer with a little rebate at the top to locate the spring, and a hole through to clear the piston rod. The spring preload adjuster is at the top luckily.

I'll do a proper write up at some point. Of course, Hagon could just get a clevis made that is 22mm longer, but that would be costly!

Oh, and I had to mod the limit of travel of the centre stand, such that it now stops much nearer the top in order for the wheel to clear the floor when on the stand! Can be done by placing a wheel weight on the stand stops, or in my case by bending a bit of 3mm stainless strip around the stand and pinching the ends together with a bolt. It won't fall off and doesn't alter the original stand. I'll get a pic at some point too.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 3:15 pm

A dedicated thread with pictures would be great Gavin :Happy Holiday:
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 8:44 pm

I think I get it. Tappet the bottom of shock and extended the treads to the bottom of shock surface and inserted a spacer in the hole for it to bottom against. Not sure about pushing piston rod up though.
Pictures.

Looking at Hagon shock you extended the threaded end moving lower mount. Ok
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 12:09 pm

yes, dedicated threads needed I think. I didn't irreversibly mod anything on the shocks. The rod was left untouched. The mod was to the aluminium clevis at the bottom. The recessed thread (the 35mm hole was only threaded in the middle) was extended all the way up to the surface using a removeable threaded insert. Then a 22mm dowel was dropped into the hole to restrict how deep the rod sat. So in effect the rod became 22mm longer. Then a big fat spacer was made to sit around the rod to take up the slack in the spring and give it back its original preload.

Yes, I know I really need to get some pictures. I'll have a crack at making a cut-away diagram at work tonight on night shift.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 1:06 pm

I'VE FINALLY MADE A DEDICATED THREAD FOR MY MODDED SHOCKS!

I've put the link in my signature Smile
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2016-08-24

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 6:49 pm

The thread was called “Too Bouncy” by Toolman. Gears Shocks.
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2016-08-24

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 9:05 pm

The Bern wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

I remember that too bud, might have a search for it later

The thread was called "Too Bouncy". I'm still running those shocks on my SW and they are great! But.......at $1000 per set US, nobody can afford them. The shock company lost interest.
Back to top Go down
mondodemundo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2019-08-21

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 pm

I've been looking at new shocks after hitting a couple of jarring big bumps and ruts on the Swing. Malossi doesn't offer one long enough any more, but they do have one that is 405mm and mounts to the Forza/SH300, and I am having trouble finding Bitubos. I can get YSS Silverwing shocks for about $100 for the pair, but I haven't had great luck with them. There is a company selling faux Ohlins all over the internet, and I wonder if anyone has had any luck with them. They are golden and have a reservoir, and are usually labeled as air shocks. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Hagon.

And before you ask about the front, the answer is HyperPro.

Still waiting on that 600° variator temperature information.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 pm

I would go with OEM shocks from Honda dealer.....but it is questionable in my mind at this point if a SilverWing is worth investing big money in.

Second, I had 2 new SilverWings, each ridden to about 50,000 miles---OEM shocks & springs worked fine. Check your weight and loading of bike-----shocks and their springs are what you are riding on, shock part only provides damping...….and then remember SilverWing is feet forward scooter which equals can be hard on spine.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 2:50 am

Mondodemundo
The standard shocks are fine for their intended purpose but if you are regularly bottoming them out chances are you're outside the design parameters.
I had the same problem; two up we're pushing 200kg and the roads over hills here are bumpy.
I put a pair of Hagon's on and the ride is transformed. Solo I use the softest setting and two-up the hardest, adjustment is by spanner (although if you're built like a gorilla you might be able to do it by hand).
Fitting them is a laugh though. Easy once you get the plastics off to access the top fixing (another of Soichiro's little jokes).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SW shocks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW shocks.   SW shocks. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SW shocks.
Page 1 of 1