Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Flat Tire Advice!!

Go down 
+6
john grinsel
arcamedies
carolina wing rider
Cosmic_Jumper
lloyd193
Jimmyk
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmyk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2018-01-23

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 7:54 am

Ok last week I went for a 3 hour ride and had a great time.
Today ,since I've had the SW for 3 weeks now, its a good thing that I decided to check the air pressure . The rear tire is flat!
I watched a video on removing the rear wheel ,and don't know if I want to attempt this.
I've removed many wheels on other bikes in the past, I would remove both wheels, and take them to the stealer, along with new tires,and pay 30.00 per wheel to have the new ones installed.
After being out of the saddle for a while, just having open heart surgery 7 months ago, I'm not really sure that I want to attempt this.
Can any members in the central Florida area, possibly reccomeded a stealer that's just going to gently rob me for doing this job?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 10:42 am

Jimmyk wrote:
Today ,since I've had the SW for 3 weeks now, its a good thing that I decided to check the air pressure . The rear tire is flat!
I watched a video on removing the rear wheel ,and don't know if I want to attempt this.
I've removed many wheels on other bikes in the past, I would remove both wheels, and take them to the stealer, along with  new tires,and pay 30.00 per wheel to have the new ones installed.
   After being out of the saddle for a while, just having open heart surgery 7 months ago, I'm not really sure that I want to attempt this.
         Can any members in the central Florida area, possibly reccomeded a stealer that's just going to gently rob me for doing this job?
                                                                                                                              Thanks

Jimmy,

I will do your tires for you, Contact me at, Lloyd1939@hotmail.com.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 am

There a go, Jimmy. You can't get any better service than that.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Tires   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:15 am

Jimmy you are lucky to have Lloyd so close to you. He is one of the "Good Guys".
Back to top Go down
Jimmyk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2018-01-23

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 am

I just finished chatting with him, he seems like a great guy. I’ll be heading to his place probably next weekend to get the new tires installed!!
Looking forward to meeting you Lloyd!
Back to top Go down
arcamedies
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arcamedies

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-10-05

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Flat Tire blues   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Jimmyk wrote:
I've removed many wheels on other bikes in the past, I would remove both wheels, and take them to the stealer, along with  new tires,and pay 30.00 per wheel to have the new ones installed.
                                                                                                                              Thanks

I was cleaning my rear wheel and my neighbor walking his dog said hey John what ya doing with a nail in your rear tire? HUH my one year old IRC had a roofing nail in it right at the center he was at the right angle far enough away to see it just at the mud guard, I never knew it was there. When I started to pull it hoping for the best, sssss an air leak. Well searching the internet IRCs what came on the bike are going for $110 to $135, called a local Yamaha Suzuki dealer and parts said oh $94 have it here in a few days. I plugged the hurt tire got it to them and $35 later they put it on, balanced it, and replaced the valve stem too. cheers
Check a few local places before you call em stealerships you may be pleasantly surprised.

swing
Back to top Go down
arcamedies
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arcamedies

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-10-05

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Oh and when plugging a rear tire have someone keep the bike from being pushed off the stand. Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Bike rolling on center stand---duct tape front brake on!
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Last August I got some new tires and about 1000 miles later noticed a nail in the center of the tread. It wasn't leaking, so I just left it there. No obvious hiss, and pressure gauge showed it holding pressure.

This Spring I noticed the nail was getting pushed deeper into the tire so I thought I'd pull it out and plug it. Well, the nail held air better than the plug did. Took me several tries (couldn't get the plugs to pull partway out after pushing them in) and I finally got one that held reasonably well. Its not going to pass inspection with a plug in it (but its possible the inspector won't even notice it), so I ordered a new rear tire today and will install it before the inspection.

The end result - about 1000 miles with nothing wrong with the tire, 1000 miles with a nail sealing itself and now about 1000 miles with a plug in it. Seems to ride fine no matter what was in the tire.

BTW, these are some Shinko tires (SR567/568). Pretty inexpensive to buy, but IMO they ride as well as anything else I've had on there (I've used IRC, Metzler, Diablo, City Grip and Power Pure tires in the past). Most of them seem to give me 6000 miles, except the Power Pure (less than 5k) and I think the Shinko would only have gone 4-4.5K miles. Considering what you pay to have someone else install tires (Honda dealer wants $79 for installing rear tires - others are cheaper but nobody else does as good of a job) they are less of a bargain. I plan on pulling the rear wheel myself when I install this new tire.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 9:51 pm

In the meat of the good tire I would use the rope plug long enough to get to where I could use the from the inside to out plug / patch like I've purchased at NAPA. I have used the rope and found using a generous amount of the goo glue to help it go in and pull back out easier to have helped, and yes ran the rope until the tire needed replaced. I've used the Stop n Go plug type also with success.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Flat Tire Advice!! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 12:54 pm

I recently needed a new back tire and went to the local Indian dealer (not stealer) and ask about ordering one and how much it would cost. He could get a Shinko for about $65 and installation would be free since I bought from them. I then asked if wheel needed to be off the bike. Nope, just ride it in. I'm not sure the shop guys appreciated changing it, but I sure did.

The dealer is less than half a mile from my house and easier than going to a Honda dealership.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi Yo i expect there is a large notice in the workshop now saying "taking wheels of Silverwings ain't free"! :-)
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Having bought/ridden 9 new modern Maxi-scooters---all. are pain in butt to remove rear wheel!! Exception. BMW......40 or 50 years ago many scooters had spare tire and wheel (Nice) and you could get wheels, especially rear off without taking bike apart. My question---don't the developers/ sales people ride??

As I recall at least 2 of my 4 two stroke Vespas, came with little wire thing you could prop the rear wheel off the ground to ease wheel removal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flat Tire Advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat Tire Advice!!   Flat Tire Advice!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flat Tire Advice!!
Page 1 of 1