Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Flat tyres

Go down 
+7
exavid
Mech 1 twa
Mighty Mouse
Max Q
"Hi Yo"
Easyrider
phils a winger
11 posters
AuthorMessage
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Been busy getting a car repaired and through its annual test, so maintenance on silver hsa been limited and I know I need to do an oil and filter, brakes strip etc. Recently its been nice and dry and a bit of bend swinging has been the order of the day, started scraping the the wire loop on the side stand so noticed that the weld had failed, took it off and had it welded. Put it back on and continued riding, this weekend thought i'll do the usual checks, front tyre pressure fine, rear tyre didnt even register on the gauge!

Inflated the tyre and noticed that the offside edge tread was worn away completely, looks like a new tyre shortly. Thing is ive never ridden a bike with a flat tyre that I didnt instantly know it was flat, even the gold wing would let you know if the pressure dropped below 30 psi. Side walls on these tyres must be made of titanium, I dont hang about and never noticed any problems.

Had this bike 4 years and never had a problem with the rear not holding pressure, front use to be a problem but had to replace that rim due to a bearing going live.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 3:35 pm

How often do you check your tyre pressure? I have the FOBO TPMS system which will alarm me when the tyre pressure is outside the range that I set. A louder alarm sounds if the pressure goes to zero. It will also indicate which tyre is low.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 5:04 pm

rarely
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Flat tyres 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2018 11:46 am

phils a winger wrote:
rarely

More often in the future. affraid
Back to top Go down
Max Q
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-02-09

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2018 11:57 am

Easyrider, how reliable has the FOBO TPMS system been?
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2018 3:45 am

I have the Steelmate TPM for keeping an eye on my back tyre where I often have a puncture. I do highway riding and our highways are full of nails. The Steelmate has been fitted for a couple of years and always works perfectly. Before that I would ride the bike with flat tyre 2kms to the nearest garage - wheel rims and tyres have always been OK afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Riding a short distance is one thing on a flat. The longer you ride the more heat builds up and damages the tire. A rear flat is more forgiving might not notice right away a front you will know something is very wrong . TPMS is a good idea.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 1:05 am

One can usually notice a low tire if you've been riding the scooter long enough to get used to its characteristics. The steering gets heavier and it takes more pressure on the handlebars to make turns. I noticed it on my second SW when it lost ten PSI on the rear tire due to a leak at the tire bead.
Now both my cars and my GT all have TPMS. I used to think that was totally unnecessary but it's nice to have the pressure reading to look at when the bike feels different on the road due to differences in road surface or when you run over a pebble that makes a noise shooting out from under the tire. The TPMS reassures one that no flat tire is imminent.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 2:56 am

Personally I'd rather regularly check tyre pressures on my Silver Wing with a gauge than have TPMS. That way when I'm down there I can visually check tyre condition, and remove any stone chips stuck in the tread etc. In fact it was checking the rear tyre and tyre pressure that I spotted a delimitation blister on the Bridgestone Hoop.

Reassurance is having Puncturesafe or similar in your tyres.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 4:46 am

Max Q wrote:
Easyrider,  how reliable has the FOBO TPMmS system been?

It is very reliable. My tyre pressure is 29 front and 33 rear. For the front my range is 26-35 and the rear it is 30-39. The pressure range handles cold nights and when the tyre heats up during a ride. It has alerted me several times when the pressure was low. When checking a low pressure with a gauge, it is usually within a pound of my TPMS system. On the average, I get a warning about once every two months. The range for me has been about 50 feet. I get warning even when in my home. With the phone app, you can check the date and time of the last pressure check which includes the individual tyre temperature, and battery status.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 6:42 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Personally I'd rather regularly check tyre pressures on my Silver Wing with a gauge than have TPMS. That way when I'm down there I can visually check tyre condition, and remove any stone chips stuck in the tread etc. In fact it was checking the rear tyre and tyre pressure that I spotted a delimitation blister on the Bridgestone Hoop.

Reassurance is having Puncturesafe or similar in your tyres.

I agree. I still use a tire gauge periodically but I do like having the TPMS. I set the tire pressure by gauge and then use the TPMS to see any changes in pressure, especially what the difference between the two tires shows. Most TPMS aren't as accurate as a good quality gauge but after setting the pressure with the gauge I use the TPMS to monitor any change in pressure. TPMS aren't as accurate but they usually make the same error in front and rear, caused mostly by temperature changes and altitude. So I just keep an eye on the difference (36F 42R PSI) in my bike. It's the six PSI difference I keep an eye on with the TPMS.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 am

Can anyone recommend an accurate pressure gauge which is convenient to carry? The few that I've tried never seem to agree on the pressure in my tires.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 am

It depends on what you class as accurate, it isn't as if anyone occasionally calibrates their off the shelf tyre pressure gauge once they've bought it. I'd have thought any tyre pressure gauge is easy to carry whether it's digital, analogue, or the simple pencil type I generally use.

I carry one in the same type of cheapo plastic pouch the OE tool kit is in, along with a tread measurement gauge, a valve removal tool, an airline extension, a couple of spare tyre valves and valve caps, and a couple of Metric hexagon keys.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 11:16 am

Agree with Meldrew, back when we had Safety Sundays a ( ASTM ) verified testing unit was there, no one gage was the best and the pencil gages did quite well on accuracy.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Having your own guage does ensure consistency which is the main thing. I use the pencil type, and use it regularly.
And as Meldrew say while your down there you might spot something else that amiss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flat tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat tyres   Flat tyres I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flat tyres
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: