Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Flat on New Tire

Go down 
+3
Loosemarbles
Delray
obdarrel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
obdarrel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-07-07

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2022 1:58 pm

Need recommendation.

I just bought a new rear tire for my Swing, barely has 30 miles on it.  
It now has a flat.  Should I buy new or get the new tire fixed?

Appreciate y'all recommendations in advance.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2022 3:14 pm

You could view it like Good, Better, Best ....

GOOD: Plug the tire with a Deluxe Tire Plug Kit from Walmart, Slime brand, around $10.00. This assumes the screw or nail or piece of metal that caused the flat is in the middle of the tread and not near the sidewall, and  it comes out smoothly.

BETTER: Plug the tire and take it off the bike to place a patch on the inside of the tire. That's twice the protection with inside patch and outside plug.

BEST: Bite the bullet and get a new tire for maximum safety.

Personally, I've ridden thousands of miles with tires I plugged. I'm fine with GOOD. That's partly because I plug tires well and partly because I'm too cheap to replace a tire with low miles. With the life of these tires at 7,000 to 10,000 miles, and me averaging 1,000 miles a month, I don't have to ride on the plugged tire all that long. I will add that I always have some kind of TPMS on my tires, new or plugged, so I keep an eye on pressure every time I ride.

Last edited by Delray on Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2022 3:50 pm

Another option would be to have the tyre repaired by means of 'vulcanizing'. This method remoulds the rubber over the repair. If you don't like the sound of a repair, just replace it.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2022 8:34 pm

Since rear wheel removal and replacement is such a hassle on SilverWing.....remove wheel and replace tire with new one=much safer....If you cannot do this yourself you are at the mercy of the people who provide this service. In the US you usually get the least skilled doing this work. Have spare exhaust gasket standing by---dealers usually to not have in stock...for bike that has been out of production for 10 or more years. Having somebody doing the work, check their work. Most scooter dealers in US do not or can not balance scooter wheels---"Ride ON" works for me as balance medium.

My case I would remove tire, if not much damage to carcass, patch from inside, re-balance and ride.

In US most bike shops do not repair bike tires. In Japan they do.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 3:01 am

I would go for the 'better' option and have the tyre professionally plugged from the inside. All the external repair kits I've seen or used state they are short-term and low speed, I've cautiously ignored the latter but have always changed the tyre as soon as practical.
If I was just riding short distances around town I might be tempted to ignore the short-term bit too, but I'd have to slap myself if I had a second flat miles, from anywhere, from the same puncture.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 6:42 pm

It it flat because there's visible signs of a puncture like a nail or a piece of metal in this new tyre. Or it could be air leaking from the seal on the ageing rear tyre valve causing the problem.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 11:03 pm

I don't find removing the rear wheel any great hassle. You could have a new tyre fitted and have your punctured one repaired to keep as a spare.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 4:22 am

The OP still hasn't been on again to say whether the tyre was flat due to a puncture or not.

As it was a new tyre with barely 30 miles road use, it would be real bad luck to get a puncture when the tyre isn’t even scuffed in.

It may be that the tyre bead hasn't sealed 100% to the wheel rim due to corrosion, or was damaged during removal of the old tyre or when fitting the new one.

Or as I mentioned earlier, that troublesome angled rear tyre valve could be the culprit. Whatever the reason it's hassle you don't need.

Anyway enough of this, I have to scuff some rubber of my own this morning. I have a very nice new pair of short motorcycle boots and a nice long stroll up to Tesco and back later will do the job.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 5:08 am

Yes, we're all assuming he has a puncture. OP, please can you confirm what has caused your flat tyre.
Back to top Go down
obdarrel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 6:35 pm

Thanks to all who answered. You guys are fast.
I discovered that it was a 1 1/2" wood screw. I pulled it out.

I have decided to take the "BEST" [Get a new tire] advice of Delray and Loosemarbles [repair
the almost new tire, and use as a spare].

I bought both front and back Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires at the same time. Currently, I can't find
the rear 150/70-13 in the same brand as the front online. Should I wait for the brand to come
back in stock, or am I ok buying a different brand? Thoughts? Recommendations?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 11:16 pm

I don't like mixing tyres but wait for some input from other members who have more experience and knowledge on tyres.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2022 2:52 am

Back in the sportsbike days I used to worry about mixing tyres, but tyres weren't as good in the '90s and we rode a lot faster.
These days I happily mix manufacturers provided they are of the approved sizes and type, I have never noticed a riding difference on either scooter or road-bike, at least not at the speeds I do these days.
The handling problems have always come when the tyres are worn too far out of profile, or the one time I was forced by availability (or lack thereof) to go oversize, it looked good but handled like a plate of spaghetti!
Having said all that I don't know where you are, legal type approval or insurance issues might force your choice.
Back to top Go down
obdarrel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2022 11:37 pm

Ok, if my original tire [Pirelli Diablo Rosso Rear Scooter Tire (150/70-13)]
doesn't come back in stock soon for a reasonable price [originally bought
from RevZilla for $85]what brand of 150/70-13 would best match my
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Front Scooter Tire??
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 7:49 am

I happily mix tyre brands to get the best of each.
The Pirelli Diablo I use on the front for hold in the wet and dry.
I use a Mitchelin City Grip for the rear as they last pretty long (compared to a Pirelli on the rear), wear round and still grip fairly well.
That is 2 of the only 3 kinds we can get here..... scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flat on New Tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flat on New Tire   Flat on New Tire I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flat on New Tire
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: