Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Goin back to my old regular plugs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Goin back to my old regular plugs Empty
PostSubject: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 5:53 pm

I dont think my SW likes iridium plugs because I am getting lower rough idling, and. harder to start. I will try converting to one regular and the other cylinder platinum and try that before converting fully to regular plugs.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Search on "plugs" brought up this older thread: https://www.silverwing600.com/maintenance-tips-and-hints-f7/spark-plug-replacement-t105.htm?highlight=plug#572

Read through for some good insight.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Checked the gaps and they were within range so decided to use one iridium in one cylinder and in the other regular plug, works like a charm ,better performance and faster starting . Hybrid plugging. Lets see if I get better gas mileage.

Last edited by tankyuong on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Glad to hear your scooter is running good now. I took my factory plugs out and looked them over (they looked great) glass beaded them, checked the gap and reinstalled them. The scooter runs great! HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!
Goin back to my old regular plugs Icon_sunny
DennisB
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Dennis,
What did you use to glass-bead your plugs with? I haven't seen a plug cleaner in years. Secondly, off subject, if I decide to get one of your driving light brackets, how do I go about it??
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi DickO,

I purchased a glass bead blasting cabinet in 1987 from Harbor Freight. It sure has come in handy over the years when I was rebuilding Harley motors but I think I need to be looking into getting a new one. Maybe a floor standing unit, now that would be nice.

I'll send you a PM on Light bar ordering.

DennisB
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 3:05 pm

while my scoot was in the yard, inoperable because of the intermittent electrical problem, i removed the iridium plugs and replaced them with regular plugs. all problems solved now and it runs great with the cheaper plugs. i will stay with regular plugs. will tell how they work on long trips when it stops raining and snowing up here, probably next may. the u.p. is nice in the summer but sucks in the fall, winter, and spring.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 8:02 am

Honestly, except for the longevity of the platinum or iridium plugs I see no real reason to deviate from the OEM plugs. I've not read any real data about increases in gas mileage or performance. All I've read is either advertisements (real honesty there I'm certain) and anecdotal evidence from people whove made the switch. An example of anecdotal evidence... "I swapped out the plugs with those iridium ones and it is like a different machine." That statement tells me nothing from a fact standpoint, it's like saying everyone knows chartruese is the best color...

So let's address the longevity issue. The manufacturer recommends that the OEM plugs be replaced at 8,000 mile intervals (way too short in my opinion, although I follow it). I've not read any reports of people who have replaced the OEM plugs with a more expensive one and have used the more expensive (and probably more durable) for a longer interval than that recommended by Honda.

Replace them if you want to and do it for the reason you chose. If there is an actual increase in mileage and performance you should be prepared to demonstrate those increases through documentation and with true analytical rigor.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 2:16 pm

Seems like the only "rigor" I've got is the 'mortis' type... Goin back to my old regular plugs Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goin back to my old regular plugs   Goin back to my old regular plugs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Goin back to my old regular plugs
Page 1 of 1