Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Regular oil vs synthetic

Go down 
+5
Mech 1 twa
Cosmic_Jumper
Scootypuff Snr
Meldrew
Lugwrench
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-08-15

Regular oil vs synthetic  Empty
PostSubject: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 2:49 pm

The SW I just purchased is a 2002 with 50K miles. The previous owner used regular 20w50 oil. I would like to switch to synthetic 20w50. I just purchased Ams oil scooter oil 20w50. Should I use this or purchase regular synthetic.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Lugwrench wrote:
The SW I just purchased is a 2002 with 50K miles. The previous owner used regular 20w50 oil. I would like to switch to synthetic 20w50. I just purchased Ams oil scooter oil 20w50. Should I use this or purchase regular synthetic.

You shouldn't be using 20w 50 at all, just because that dick of a previous owner used it. The Owners Manual states using 10w 30, or 10w 40 oil.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Lugwrench wrote:

You shouldn't be using 20w 50 at all, just because that dick of a previous owner used it. The Owners Manual states using 10w 30 or 10w 40 oil.

Razz  don't hold back,speak your mind Meldrew.

Lugwrench,oil is a hugely debatable topic with reasoned arguments on all sides.
I personally use the recommended oil, bearing in mind the viscosity is the key to suit the climate/usage.
However if the original owner used stated to 50K without issues & you're happy to do so carry on.(as they say if it ain't broke don't fix it)
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Oh boy, another oil dust-up

I'm with Scootypuff. At 50000 miles the engine has certaily loosened up enough to accommodate a higher viscosity oil. However I wouldn't advise using 20 wt during the frigid winter months.

Now switching from regular oil to full synthetic... The jury is out on that. IMHO it's going to be okay making that leap. If not your oil consumption will increase. 

I'd favor full synthetic 20 w 50 over standard oil anyway. I recall seeing a post somewhere stating that full synthetic viscosity rating are merely a suggestion. Evidently ther's a lot of wiggle room in those ratings.

Contradictory statements, I know. But it's my 2¢ opinion

Tim
Back to top Go down
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks for all he comments I really have to apologize I purchased the 10w40. I have a sportster that I was getting ready to sell and had 20w on the brain sorry guys. But with that being said, the oil I purchased was Ams Oil 10w40 blended for scooters. I am not sure that a SW could be classified scooter(I might get hammered for this statement)
now should I keep or return for regular synthetic.

I have to also say that since I have had this SW I feel much more comfortable and safe(but still 100% focused when riding). I have ridden on freeway at 70mph which is something I would never do on sportster unless riding with group. It quick and nimble.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 7:58 pm

10W40 is what you want. SYN oils flow better in colder temps. and stays thicker at higher temps.
Nothing wrong with that oil. Sometimes SYN oil starts to clean out old deposits left from other oils and will turn darker after a change. Oil is still good just cleaning up internal engine parts a bit.

SW is a big scooter it can out corner a Sportster because parts don't start to drag.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 8:38 am

I have used various 10w-30 and 10W-40 oils with no problems. Normally I use Rotella T-5 10W-30 semi synthetic. The only oil my SWing did not like was Rotella T 15W-40... I had enough of this left over from another bike to do one oil change and the Silver Wing did not like it, used nearly a quart of oil in one cycle (5K miles). Since reverting back to correct oil viscosity the SWing has not used any oil.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 am

I use Amsoil and wont look back.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 10:24 am

I don't get hung up on oil brands, I'm currently using Castrol in the Silver Wing and I've also used Motul, and Silkolene. Over the years I've happily used Elf, Mobil, Shell, Pro Honda,  Agip, Aral, BP, Comma, Texaco, Duckhams, and just about any other brand that's easily available. As long it's in the spec recommended by the Owners Handbook for the two or four wheeled vehicle I need it for, it's fine.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 3:09 pm

Synthetic spec or natural spec oil is fine, as long as it's changed when spec mileage expires.
Synthetic will last about twice as long as natural.

Mobil is now advertising a 10,000 mile synthetic for cars.

I vaguely remember a lawnmower company recently advertising a no-oil-change lawn mower. Never have to change the oil for the life of the mower. Just top up when needed. (Maybe because the engine will wear out before the oil life.)
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 6:07 pm

bikehiker wrote:
Synthetic spec or natural spec oil is fine, as long as it's changed when spec mileage expires.

I vaguely remember a lawnmower company recently advertising a no-oil-change lawn mower.  Never have to change the oil for the life of the mower.  Just top up when needed.  (Maybe  because the engine will wear out before the oil life.)

One must be careful with oil claims and warranties, after the warranty expires it's yours to change when you please until then no matter what the oil is it must be changed on time, both Honda and Subaru were emphatic about that when I questioned them about this. Honda went by the " oil change light " Subaru by miles driven, Honda's light came on around 8000 miles. Both vehicles used full synthetic 0 w 20 oils.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 6:11 pm

bikehiker wrote:

I vaguely remember a lawnmower company recently advertising a no-oil-change lawn mower.  Never have to change the oil for the life of the mower.  Just top up when needed.  (Maybe  because the engine will wear out before the oil life.)

That said I have a Craftsman rotary mower that I bought new in 1996! Still starts and runs fine. Change the oil every year or two depending on use. Does not use a drop... So glad I did not go with a Walmart special at the time LOL
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 6:41 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
bikehiker wrote:

That said I have a Craftsman rotary mower that I bought new in 1996! Still starts and runs fine. Change the oil every year or two depending on use. Does not use a drop... So glad I did not go with a Walmart special at the time LOL

There's only 3 blades of grass in Wickenburg that Craftsman ought to last forever SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Like my dentist says, "You floss and brush only the teeth you want to keep."
You change oil for only the engines you want to keep.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:
bikehiker wrote:

There's only 3 blades of grass in Wickenburg   that Craftsman ought to last forever SmileSmile

Sounds good but most of its life it has been in Idaho and Washington and now it is in Northern Nevada!!! Got a Lowes unit for AZ.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Just pulling a leg, there's more green in Az. then some people think, When you tell people they grow apples and alfalfa within 80 miles of Phoenix they give you a strange look.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2018 8:31 am

oldwingguy wrote:
Just pulling a leg, there's more green in Az. then some people think, When you tell people they grow apples and alfalfa within 80 miles of Phoenix they give you a strange look.

True story, that king And cotton too. Water the desert and most anything will grow. It's why Arizona is such an allergy nightmare. All the people from around the country bring their native plants and grasses and grow them in AZ... Go figure. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 am

I remember it from 1960 on our first trip out there, change has been phenomenal, you have to search for the old Az.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regular oil vs synthetic    Regular oil vs synthetic  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Regular oil vs synthetic
Page 1 of 1