Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 8:47 am

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Today at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
My new Swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

My new Swing

Go down 
+12
Ronster
dalehazelton
hankster
Cosmic_Jumper
"Hi Yo"
AldusFran
oldwingguy
Tone
Easyrider
PeterC
exavid
Clev
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Clev
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-02-12

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi guys.

New member here.  I picked up a 2004 Swing with 38,000 miles recently on Craigslist.  It's a little sun-baked, but it has a new belt and new tires, and it runs great.  I feel like this wedges in neatly between the Helix I owned and the PC800 I owned after that.  I decided to upgrade because my new job is 53 miles round trip, and it would take forever to get there on city streets on my Kymco 125.

Here's a quick picture I took the day I brought it home.

My new Swing BkADL0z

As you can see, it's pretty badly sun faded and weathered.  I've had the flu for a couple of days and was going stir crazy at home, so I popped off the windshield yesterday and went at it with a bottle of Meguiars and a torn up towel.  While it's not perfect, at least I can see through it.

Before:
My new Swing O5ESXZM

After:
My new Swing LEsCSO0

I also replaced the low beam bulb and battery.  Looking forward to seeing what else you guys are up to with these machines.

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Get some Mother's Back to Black from Walmart or an auto parts store. That will bring the black plastic back nicely after a couple applications. The windshield isn't worth doing a lot to, replace it with a Givi Adjustable. It will make your commute a lot more pleasant.

The Kappa windshield is pretty much the same as the Givi from what some folks here have posted. About half the price.
http://www.motostorm.it/en/accessories/motorcycle-parts/airstream-honda-silver-wing-400600-0109.html?ref=Google¤cy=USD&gclid=CNPw4_LW88oCFdgLgQodnFMB9g

I had the Givi and really liked it. As you can see it's just about the same as the Kappa.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-af214-airflow-windscreen-honda-silverwing-600-2001-2011
Back to top Go down
PeterC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PeterC

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2015-11-16

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 1:43 am

G'day Clev and Welcome to a good forum. Looks like you've picked up a good deal, shame the previous owner was so neglectful but that gives you plenty of room to improve right? Enjoy the minor restoration and the 53 mile commute each day!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 2:36 am

Back to Black works, but I prefer to use Armor All. It brings back the original color and threats the plastic.
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2014-11-20

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 9:12 am

Hi Clev and welcome. These are great, reliable machines and are easy to maintain and keep in good condition. I'm sure it will not take a lot to make it look fine. Let us know how you get on. Cool
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 11:55 am

As your 2004 fit's the bill mine does as well, fortunately for me both previous owners kept it inside and at least one of them kept it covered. I bought mine off Craig's list also, a local owner an d am very happy with it.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 2:37 pm

My 2009 @28000mis. ride had faded black panels . Oreilly employee said his father does restorations and restores faded black panels with Mothers Back to Black. I gave it a try using it liberally and was very impressed even after five months.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
My new Swing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 3:32 pm

welcome welcome welcome welcome

Welcome Clev,

I look forward to the pictures after you finish your restorations (it never ends). You will find a wealth of information on this site.

welcome welcome welcome welcome
Back to top Go down
Clev
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks guys. The windshield definitely needs to be replaced. I can see through it now, but it's still pretty bad.

I assume the paint is a goner. I don't know how these are painted, but if I was looking at a car, I would say the clearcoat has peeled/baked away in most areas. I can only really tell what color is used to be by looking at the panel below the dashboard (sort of a red wine/maroon color.) Am I correct in thinking that that won't buff out?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 11:41 am

There is supposed to be a Paint code label under the seat in or near the edge of the luggage box.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 11:45 am

If the clearcoat is peeling it will need to be sanded and reshot. Another option is to Plasti-dip it. You can do it yourself and would only cost about $50. Not a permanent solution but would get you by for a while as you decide what to do with it. What you also might try to do it get some clearcoat in a rattle can from the autoparts store and spray the windshield. That will bring back the shine and make it clear. I've done that to many fogged up headlights and it works really well. Here are some before and after of headlights.
Attachments
My new Swing Attachmentheadlightdefog01.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(147 Kb) Downloaded 13 times
My new Swing Attachmentheadlightdefog05.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(198 Kb) Downloaded 11 times
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 1:36 pm

I'd go get some McGuires liquid compounds and and wax and try to bring back what you have. Durocolor makes a spray paint for plastic and fabric that works really well so you can respray the tunnel a matte black. Or go Mad Max with it - it's half way there, just needs some torpedoes and things.
Back to top Go down
Ronster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-11-26

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Newby Ronster Here   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Hello to all.
I previously owned a Silverwing gave up riding for awhile and came back but with a Piaggio MP3 250. Well after 2 years with that am now anxious to return to another Silverwing. In the shopping process now but need to sell my MP3 or trade up.
Not sure how to add pictures being new to site and all, but will try. Seems like a real informative site, remember some of the names from a previous Silverwing site.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 5:56 pm

Hey, sold my MP3 a couple months ago. They are near impossible to sell and have little trade in value. I almost had to give it away. I found the 250 just too small and with little to no dealer network I just grew tired of it. The only saving grace was the Modern Vespa forum is a great place to get advice on Piaggio products.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 9:06 am

Welcome Clev, nice pick up you got. Nothing a little elbow grease can't cure on that ride.

I have a Givi Windscreen, worth every penny when you can get around to it.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 10:31 am

For faded, "grayed out" black plastic work, try S100 - Engine Brightener. Originally designed to be used on the black bits on HD engines, it works fantastic on all black plastic bits. You will not be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Clev
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I have some Back to Black that I bought for the car. I had the afternoon off, but it's 92 degrees out (in February!), so I managed to install the new battery in the Swing, return the loaner battery to the Kymco, bathe the Kymco and take a few snaps for Craigslist before being forced to retire to the air conditioned living room.

Saturday is only supposed to be 77, so I plan to sneak in some maintenance time after work.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 7:53 am

Clev - I live in Orange County too. Orange County in New York, though. Woke up to 7 below 0 on Sunday. You can handle a little 92.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 11:16 am

92 is working on a moto outside weather, with an umbrella or covered parking
Back when I lived in an apartment I'd bring the bike inside to tinker with it once the temp hit, say. 100 Laughing
Back to top Go down
TomThorpe328
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-01-29

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Welcome, Clev. I don't have any expertise to share about making your Silverwing beautiful again, but I do appreciate all the suggestions others have supplied.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My new Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Swing   My new Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My new Swing
Page 1 of 1