Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Looking to buy a Swing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jokey34
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-04-16

Looking to buy a Swing Empty
PostSubject: Looking to buy a Swing   Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Hello, I am going to look at a 2004 Swing this weekend, no maintenance data as it is on its second owner who owned it for about a year. Millage is just below 2k and asking price is $3,200. Looking for advice on what to look for.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Swing   Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:30 pm

A typical Silver Wing will start right up, run smoothly and there will be no sign of oil leaking under the bike. That's normal, and it's a credit to the bike's simplicity and reliability (and brilliant engineering).

BUT, at 16 years and 2k miles, that's an average of 125 miles per YEAR, so the bike has been sitting idle for lonnnnnnnng stretches of time. Was it stored indoors? Any dry rot in rubber or rust on metal? How does the brake fluid, coolant and oil look?

What do the tire date-stamps say? If the tires are over six or seven years or show wear I would buy new ones. That's a few hundred bucks.

You can easily remove the three covers over the drive belt and see if that rubber is good. Again, it is normal for that belt to be fine. But like the tires, if it's 16-year old rubber, I would change it. A dealer will want a couple hundred bucks.

Brake fluid clear or yellow? That's due every two years.

I'd change the coolant. That's due every two or four years depending on which coolant you use.

I'd definitely put fresh oil + filter in it ... also gear oil.

Air filter is behind the right rear faring. It's about $35 for an OEM, less for a knock-off.

CVT filter is behind the first cover of the drive belt. It's a piece of foam that costs about $5.00.

That's top of mind. Silver Wings are ridiculously reliable. I swear you could bury one for ten years, dig it up, slap in a battery, and it would start.

Like I said, yours will probably fire right up and you can ride it indefinitely with minimal work. For me, I like updated maintenance. If you use a dealer, count on several hundred bucks given the age of the bike and the items noted above. I would use that in negotiating the price -- $3200 + $800 maintenance is a lot for a 16-year old bike.

The asking price is high unless all the updating has been done AND the body is in showroom condition. If that's the case, I still would look at $2500 or less. Just my $.02.

If you're handy with a wrench, get a pdf or print copy of the service manual and maintenance will be a fraction of the cost. It's an easy bike to work on. I'm on my 4th Silver Wing. I keep it in the garage as a second bike and love knowing it will start up every time and run and run and run.

Good luck!

Last edited by Delray on Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Swing   Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 12:35 am

Sounds a bit expensive for a 2004. Last year I purchased my current SW an '08 with 12,000 miles for $2500. Scooters usually are not as quick sellers as motorcycles so you should be able to the seller to come down on the price. I wouldn't spend more than 1800-2000 for the bike as described.

I agree with Delray on the items that should be replaced, sixteen years is a long time for rubber parts and all fluids.
Back to top Go down
Jokey34
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Swing   Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am

Thank you very much, very helpful.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Swing   Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 10:52 am

IMO, since the SWing didn't really change too much from when they started (2002) and stopped importing them to North America (2013?), for me, the year of the unit to me is less important than the current condition and maintenance history. Also, being a 2004, you will have the color coded "inner cover" (below the dashboard) vs. the black inner cover which came standard on the 2006? and later models.

For me I walk around it several times and really look at the overall condition such as scratches, damage, bent parts etc. I try to touch each body panel ... that makes me really look at it and see if there is any damage. Put it up on the center stand and make sure the tires rotate freely and straightly (my word).

Next, I pull and check the oil dipstick ... and look for color (bright gold is good unless using Royal Purple), bad smell is bad ... the correct level is good. I'll also look underneath and check out the engine block, condition of the oil filter (new or beat up?) etc. Next, I'll start it up, look for any unusual exhaust discharge and check all of the electrical compenents to ensure they work (lights, horn, signals etc.

Open the cargo bay, make sure the strut holds up the seat, check for the Operating Manual, toolkit, ensure the battery cover is there and secured properly, check the cargo bay light. Then I'll look underneath (I usually bring my mechanics mat) and I'll look at both tire's DOT date codes. If more than 3 years ... that's a negative for me.

Lastly, with no maintenance history to review, you can assume you'll be needing to change (and you should) all of the fluids (brakes, coolant, engine oil & final drive). To test if the current owner did this, simply ask him where the drain to the rad fluid is ... you'll know soon enough if he did it or not.

Last is the test ride ... assuming the current owner will let you go out on one. make sure you bring all of your riding gear along with you. I always bring along a photocopy of my Driver's Licence to show my MC endorsement to the seller and let them hang onto it when I take their machine for a test ride.

If all seems in order, then it's time to make a deal if you can. I start by asking if there is any wiggle room on the price and take it from there. Without having any maintenance history or service receipts, you have some leverage. Also, don't seem to anxious. Sellers observe this and know "they have you". Depending on the starting price, I usually start between 15-20 % below asking price if I think they are too high ... then I work my way up from there. Know your (buy) number and be prepared to walk away if you're not satisfied. There's always another SWing just down the road if you're patient.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out. BTW - my ideal buy price would be around $2,400 for this one with a max of $2,700 if it's in outstanding cosmetic condition.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Swing   Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 11:13 am

All the above good info, now does it have a Givi windshield or is it stock? Does it have a top box or pretty muck bone stock? Does it have a front fender mud flap?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Swing   Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 3:02 pm

One big advantage of the last few years of SWs being imported is that they added ABS to all the SWs instead of being an expensive extra. I wish my SW had ABS in fact that would be the only reason I'd sell mine. I've had ABS on Goldwings, and on the two K1100LTs as well as the BMW C650GT scooter I had. Well worth the extra cost. Takes most of the worry about riding on gravel.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Swing   Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 3:07 pm

exavid wrote:
... snipped ... One big advantage of the last few years of SWs being imported is that they added ABS to all the SWs instead of being an expensive extra.

If I'm not mistaken, all SWings imported into Canada had ABS. For sure my 2005 and 2009 both do. (2009 being the last year Honda brought SWings into Canada).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Swing   Looking to buy a Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking to buy a Swing
Page 1 of 1