Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Getting rid of the SWing...

Go down 
+10
Cookie
"Hi Yo"
GHM-PM
KurtPerthWA
DickO
larryinseattle
surlybiker58
matthew
strkngfang
realbtl
14 posters
AuthorMessage
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-12-19

Getting rid of the SWing... Empty
PostSubject: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 3:16 pm

and getting a 2012! Here's the story.

Last Fall when I started looking for wings I really wanted ABS. My reasons were A) my reflexes are not what they were when I was younger, B) rain storms are common on summer afternoons, C) there is often sand on the roads from winter and D) there are a lot of critters up here, deer but also elk, moose and bear. I like the idea of just glomming 2 handfulls of brake and letting the computer work its magic.

I bought my 08 because the price was good, $4k with 2600 miles, and I wasn't sure enough that I'd like a big scooter to pay a lot. I ended up putting 2200 miles on the 08 and just signed a deal to trade it for a 2012. Only lost $300 so I think I made a wise decision for once. The new one should be in towards the end of the week and I'll transfer my Russell seat and Cee Bailey windshield.

Plus I've heard that black is marginally faster than grey.
Back to top Go down
strkngfang
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
strkngfang

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Congrats on getting a 2012, who knows it might be the last model year? The black is really sharp!!
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 5:21 pm

On the 2012's you're right: the black is indeed faster. But that's not the case on previous year models. From 2002 thru 2011 it is the red/wine/burgundy models that have been track-test proven to be not marginally, but significantly faster.

Some people still insist on denying/rejecting the test results, but then, some people still insist that there's no global climate change either.

In any case, ride safe, and enjoy your new abs s'wing.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Those of us who own the 2007 Silver Grey model could make the case

that that is the fastest model with later years being somewhat slower

Just a purely subjective opinion on my part
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I am not sure how you went up 4 years and 5,000 miles for $300, but however you did that, good job!

Getting rid of the SWing... Postpics

Getting rid of the SWing... 75reduced
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 10:07 am

larryinseattle wrote:
I am not sure how you went up 4 years and 5,000 miles for $300, but however you did that, good job!

Just to clarify, I bought the SWing Dec. 2011 for $4k w/2500 miles on it. I'm getting $3.7k with 4700 miles on the trade-in on a 2012 @ $9.25k. I probably could have done
better selling it outright and dickering on the new price but Montana ain't scooter country. Otherwise it's head to Seattle area and that subtracts 1100 miles and hotels to whatever I might save. I decided to go the easy route and just trade in.

Bike is hopefully in this Sat so pix will have to wait.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 11:44 am

realbtl wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:

Just to clarify, I bought the SWing Dec. 2011 for $4k w/2500 miles on it. I'm getting $3.7k with 4700 miles on the trade-in on a 2012 @ $9.25k. I probably could have done
better selling it outright and dickering on the new price but Montana ain't scooter country. Otherwise it's head to Seattle area and that subtracts 1100 miles and hotels to whatever I might save. I decided to go the easy route and just trade in.

Bike is hopefully in this Sat so pix will have to wait.

Now I understand. That is the exact type of math I would use to show my wife that the first motorcycle didn't really cost anything besides the little bit of gas I put in the tank.

Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 10:12 pm

For everyone's info... black SWings have always been faster. The reason is because the cellular makeup of black paint is much smaller thus compacting better to provide a much smoother finish thus providing for much less friction between paint and the air rushing by it. And is even better with a freshly applied coating of liquid Pledge to make it even slicker... thus even faster... A guy told me all about it one day.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 11:07 pm

I agree with Mike O on this, however his source is either ill informed or forgot about the extra 5 mph which could be added to the black paint top speed by adding GT style stripes... A very common addon in the US and OZ cos we know better!

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Congrats on the 2012! I have only driven a '12 model but I like it so far!!! And yes the black is a great color!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Getting rid of the SWing... 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 5:50 am

DickO wrote:
For everyone's info... black SWings have always been faster. The reason is because the cellular makeup of black paint is much smaller thus compacting better to provide a much smoother finish thus providing for much less friction between paint and the air rushing by it. And is even better with a freshly applied coating of liquid Pledge to make it even slicker... thus even faster... A guy told me all about it one day.
Before or after you bought the bridge? Smile Everyone's heard of the "Silver Streak', but black is just a skid mark.
Back to top Go down
strkngfang
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
strkngfang

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 6:08 am

No comments about the blue SWings, so I guess I have one of the "slower" ones?? I have always liked the black and dark red ones, very sharp!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 7:20 am

It's actually a little known fact that the blue ones are faster than any of them.
This is simply because they look so much more classy and dignified. Therefore the rider 'floats' along on a wave of self righteousness resulting in the engine having to do less work.
Stands to reason eh?

Incidentally this fact is 'little known' as I only just made it up... Even I hadn't heard of it five minutes ago!
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 am

I presumed that the silver colored Silverwing (like mine), although not the fastest, would be the most environmentally friendly by reflecting more of the sun's harmful rays back into space, thus reducing the greenhouse effect caused by the sun's warming of the atmosphere, and subsequently the evil outcomes of "man made climate change". Maybe all Silverwings should be silver, then we could all be making a real positive difference for the planet.

There... I feel better now.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 11:50 am

Darkeswinger wrote:
. Maybe all Silverwings should be silver, then we could all be making a real positive difference for the planet.

Good point! After all they are called "Silver" Wings!!!

What a Face
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 1:28 pm

OK, thats it, now that I've learned my '08 is one of the slowest S/Wing's, I'am going to change variator, sliders, air filter, spark plug and any other changes that will give me more launch off the line and if that doe'nt do it, I'll strap a rocket to my a** and blow everyone out of the water. Ride Safe.

Robert
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Here is the real reason black is the fastest color. It more readily absorbs energy from the sun allowing optimal use of Honda's patented and highly secret Honda Alternative Locomotive Force Auto Synergy System Electric Drive, known in typical Honda-speak by its acronym, for increased power.

See, this is one of the reasons I ride. The sun came out today so I took the S40 out and thoughts like this pop up out of nowhere.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Time for the tin-foil hat Exclamation

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 5:03 pm

While some year models may or MAY NOT be faster, the 2003 was the only year when REVERSE was STANDARD!
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:08 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
DickO wrote:
Before or after you bought the bridge? Smile Everyone's heard of the "Silver Streak', but black is just a skid mark.

Really... "Hi Yo"... I am sadly offended about your disbelief in my highly sophisticated, thoroughly researched technical explanation. Really... I'm kinda' sure it was true... Crying or Very sad Sad Rolling Eyes Neutral Suspect silent
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Mine is an 05 and it has an Over Drive Button on the dash.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of the SWing...   Getting rid of the SWing... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting rid of the SWing...
Page 1 of 1