Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Miles Per Gallon

Go down 
+25
Old Limey
vmaximus
kbcmdba
Ferrell
MikeO
MaxB
exavid
Waspie
Cosmic_Jumper
masscoot
DickO
honda_silver
mikbak
dickie
DannyAlcott
Ghost_rider
joncallihan
The Scootist
DennisB
matthew
skiwoods
jdeereanton
Bernardo
JeffR
ronjr009
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 9:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

Riding between 65-70 MPH on a an interstate or similar style long distance ride, what kind of gas numbers are you guys pulling with your S-Wings?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi Honda_Silver, I am using the basemap M123-000. Which map has worked well for you?
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 8:52 pm

My '05 is stock with a Givi windshield. Have had as low as 42 mgp and as high as 53 (how I managed either one, I don't know). Most recent was 48 mpg after 120 mostly back country miles (55 - 60 mph) and 20 miles of 65 - 70 mph interstate and freeway. I think the 48 is probably close to my average.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 9:40 pm

ronjr009 wrote:
Hi Honda_Silver, I am using the basemap M123-000. Which map has worked well for you?

I would like to compare map M123-000 (no longer available on site) and M123-001 (available on site).

I know I was using the basemap too, M123-000 but I had a harddrive failure so it was either M123-000 or M123-001. If you can email me M123-000 then I can compare against what I was running before.

Either way, I got worse gas mileage with the basemap. I waited till I had warmer weather before I switched maps.

After I switched maps to the European basemap
M123-501 European Model-Stock exhaust, Stock air filter
right after I switched I saw immediate improvement and for every tankful since.

Could you switch maps to see if you get recreatable results?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 12:38 am

Three tanks, three 53 mpg readings. Like clockwork.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:51 am

Good to read you got your MPGs sorted! If anyone wants a copy of my PC dyno map, (although this is for an after market free flowing exhaust), then PM me and I'll attach it to an email and send it. generally speaking it is much leaner than the stock map, and is around 25% leaner in some places....

Happy Riding
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 8:55 am

Yesterday we went on a 170 mile jaunt with several other bikes and riders of various skill levels. I chose the route and it is one I really enjoy running at strafing speed (generally), but yesterday was very laid back and mellow.

Pulled a 64-MPG day, I don't know why the throttle plays such a big factor Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 Icon_lol .

Just for perspective on how the throttle affects the MPG - my averge for the 2nd quarter of 2010 so far is 51.6-MPG. It would seem that 64-MPG is a statistical anomaly - at least for me and the riding I typically am engaged in.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 12:07 pm

Dale,

That is good mileage and my best is about 56 mpg, if I remember correctly. I generally avg abouti 50 mpg with doing 65 mph on the interstate, but it can go down to about 48 mpg with much full throttle acceleration. When on 2 lane roads doing about 55 mph I can get about 53-55 mpg. It seems if people use much heavy acceleration the mpg's really go down but with nice easy throttle the SWing can really get some good mileage. It's just hard at times to stay off of it since it is so fun.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:34 am

I haven't checked mine in quite a while. I agree that the air filter change to K&N was significant. The Dr Pulley slider upgrade smoothed things out with increased response and elevated fun factor, but at first decreased MPG due to "testing". My windshield is stock and ride with approx 10-15 pounds of extra gear (tools & stuff). The Iriduim spark plugs did nothing improvement wise. My tire pressure is at or about +2 from recomennded. Typical MPG for me has been 48-52, if ridden more on the conservative side. These machines get thristy when lots of throttle is used.

Side Note: I have a Dr Pulley experiment scheduled for later this week, mixing 28g & 21g together (using the dry lube addition). I have this annoyong distraction (a full time job) that gets in the way of my most of my projects Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes . If all goes well I will report back this time next week.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:01 am

On a 3000 mile trip around the Great Lakes last August, using Dr Pulley 28 gm Sliders, Dr. Pulley HiT Clutch, Darkside Tire, and carrying a full load of gear, an oversize me and a large Clearview windscreen I averaged 50-53 mpg --and at that there were two back-to-back 750 mile riding days.

This year, while retaining the 28 gm Sliders, I've recently changed to Dr Pulley's new V-4 HiT Clutch. Right out of the box it's a better set up than the earlier generation HiT Clutch so it will be interesting to see what kind of touring mileage I get. YMMV

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic Jumper
Philadelphia
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:55 am

masscoot wrote:
The Iriduim spark plugs did nothing improvement wise.

The Iridium spark plus did not improve my gas mileage either. Though I have been able to run my Iridium plugs so far about 5 times longer and going.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:45 pm

MPG, well I have 3,300 miles of my Wing and am currently averaging 56 mpg which I consider to be quite reasonable for my style of riding. I am aggressive and will open the throttle at every opportunity exceeding national speed limits when allowed. (No traffic and clear roads).

Probably wrong but I enjoy it. I do switch to sensible when riding in habitation.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 4:58 pm

You all are getting some GREAT gas mileage....I just need to stop racing Harley's. I'm sure my gas mileage will get better for it.

And to answer your question....YES.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 5:45 am

DennisB wrote:
You all are getting some GREAT gas mileage....I just need to stop racing Harley's. I'm sure my gas mileage will get better for it.

And to answer your question....YES.

I suspect once that my Wing has had it's first major service the mpg will drop.

Over the years I have found that to be the norm on both my cars and bikes. Don't know what they do when they service my machines but my mpg always drops as does my top end speed.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:48 am

Waspie wrote:
MPG, well I have 3,300 miles of my Wing and am currently averaging 56 mpg which I consider to be quite reasonable for my style of riding.

56 Imperial MPG or 56 US MPG??
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 10:26 am

I have to agree that some of you are getting some great mpg. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but during the winter months here in Colorado we are required to use high oxygenated fuels (10 to 15 % ethanol) and when I use those fuels I see a pretty significant drop in my mpg. Of course my riding style also makes a difference, but with real gasoline I usually get right around 50 mpg and have seen as high as 54 mpg. With the ethanol blend I am lucky to get 45 mpg and often only get 42 or 43. It also seems to be worse when the temperature outside is less that about 35 to 40 degrees F. Thankfully the weather is warming up and we just started using real gasoline again so I am seeing better mpg again.

Last edited by The Scootist on Wed May 12, 2010 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 3:05 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Waspie wrote:
MPG, well I have 3,300 miles of my Wing and am currently averaging 56 mpg which I consider to be quite reasonable for my style of riding.

56 Imperial MPG or 56 US MPG??

Sorry - Imp Gallons.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 11:09 pm

I gotta admit that I was expecting a bit better mileage with the Silverwing. It gets maybe 20% mileage better than my 1500cc 850lb. Goldwing. At 70mph highway cruising they get about the same mileage. I suspect the cause is the CVT which has more friction than the overdrive tranny and shaft drive of the big 'Wing.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:43 am

There is little doubt in my mind that the CVT as executed on the Silverwing is not very efficient at speed. All of the high speed runs I've ridden have yielded real poor mileage numbers. The mileage does get worse in cold weather and with oxygenated gas.

Extended riding at 55mph and less such as on scenic roads will give me the best result. In town stop light to stop light I tend to really twist the throttle and that causes a drastic drop in the MPG.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:16 am

I avg. 48-49 MPG in general mixed riding. low 40's some times.

That said I have the J Costa, PCIII European map slightly modded, synthetic Mobil 1 High mileage 10w-40 , Mobil 1 80w gear lube, Givi windshield, Honda top case 48 L. all the time. Hyperpro front springs.
I weigh ~300 lbs.
Lots of stop and go, short trips, around town.
And it's hard for me to not hammer down. I have been trying to keep it below 5k rpm on takeoff. (not much luck there)
So I guess I do OK, for mileage.
MaxB (who got 42MPG before mods)
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 8:02 am

The X9OC Anniversary Rideout to Pembrokeshire was last weekend.

I travelled 930 miles in all and worked out the Winged Express averaged 53MPG (Imperial)/ 44+MPG (US) or 5.34ltr/100km.

The rides included dawdles, motorway cruises and one blast of 10+minutes at 90MPH on my way home.

I spent just over £90/$130 on petrol.
Back to top Go down
Ferrell
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ferrell

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Just had my first service in Germany. Surprised to find over the first two tankfuls that the mpg had gone up. 56 mpg tooling through the small towns in southwest Germany. Will put a hundred miles or so on the autobahn this week and will let you know. Normal use up to this time has been right around 50. Best ever was a trip up the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to Monterey and back ... 70 mpg.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:50 am

For me, avg warm-weather mpg is around 50mpg (US) and cold-weather is about 45. I attribute the difference to the gas mix in the colder months as well as much higher air density (causing more drag) as well as a higher drag rate from more and heavier clothing. I also tend to make shorter trips and spend a lot more time warming the bike up in the winter while longer trips are the norm when good weather abounds. I generally accellerate faster than cars around me but I don't automatically open the throttle at every green light.

I just added a throttle lock to help me with maintaining speed on my longer rides though I know there are other things I could be doing to increase fuel efficiency. I do tend to anticipate light changes and while I don't draft off large vehicles in front of me, I do tend to be a little more aware of how wind affects my mileage and handling.

I have found that in my area, Shell gas tends to give me the best performance / mileage for the price.

I track my mileage using an Android app simply called Mileage. It takes the price per gallon, the gallons pumped, and the odometer reading and since it is on my phone, it's a habit I have been using effectively for the last 10 months. Good news is the app can track multiple vehicles and service intervals too.

KB
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 4:56 am

Hi guys,i am also interested in the MPG achieved by other forum members.I have been getting into the high 50's(56-58) riding two up with a combined weight of 180(ish) Kgs mainly on English motorways and major roads travelling at generally the legal limit with the occasional higher speed burst,the best i have got was 60.8MPG.I am looking into towing a trailer and expect the MPG to drop if i do decide to go in this direction.What is the pitfalls of towing a trailer,the plus-minus's.any info would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:02 am

vmaximus, if I can point out a warning on page six, (Accessories and Modifications,) of the user manual;

Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your
scooter. This scooter was not designed
for these attachments, and their use can
seriously impair your scooter’s handling.

Not that I haven't heard of it being done. It doesn't hurt knowing what Honda say!!!!
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:42 am

Waspie! I did I just see you do not sevice your own machines.
A man of your calibre and obvious mechanicle skills. I would never have thought that Iam not being sarcastic, it just surprised me. Just out of interest Iam now coming up to 10,000mls. It looks like i need a new front tyre now as iam down to 2mm. Surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 10:38 am

I notice a difference when I use Ethanol Free gas vs 10 or 15% Ethanol Gas. It can be up to 7 MPG difference. Of course it's about 5% more expensive too.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Waspie,i have seen the warning and no doubt the majority of manufacturers issue a similar type of thing.It seems that quite alot of people from over the pond tow a trailer.I just wanted feedback on experience's (good or bad) before i make my mind up.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 3:07 am

vmaximus wrote:
Waspie,i have seen the warning and no doubt the majority of manufacturers issue a similar type of thing.It seems that quite alot of people from over the pond tow a trailer.I just wanted feedback on experience's (good or bad) before i make my mind up.

I noticed you were a UK rider and knowing how our insurance companies look for an out when claims are made I wouldn't like to see anyone fall foul.

I have no recollection of any such warning on my Burgman, maybe the frame was geared up for a strengthening point!!!
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:12 am

Mileage report from recent trip to AR:

Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 Mileag10

As the above shows - We got pretty good mileage during this trip. I can't explain the variance especially since we rode the same routes within seconds of each other.

The first entry on the 26th was to fill up before rolling toward Mountain View, AR. The 26th was spent in transit as was the 31st (did not fill up when we got home).

The rest of the days were spent mostly in and around Mountain View. Chart does not reflect a daily mileage as we often did not fill up at the end of each day.

Our lows: Kim - 45.821 / Dale - 44.902
Our highs: Kim - 67.703 / Dale - 67.107
Our averages: Kim - 54.658 / Dale - 54.181
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi...I don't have the high mileage some of you have on your SWings, but mine seems to average 45-50 mpg. I've never gotten over 50, but have dropped below 45 to 42 or so when the speedo goes past 70 and stays there...
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 1:04 pm

I consistently got >50 MPG and reached 60 MPG on occasion when rinding one up on straight highway when my scoot was two wheels. Now with the UltraWing trike under the same conditions I am in the upper 40s. And on our recent trip of >2600 miles I averaged 42.3 MPG. That was two up and luggage loaded. I replaced plugs and installed the K&N air filter before the trip. Another thing that influences MPG here in the states now is the Ethanol in fuel. I am fortunate to have non Ethanol fuels (ONLY) available. I don't know how long that is going to last. But while it does the mileage should be in the higher range. I did not find much non ethanol fuel on our trip.

Last edited by Opalsboy on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 3:58 pm

i seem to get 100 miles before the last bar am i doing something wrong Twisted Evil this equates to around 11 liters
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:56 pm

The past week or so I have been deliberately watching my speed and revs.

Keeping in the main below 5 k revs I have been getting between 53 and 57 mpg. Way better return than the 40 something previously. (Just a lot less fun.) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Finally getting 50mpg   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Switched to stock windshield plugged up holes on airbox and summer gas did it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miles Per Gallon   Miles Per Gallon - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Miles Per Gallon
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2