Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First long ride - Alberta Rockies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TonyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-06-04

First long ride - Alberta Rockies Empty
PostSubject: First long ride - Alberta Rockies   First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi all.  

Last weekend I decided to make a trip to see my mother (and get some road time on my 06 Swing) from Edmonton to Calgary and back (major highway route is about 600km (370mi) round trip.  Rather than major highway, I took a two lane through the foothills (Hwy 22, it's actually called Cowboy Trail) south to Rocky Mountain House, then west into the Rockies (Hwy 11) to the mid-point of the Bow Valley/Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93).  This is the road I really wanted to ride - down a valley between Jasper and Banff in the middle of the Rockies.  There were lots of other riders and rental RVs on the road. Then through Banff to Calgary (670 km).  Coming back, I went straight up the Cowboy Trail back to Edmonton (450 km).  Down on Friday, back on Sunday, just over 1100 kms (680 mi).

Weather was cool (10-15C / 50-60F) and damp/rainy on the way down, even colder and rainier on the way back (under 10C/50F).  Butt was hurting on a stock seat - time to investigate something better.  All in all, a tough ride, but worth it.  Swing ran well - better than I did, I'd say.  I highly recommend the Canadian Rockies for scenery, but dress for the weather!

Cheers, TonyO
Attachments
First long ride - Alberta Rockies Attachmentswing.crowfoot.glacier.jpg
Obligatory photo on Hwy 93 with Crowfoot Glacier (and unsuspecting tourists)
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(210 Kb) Downloaded 30 times
First long ride - Alberta Rockies AttachmentHwy11.jpg
Going into the mountains. Sky tells it all...
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(65 Kb) Downloaded 23 times
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: First long ride - Alberta Rockies   First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 12:12 pm

I have ridden the Canadian Rockies several times=worth it.

Last year returning from Hyder AK----because of weather and changes professional quality bike clothes and rubber boots nice to have along, I pack feather jacket to wear under my riding jacket, too. Freezing not fun.
Back to top Go down
cerve137
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: First long ride - Alberta Rockies   First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Airhawk seat pads add hours to the pain threshold. I've found that with the right mods, 300+ mile days are definitely do-able. My list is airhawk R seat pad, standard Crampbuster, spyder gel grips, heavy throttlemeister bar ends/lock, utopia backrest. As many have stated before the key is to get off and take a short walk every hour or 2 and drink lots of water.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: First long ride - Alberta Rockies   First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 3:51 pm

TonyO

Stunning photo of the Crowfoot Glacier. Gee, if it were cropped to delete the tourists & car and some of the less eventfull landscape on the right it would make a awesome forum home page photo. Hint.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: First long ride - Alberta Rockies   First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 2:46 pm

IM jealous, we may get 60 F in about 3 months!
Back to top Go down
TonyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-06-04

PostSubject: Re: First long ride - Alberta Rockies   First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Thanks all, for the comments and suggestions.

I knew seat comfort with the stock seat would be a bit of a challenge, but (perhaps stupidly) wanted to see how far I could manage. I made it, but just barely, even with frequent stops (I'm not cursing the small tank on the Swing so much now). Maybe an Airhawk would make a nice Christmas present...

As for the photo, I'll have to consider it for my profile - definitely more attractive than me...

Cheers,
TonyO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First long ride - Alberta Rockies   First long ride - Alberta Rockies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First long ride - Alberta Rockies
Page 1 of 1