Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First Long Ride

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

First Long Ride Empty
PostSubject: First Long Ride   First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2022 11:14 am

I have just arrived home after a trip on the Forza down to Ruislip (near Watford) to attend the wedding of a First Cousin, Once Removed i.e. the son of my cousin.
I didn't do it all in one go; I overnighted in the Premier Inn in Grantham both on the way down and back and stayed the two nights either side of Saturday in another Premier Inn near the wedding venue.
The weather was fine on all five days but cloudy and very chilly although there was some light rain today - not enough to force the use of waterproofs, fortunately.

The bike performed very well. I sensed but didn't really miss the reduction in power from the Silverwing, never being prevented from moving from Lane 1 to Lane 2 into a line of fast-moving traffic.
Travelling at a sustained 70 MPH does mean fuel consumption takes a bit of a dive, of course, but I wasn't troubled by it. I didn't bother to make any note of that although I collected receipts when I filled up.
I put my trust in the 'Range' gauge and it seemed very accurate.
Two slight downsides:
Naturally, as it's smaller than the Silverwing and one sits more 'on' it than 'in' it, it's a bit more drafty so I must remember to wear my kidney-belt on longer rides.
The Forza, for me really doesn't have a 'Feet Forward' position. Half-way home I reluctantly decided to ride flat-footed but quickly found it much more comfortable. Result!

I travelled somewhere between 530 and 540 miles, predominantly on motorways and duel-carriageways. As with the petrol consumption and price I didn't record departure and arrival times.

All in all I'm very pleased. Smile

I'll post this elsewhere, too.

Last edited by MikeO on Tue May 03, 2022 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

First Long Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Long Ride   First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2022 9:24 pm

Four days of riding and a wedding who needs an excuse anyway. 540 miles and sights seen well worth it . Ride ON.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-20

First Long Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Long Ride   First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2022 11:42 pm

Missing my chance to ride tomorrow (finally a decent forecast) as I have my SWing tore apart. Glad someone's riding. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

First Long Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Long Ride   First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2022 4:10 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Four days of riding and a wedding who needs an excuse anyway. 540 miles and sights seen well worth it . Ride ON.

I can assure you that riding down to London from the North East, or Yorkshire on what once was called the Great North Road is in reality a most tedious and boring ride.

There's no interesting sights to see from the road on either outward or return journeys, and has the same overpriced bland fast food served in every service area if you stop for a break.

The only relief from this mind numbing monotony is the odd glance at the sat nav counting down the miles to your destination and the estimated arrival time.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

First Long Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Long Ride   First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2022 3:08 am

I'll second that, the A1 is distilled tedium, but it does get you from A to B quite efficiently.
I think it's fair to say all motorways are boring with the exception of that bit of the M6 past the Howgill Fells.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

First Long Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Long Ride   First Long Ride I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2022 11:33 am

Just back from another weekend away, this time to Calne, a little town between Bath and Swindon for those not familiar with the area.
As with the 'Rickmansworth Trip' I spread both journeys over two day since I have the time and enough cash to stay in reasonable hotels.
Total miles: approximately 600 - I'll add it all up in due course.
The Forza performed faultlessly although is a little more susceptible to the rather strong winds encountered today.
Sadly, it rained for the Friday morning leg of the trip and as I was on country roads, the bike got very muddy. Happily, the heavy showers today washed off most of the mud; I think the jet-washer will make short work of the residue tomorrow. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First Long Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Long Ride   First Long Ride I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Long Ride
Page 1 of 1