Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New tires for SW

Go down 
+3
DickO
JeffR
DanB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 11:37 am

Personally don't know why folks sell bikes with bald tires. Every bike I've ever sold had a fresh oil change, new or good tires and was washed and cleaned. Oh well, rant over. Bought SW yesterday with.....you guessed it....bald rear tire with cord showing and this was a Dallas motorcycle cop's personal bike.

So, ordering new tires. Any suggestions? Installed a c/t on my Burgman but I've been reading here that, that may not be a good idea with ABS brakes due to the difference in tire size between bike and car tires.I also get some fairly strong head shake on my B650 under hard acceleration up to higher speeds. Someone thought that a c/t may create head shake at the handlebars. Anyway, gotta get new tires and change out the drive belt. Do y'all recomrnend  sliders or rollers?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 1:04 pm

As for the sliders or rollers...I think the sliders are much better. I found the sliders help make the SWing even smoother and I would recommend the 26 gr for just a bit better acceleration but also they seem to reduce the rpm's at interstate speed.

I had the Hoops, Diablo's, and Metzler's and I found the Diablo's and Metzler's much better than the Hoops. They seemd to grip the road much better, IMO, and gave a smoother ride and took the imperfections of the interstate better. The Hoops seemed last longer but the better ride of the Diablo's and Metzler's seemed worth it to me to get about 2,000 fewer miles. I got about 10,000 with the 2 and could've gotten 12,000 on the Hoops.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi DanB,
I recently himm-hawed around for quite some time trying to decide whether or not I wanted to go to a car tire or not after I'd worn my rear mc tire (Pirelli Diablo w/6300 miles) down to the cords. Finally "bit the bullet" and went to the darkside and everything is just fine. Had I not decided to do that, I would have gone back to the original IRC's which wore like iron in my estimation and were great tires. My front is still a Diablo and has many miles left yet.

Believe my next project, other than oil and water, will be an OEM belt change and a set of Pulley sliders in place of the rollers. Good luck on your decision.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 5:00 pm

I pretty much agree with Jeff with the exception that I've never tried the Metzler's. But the last time I needed tires my local dealer had the Hoops on sale and free mounting and balancing so I went ahead and used them again with no regrets. The next time I need tires I'll get the Diablo's, unless the dealer has the Hoops on sale again. I don't mind the Hoops but I do feel the Diablo's have better grip.
I also agree with using the 26 gram sliders, and unlike rollers the sliders never seem to wear out.

DickO posted as I was typing so I'll add I've also used the IRC's with no complaints. Again because they were on sale at the time when I needed tires. I guess we're luckily the the Silverwing handles well on so many different tire brands.
Back to top Go down
damian30
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2014-02-18

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 5:46 pm

I agree with Diablos, tried 2 sets of Avons beforehand, nearly got thrown off in the wet, complained, got a second set, same happened as they clearly aren't suitable for such a powerful bike (compared to 125's) but since changing, had no problems at all.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Discovered today that my new SW does not have a stock seat but a Russell. It came with a Givi V46 top box, Givi windshield and a Russell seat. Nice upgrades.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 9:06 pm

That seat is junk, send it to me and I'll send you a genuine Honda stock seat. See I'm such a nice guy that I'll suffer just to help a fellow Silverwing rider. dealwithit
I'm jealous I wish I had one.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2012-05-17

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 10:34 pm

I have been happy with the IRC's and they wear very well. My rear lasted 11K and the front nearly made 15K. And if you go to your dealer and ask for the OEM IRC tire you might save 40% over the same tire elsewhere. Got both my new IRC's in that manner and saved a ton of dosh... YMMV
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 11:34 am

Here's the Russell seat.
Attachments
New tires for SW Attachment00w0w_indjbPAIiUk_600x450~3.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(14 Kb) Downloaded 34 times
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 11:06 pm

DanB wrote:
Personally don't know why folks sell bikes with bald tires. Every bike I've ever sold had a fresh oil change, new or good tires and was washed and cleaned. Oh well, rant over. Bought SW yesterday with.....you guessed it....bald rear tire with cord showing and this was a Dallas motorcycle cop's personal bike.

So, ordering new tires. Any suggestions?  Installed a c/t on my Burgman but I've been reading here that, that may not be a good idea with ABS brakes due to the difference in tire size between bike and car tires.I also get some fairly strong head shake on my B650 under hard acceleration up to higher speeds. Someone thought that a c/t may create head shake at the handlebars. Anyway, gotta get new tires and change out the drive belt. Do y'all recomrnend  sliders or rollers?

I use a 165/65R13 on my Silverwing since it is the car tire closest in size to the stock scooter tire and it poses no problem at all with the ABS brakes on my bike. The only time I ever noticed head shake was on deceleration below 40 mph; and that was with both the stock scooter tire and the car tire... Even then, it would only happen if I took both hands off the handlebars. YMMV

If you you have not asked for permission already to join the separate darkside section, maybe it might be a good idea. Then you could look into this thread " Darkside and ABS " here:
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications :: Darkside Car Tire :: Darkside Car Tire Experience.

Last edited by bandito2 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 12:59 am

DanB,

I went ahead and gave you access to the Darkside Tire section.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 6:22 am

Thanks Jeff. I"ll go check it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New tires for SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires for SW   New tires for SW I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New tires for SW
Page 1 of 1