Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
best tires I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
best tires I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
best tires I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
best tires I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
best tires I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
best tires I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
best tires I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
best tires I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
best tires I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
best tires I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

best tires

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

best tires Empty
PostSubject: best tires   best tires I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 2:24 pm

Any one know what tires are best for silverwing? I have a 2006 needing new tires that will last and not make front shake need belt also any sugestons?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

best tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tires   best tires I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Ken,

I have tried the Hoops and the Pirelli Diablo's and I think the Diablo's are a better tire. It seems they grip better and have a smoother ride. I'm on my 2nd set of Diablo's with the first getting about 9,500 miles. I could have gone a bit further but I don't like to stretch things too far.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

best tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tires   best tires I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 2:52 pm

I agree Jeff, having good tires is a must.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

best tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tires   best tires I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 am

Best tires is an extremely subjective area. Good tires are indeed a must but, what is a good tire and which is the best? Those are great questions.

What is best for my riding style and comfort may not be best for your riding style and comfort.

Some tires are purported to be stickier and thus better for canyon carving, some are purported to be longer wearing, and some are purported to be best for MPG. All of this is based on that riders riding style and choice.

All of that points back to the "best compromise" possible. The Bridgestone Hoops are the predominant Original Equipment from Manufacturer (OEM) tire used on the SilverWing. IRC's are also used as an OEM selection.

There is also the car "darkside" tire option for the rear. Many have used this and are reporting good results. There is a handling characteristic with the darkside tire that is easily adapted to and does not seem to have negative impact. I have not tried this, but do have a new darkside tire in my garage and may try it in the near future

Good luck with your search. I realize I didn't make a recommendation - on purpose, but if you'd like my recommendation the Hoop is an all around good choice for a motorcycle tire. Motorcycle Superstore carries them (in stock) and at a good price. Your dealership might match the price. If you buy at the dealership they may discount the cost of mounting.

Best tire advice ever - check your tire pressures regularly - weekly at least if not daily.

As for the belt -

Check the folks at Two Wheel Touring and Scooter Trap. I believe the links can be found in the parts secttion of this forum. Both are supporters of the scooter scene and the folks who work at each placed ride scooters.

I have no objective comments on the OEM vs. Kevlar choice / debate. OEM belts go a bit farther than the recommended 16,000 miles, but how much farther...
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

best tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tires   best tires I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 am

jdeereanton wrote:
There is also the car "darkside" tire option for the rear. Many have used this and are reporting good results. There is a handling characteristic with the darkside tire that is easily adapted to and does not seem to have negative impact.

If you are racing your SWing at the track (which I am not Razz), you may not want a "darkside" tire. Otherwise I believe my "darkside" tire handling characteristics exceeds the original OEM for most conditions.

jdeereanton wrote:
I have not tried this,
but do have a new darkside tire in my garage and may try it in the near
future

What are you waiting for cheers.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

best tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tires   best tires I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Bill,

So you've gotten so used to the little handling characteristic you don't even notice it any more - just kidding.

I do think that the average rider is not really going to notice the vary slight tendency of the darkside tire. Few of us ride so intensely through a corner that we'd notice the handling of the rear tire. I did not write that last statement tongue-in-cheek.

As to why it's not on the bike yet - well I have about 7,000 miles left on my current rear tire. Kim is even father away from a new tire than I and she is reluctant to switch. I have no problem with those who switch and plan to some day, I have no problem with those who do not wish to try the darkside tire. To each their own. Every one should ride the bike that they are comfortable riding.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

best tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tires   best tires I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 6:53 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
As to why it's not on the bike yet - well I have about 7,000 miles left on my current rear tire. Kim is even father away from a new tire than I and she is reluctant to switch. I have no problem with those who switch and plan to some day, I have no problem with those who do not wish to try the darkside tire. To each their own.

Would you let Kim ride your SWing when you put the darkside tire on Razz. Would she be willing to your SWing with a darkside tire to see for herself? Question

jdeereanton wrote:
To each their own.
Every one should ride the bike that they are comfortable riding.

Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

best tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tires   best tires I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:23 am

Kenny,

Did we help you at all? Or, did we just muddy the water a bit? If you would please let us know what tires you finally decide upon and why.

Bill,

We trade off between our bikes regularly. Once the tire goes on I'm certain she will want to try it and I have no problem letting her ride my bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

best tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tires   best tires I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

best tires
Page 1 of 1