Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:39 am

» Drive belt prices
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?

Go down 
+5
Freedomjerr
exavid
Opalsboy
DennisB
tankyuong
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Silverwing "DOH!" cruise control $3.50 + FREE SHIPPING
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Looks too good to be true, and in addition, a bit dangerous.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:50 pm

I say....If it looks like a rip off, there’s a good chance it is.
affraid
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Control...   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:22 pm

When I first sat down to reply here, I had intended to get a little dirty... I just couldn't help it. Reading the description and looking at the image... bad thoughts came to my mind. Now that I have settled down and analyzed it a little more, it does look like a $3.50 rubber band or "O" ring. Nothing bad, just seems like you could find something around the house that would do the job...well,,,, there I go back to the gutter... sorry.

Gary
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 8:13 pm

There are just a bunch of throttle locks on the market. I purchased a NEP and installed it the first part of the year and it has worked very well for me on those long flat roads around Oklahoma. Sure saves on the wrist. Here is a thread:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?store_code=CST&screen=PROD&product_code=177

There's a good reason I chose the NEP over the other manufactures...and it was not the price. See if you figure why I purchased NEP over the others. Suspect

Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? Nep210

Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? Nep410

Last edited by DennisB on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo correction...what's new)
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:19 pm

I've used a thick O-ring on a Honda GL1100 in a long ride once, I'd seen the ad for the yellow O-ring before at an online vendor's site. Since I had a kit of O-rings from Harbor Freight I just tried a couple different sizes until I had one that would hold reasonably well. I don't think they're any more dangerous than the $30 throttle locks, easy to override and if the bike goes over the tilt switch will shut it off. When the weather gets lousy this fall or winter I'm going to install a Rostra all electronic cruise control on my SW. I put one on a Goldwing Interstate and my old truck, the unit really works well. Relatively easy to install since there's only one unit, no vacuum accumulator or separate actuator.
Back to top Go down
Freedomjerr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: $1.00 Cruise control   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:22 am

Hi,

I went to a local car parts dealer and tried various size o-rings. Found one that works ok. Easy to use. Cost me $1.00.
Of course, you have to turn back the throttle with a twist of your hand as releasing the throttle grip will no longer automatically back off the throttle while the o-ring is in place. The o-ring just nips between the end of the throttle grip and the end weight. I only use mine when on long rides on highways. Tend not to use it in town.
I do find that over a few minutes the throttle tends to creep back down, but it does give me a couple to minutes to remove my hand from the throttle for a stretch of the fingers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:10 pm

Humm not sure if that might be dangerous since your mind thinks the throttle will go back down. I have one of those plastic palm clips. Under ten bucks and your palm just rests on it and it take the pressure off of your wrist and hand. I just love mine. I put a throttle control on my other bike and once I got this I never used it again. You can spin it around and sort of adjust it to whatever speed you are going.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:36 pm

driftwoodpoint wrote:
Humm not sure if that might be dangerous since your mind thinks the throttle will go back down. I have one of those plastic palm clips. Under ten bucks and your palm just rests on it and it take the pressure off of your wrist and hand. I just love mine. I put a throttle control on my other bike and once I got this I never used it again. You can spin it around and sort of adjust it to whatever speed you are going.
I got the wide version that came out ,it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
skydad99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Where can you order one of the palm clips? Sounds like something I definitely need.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:38 pm

skydad99 wrote:
Where can you order one of the palm clips? Sounds like something I definitely need.
MotoEssentials.com
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3792
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 am

They're often called Cramp Busters - lots of places sell them on line as well as in-store.
The BMW dealers near us has them on the shelf.......... at twice the normal price!
(Why am I not surprised?)

PS Am I alone in thinking the yellow band looks just like a rolled up c*nd*m or is my mind dirtier than anyone else's. Shocked (No offence meant)
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:18 am

skydad99 wrote:

I had a Crampbuster, but it interfered with an emergency braking maneuver and I ended up braking with the throttle still accelerating ... I took it off that night.

I have the Wrist Rest ( http://newstyleleathers.com/wrist_rest.html ) which pivots and has never interfered with braking ... in fact I have TWO ... one on each side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:03 am

I have a Crampbuster. I didn't like it until I added Manic Salamanders to my handlebars. Now I can position the Crampbuster half on the handlebar and half on the weight, so that I can avoid it when I want to and use it when I want, without moving it. I have small hands, so this might not work for some of you.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 7:03 pm

So Dennis, don't keep us in suspense any longer: WHY did you choose the NEP?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi Matthew,

OK, here it is....both the Vista Cruise and the NEP throttle locks
are fine products and do what they are suppost to. I had a chance to look at both very closely side by side when installed on Silverwing throttle grips.

The reason I went with the NEP is.......the postion of the thumb latch when mounted on the swings throttle grip. As you can see on the above photo's the thumb latch is much higher on the NEP. On the Vista Cruise it seemed that the positioning of the thumb latch was much lower and interfered with a persons thumb when starting the scooter. I have arthritis in both my thumbs and this was a very important thing to me.

Vista Cruise:
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? Vista10

NEP
Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? Nep_cc10
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks Dennis. Glad it works well for you.
Ride safe............
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?   Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried this $3.50 cruise control?
Page 1 of 1