Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cruise control for the silverwing?

Go down 
+7
"Hi Yo"
model28a
ultralight
midlandchip
wingmann
MikeO
keithb
11 posters
AuthorMessage
keithb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-04-25

Cruise control for the  silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Hello All
I may be buying a Silverwing in the future. I am coming from a BMW R1200RT. Is there any kind of cruise control for the Silverwing? cheers
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Hello and welcome!

There are many throttle-locks but only one genuine motorcycle-specific cruise-control......and it ain't cheap:

http://www.motorcycle-cruise-control.com/

There are one or two other genuine cruise-control systems (not bike-specific) but all the reviews I've read have warnings about throttles sticking open and so on.

I've just ordered one of these:

http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

Do bear in mind that some throttle-locks won't fit on Silverwing heated grips.

HTH
Back to top Go down
keithb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks so much for responding MikeO. I have heard about the unit from Australia. I thought there may be a bike specific unit. The cruise control on my RT is my favorite accessory.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:49 pm

I think the Australian ones are bike-specific in that they come complete with the correct wiring harness and so on.

Honda don't make one but there are lots of accessories for the 'Wing.

Better by far are the ones manufactured by DennisB, an esteemed member of this forum.
His gear is second to none.
Back to top Go down
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 7:59 pm

I did buy the Australian cruise control and I did put it on my 2010 Silverwing ABS it was vary easy to install it works vary well it works just like using the cruise control in my car but it is not cheep $$$.$$ if you buy one tell them if you have ABS some of the newer Silverwings have a new speed sensor wire plug connector that is using wires for the speed sensor and the ABS all in one plug connector that the older Silverwings do not use.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 12:51 am

I put a Brakeaway throttle lock on my Swing and love it!

http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:59 pm

MikeO, back in April you said you had ordered one of the Go Cruise throttle controls. I like the looks of that control and especially the price.

You should have received the control by now. What can you tell me about it? What size did you order for your SilverWing and how has it worked out for you?

Garth Williamson
Midland, Michigan
Back to top Go down
ultralight
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ultralight

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 11:52 pm

I have a ThrottleMeister(TM) on my 2008 Silver Wing.  Even when it is snug and holding the grip, you can still adjust the throttle, albeit with more resistance.  To turn it off, you twist the TM knob off and then you will suddenly decelerate.

I use my TM sparingly and only on long straight stretches to give my hand a rest. It takes a conscience effort to engage the TM, almost good half-rotation for me, and then some fine-tuning/adjustments to get the speed/acceleration right.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 5:34 am

Hello Garth.

I ordered the 7/8" size.
I had to roll back the Grip Puppy a bit and as I said elsewhere, will probably trim it later although it doesn't seem to interfere with the gadget.
I haven't had a chance to test it properly but I've been practising on short trips and it's proved easy to operate.
I'm off to Brittany tomorrow - 300 miles on day 1 and many more miles on days 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 - so will give it a good workout and report back next week.
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 10:35 pm

MikeO, I see no way this Go Cruise throttle control can be mounted on the handle bar of my Silver Wing. It has to go around the rubber grip throttle control. The diameter of that grip is 1.53 inches and the Go Cruise throttle control device comes in 7/8 inch and 1 inch. I don't see how the 1 inch control is going to fit on the rubber grip throttle control. I have written an email to the company asking them what I should do.

You said you had to roll back the "grip puppy" to install the Go Cruise control. I'm not following you. Please explain in more detail what you did to make the 7/8" Go Cruise control work. I am assuming you somehow cut back the rubber grip throttle control so the Go Cruise would fit on the handle bar. Is that correct?

Garth Williamson
Midland, Michigan USA
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 10:49 pm

7/8" is the size of the handlebars,so if you order the ones for 7/8" they will open up over the grip and hold it tight.
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 11:26 pm

Okay, now I have it. I should order the 7/8 inch Go Cruise control because that is the size of the handle bars on my Silver Wing. However, I open up the Go Cruise control and fit it over the rubber grip throttle control - I'm not going to try to fit it to the handle bar. Got it. I will order the 7/8 inch Go Cruise control and give it a go. Thanks much Roger.

Garth Williamson
Midland, Michigan USA
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 3:40 am

Indeed - as Roger says, the 7/8" Go Cruise will fit on the standard Silverwing grip.
I have Grip Puppies so had to roll back the end nearest the switches on the RH bar to reveal the plastic grip underneath.
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Again, I need to say I now understand what I'm supposed to do.

I measured the diameter of my handle bars and came up with 0.89 inches which means I should order the small Go Cruise control for a 7/8th inch (0.88 inches) handle bar. The control should be placed on the rubber throttle grip, not on the handle bars.

At first I thought the control was supposed to go on the handle bars. That sort of made sense since we had to know the diameter of the handle bars in order to select the proper Go Cruise control. That confused me because there was no place for it to fit on the handle bars of my bike.

But after reading your posts, it is now obvious it can't go on the handle bars - it won't control the speed of the bike in that position. It has to go on the throttle grip.

Wow, am I ever feeling stupid. But with your help I know what to order and how to use it, and in the end I guess that's what is important.

Garth Williamson
Midland, Michigan USA
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Cruise control for the  silverwing? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Garth, It's so simple when the lightbulb comes on. Until then, "What the f????. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has to see things about ten times before I see it. The beauty of this forum is that there are pictures and explanations and noone minds helping others. Thanks to all you gurus that help us. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:33 am

My go cruise control arrived yesterday hope to try it today.
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:19 am

I have had my go cruise control for quite some time now and have had several chances to experiment with it. On long stretches of flat road it will hold my speed quite well for several minutes. But if the road has small hills I need to make frequent adjustments. And if you are going up and down moderate to big hills you can forget the cruise control. I also found that going over bumps in the road will cause the speed to drop while the control is set and I have had to make adjustments to maintain speed. But it's better than nothing and does allow me to take my hand off the throttle for a while. It was worth the money.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Have to keep in mind that these things are throttle locks, not cruise controls. They keep the throttle in one position, regardless of up/down hill. If you lose speed over a bump, try using the fat rubberband they included with the purchase.

I have a vista throttle lock on the Silverwing, and a Go Cruise on my Vespa. They each work equally well. Installation was another matter. It takes about one minute to install the Go Cruise, and I had to mess with the Vista for well over an hour to get it to work.

If I got another Silverwing today (or probably any cycle), I would definitely opt for the Go Cruise over the Vista.
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 pm

I forgot all about the rubber band. I'll put it on tomorrow and see how that works out for me in the future. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 12:54 pm

*bump*

Are you still around, midlandchip? How's it working, long-term?

Did you get the universal one, made from aluminium with an adjustment screw, or the plastic one without any adjustments?

Seems like the adjustable aluminum one is better...
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 2:50 pm

Smaug wrote:

Are you still around, midlandchip?

It would seem not bud, from his profile info' ....

"Last visit : Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:10 am"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control for the silverwing?   Cruise control for the  silverwing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cruise control for the silverwing?
Page 1 of 1