Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

V LIGHT COMING ON

Go down 
+19
Bash On!
captbuddha
gremlin
The Scootist
razorback
"Hi Yo"
exavid
model28a
Dale N.
tinman
JeffR
hotwings
DanB
GHM-PM
john grinsel
Meldrew
WingMan02
Cosmic_Jumper
GerardButlersHamster
23 posters
AuthorMessage
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-09-05

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 11:24 am

hi guys
havent been on for a while but need some advice, my 2010 silverwing has only got 3500 miles on it and recently the v light has started coming on when accelerating hard uphill i reset it each time but it will come on again within a few days and always after hard uphill acceleration any input much appreciated thanks
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Sounds to me as if the belt is slipping under that load.

How old is the belt that is on there? The belt light comes on at/every 16K miles. So if you are not the original owner and haven't changed the belt then it is possible that the previous owner changed the belt, reset the light and now it has reached that 16K mileage interval and the belt is slipping enough under load to trip the V light. HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 3:36 am

GerardButlersHamster wrote:
hi guys
havent been on for a while but need some advice, my 2010 silverwing has only got 3500 miles on it and recently the v light has started coming on when accelerating hard uphill i reset it each time but it will come on again within a few days and always after hard uphill acceleration any input much appreciated thanks

Gerard,
What changes did you do recently? This can happen when you change to lighter sliders, or weights.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 4:21 am

GerardButlersHamster wrote:
hi guys
havent been on for a while but need some advice, my 2010 silverwing has only got 3500 miles on it

You said it was a 2008 Silver Wing on your Intro post.  scratch Smile 
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 6:51 am

Doesn't the V lite come on each time you start?? Leave stuff stock and it should work ok.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:25 am

He says the scoot only has 3500 miles! I doubt if there has been a belt change on a 2010 with 3500 miles. Guess I would take the cover off and take a look-see.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 10:48 am

Oops! I misread that mileage to be 35-thousand, not the 35-hundred it is.

However given that actual mileage vs the age of the scoot it would indicate that it has spent of lot of time sitting. I've seen several belts deteriorate and eventually shred on SIlverwings which have sat unloved. Long periods of garage time cause hard spots where the pulleys compress the belt which leads to that deterioration, slipping, and premature failure.

So as Glenn suggested, you might want to take the cover off and take a look. But before that you also might want to have a belt on hand because you'll need it sooner or later.

Tim
Back to top Go down
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-09-05

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 4:26 pm

hi guys thanks for the replys im getting a new belt fitted in the next couple of days so should sort the problem, yes Meldrew well spotted, my first bike was a 2008 with 26000 miles on the clock but it died of crank failure and now i have a 2010
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Changed my belt today with OEM and 26g Dr Pulley sliders.Bike has 39k and just got recently (2003). Unknown history on belt so I replaced it. The v belt light has never come on until today after changing belt and sliders. Re-set v belt light several times the recommended way and it still comes on after getting up to highway speed. Is this normal after installing sliders?
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 pm

DanB wrote:
 Is this normal after installing sliders?
I hope not! My 26g sliders are in the mail!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 pm

I don't think so Dan. Did mine several months ago with 28g sliders and no problems with the V light...
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Dan,

What are your rpm's when your V-light comes on? Mine would come on when the rpm's were higher than normal for the speed. When I had my J Costa it would come on at times but that is because the rpm's were higher than normal. It is a rpm/mph ratio really. So take note of your rpm's and your speed and maybe you are running at higher rpm's. That could mean that maybe a slider might be sticking or even turned in the variator.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 11:48 pm

Jeff, when I got on the interstate I was freaking out because my rpm was 8500 at 75 mph. It settled down to 6200 rpm at 75mph and seemed to run a few hundred rpm lower than before. Acceleration seems much quicker than before but top end seems less.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 12:00 am

Dan,

If your rpm's are going up to 8500 you might want to open up the variator to check things out. When the variator plate was installed with the sliders in, maybe a slider turned on it side or even installed backwards. I would think that when you are going 75 mph that the rpm's should be around 5400-5500 rpm's. Maybe someone with 26 gram sliders can chime in with their rpm's at 75 mph. I have taken apart the variator many times and I have the feeling that a slider may have turned on its side or maybe even installed upside down.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 12:08 am

The same thing happen to me with my 24 gram sliders. The were not installed properly . The top has a grove line and sit flat to the centre .Dr pulley has a video on how to install them.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 1:05 am

I got my 08 SWing last March. It had been sitting for two years under a tarp. The belt was changed at 17,700 miles and it had just under 19,000 when I got it. I rode it around that summer but not on any long trips because I didn't really feel all that safe with a belt that had been sitting that long. The tires were weather cracked a bit so I figured the belt had some "Oldness" to it also. It looked great when I took it off and it's now my spare.

This winter I changed the belt and put in 26 Gram Dr. Sliders. To me it seems like it has a bit more on take off. At around 70 mph my rpms are about 5000 or so.

Replacing the belt and putting in the sliders was pretty easy once I got all the covers off. I used this video to replace the belt and put in the sliders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4Y2rEJdSw
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 8:01 am

Thanks for the video. According to the video if the sliders are improperly installed one will notice wicked fast acceleration and much lower top end speed. I noticed this yesterday on my ride home from where a friend of mine helped me with this install. I'm going to tear it back down myself and re-inspect the sliders. I hope I didn't harm them as I rode it 60 miles back home yesterday like this.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 10:13 pm

Hurray, the problem has been solved. We had the sliders improperly installed. My rpm at 80mph is 5800. The scooter runs liked a scaled cat. Rode it down the interstate at 100 and ran like a sewing machine. I think it is faster than my B650 now.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 10:17 pm

applause
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 10:37 pm

Dan,

Glad you were able to find the problem and it works great for you.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks Jeff and Roger. Decided to clear out the other two bikes as I now start preparing them for a photo shoot for CL. I was teetering on the sale of the 919 because that is one sweet bike and can easily satisfy the need for G forces to the extreme. Problem is, I may kill myself on it as it can do the quarter mile in 10.97 sec. at 125mph. I have to practice restraint on it as it likes to flex it's muscle. Even though I'm 65, I still act like a young kid on it and like to ride it fast. I'm afraid my hooliganism will catch up with me as I move to a zone of sanity on the SW.

Shoot, even the Swing is no slouch. When my buddy gets back from his ride up to Oklahoma, I'm going to setup a drag race with him for a quarter mile on a state highway and see how I fare; a 2013 Burgman 650 vs 2003 Honda Silverwing. I'm pretty sure my SW is faster than a B650 as I also own a 2007 B650.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 1:17 pm

The SWing is a bit quicker than many think and with the 26 gr sliders it is quicker than stock. Let us know how it fares against the B650.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 4:04 pm

DanB - I know what you mean. At 72 I can't trust myself not to play like I was 20 on my K1100. I reluctantly put it on CL last evening. Sad, I can't look the bike in the eye in my garage but I know if I want any hope to reach 80 that fine machine has to go. It was fun, when you drag a peg on a BMW brick you know it's a great feeling. Now if I can just cool it a bit in the twisties on my scooter. At least if the scooter goes down my leg and feet will be inside the fairing instead of outside.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Good to see some of the old timers still have a bit of the hooligan in us. I'm glad the scooters can give us a taste for speed or carving the twisties. You've no doubt forged a relationship with your Brick and it's hard to even say goodbye to a machine. I don't think it's as close as a dog though. So, if things get you down, just go out and get a puppy.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Well, my K1100 has a new home after only one day on Craigslist. The torture is the guy who bought it can't take it away for two weeks because he's on his way to Alaska. So I'll have to look at it for awhile longer but can't ride it because he already paid cash for it.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
V LIGHT COMING ON 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 6:12 am

exavid wrote:
Well, my K1100 has a new home after only one day on Craigslist. The torture is the guy who bought it can't take it away for two weeks because he's on his way to Alaska. So I'll have to look at it for awhile longer but can't ride it because he already paid cash for it.
    cheers    The real torture is he is on his way to Alaska and his beautiful new ride is in Oregon.    Smile Congratulations on your sale.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 10:21 am

Wow, that was fast and even faster is how fast this got off subject. You must have had a real keeper there to sell so fast. So far, I've had 2 responses on CL for my 919 and both are the CL scams from alleged servicemen who can't take delivery, will pay through PayPal and will have it shipped.
Back to top Go down
razorback
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
razorback

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-01-31

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 9:58 pm

Ok i read all your posts...... I changed my V belt and added sliders about 1,000 miles ago... V light is starting to coming on and reset it every few days.... according to my dealer i got the SW from, the light is only triggered by mileage, i dont think he is well informed.

and i cant find any clarification as to what does trigger the V light.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 11:08 pm

The V light can also be triggered by "perceived" (or actual) belt slip, i.e. when the ECU/Meter Panel "sees" the RPMs are higher than what they "should" be for a given rear wheel speed.

I had been using 28gm Dr Pulley sliders on my '03 S'Wing and could get the V light to come on if I really cranked on the throttle. If you are using lighter sliders and/or are accelerating aggressivly that could be the cause.

You've got a new belt, and assuming that the sliders are installed correctly, don't worry. Just be aware that when you do reset the light that that also resets the 16000 mile interval too. As mentioned earlier the belt is good for a lot more than the V light indicates. The V light is a yellow light, it's just Honda's way of saying, "caution" the bellt is approaching the wear limit. It's not a panic light. Reset it and forget it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 12:21 pm

I have 22g sliders and when I am travelling up a long slight incline the V light will sometimes come on. Apparently the sensor perceives that the rpms are too high for my speed. However, if I crank open the throttle so that I am accelerating up the incline, then the V light does not come on. Go figure...
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 3:37 pm

exavid wrote:
Now if I can just cool it a bit in the twisties on my scooter. At least if the scooter goes down my leg and feet will be inside the fairing instead of outside.

you are only too right there! When I recently got rammed by an old lady's car, it hit me right on the leg. Luckily I was wearing steel capped boots, tough long pants and was riding the SW; so I am just nursing a bruised leg instead of a badly broken one cheers
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 3:54 pm

My V light came on at 20 k kl I checked my belt at my regular oil change and was at 27 mm , but lately the light keep coming on every 200 miles or so ,and notice my rpm are higher at 100 klph.I was getting 4700 rpm with my 24 grams sliders and now 5k rpm and going 95 klph .With my 175 70 13 DS tire my drive pulley might be slipping a little more then before and using more gas .There is a 10 % diffrence in the odometer reading with this DS tire and will go back to a 155 70 13 DS when this one wares out.I ordered a new drive belt and will replace at my 100 k kl oil change. That will make 3 belt replacement in 100 k kl .All my old belts are locking good no cracks,but just under the ware limits.
Back to top Go down
captbuddha
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-06-04

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 2:21 pm

Maybe because they decide to "not" start every now & then like mine!

I have just less then 6000 miles on my 2012' FSC600A Silver Wing and starting three month's ago
(after driving all over town) it decided not to start at all when I was to leave my bank on Monday afternoon - - and in Greensboro, NC where I live) and I had to have my bike towed home vs a repair shop, because all Motorcycle repair shops are closed on Mondays - - - and seeing how I had a Honda Towing Service Plan I had to also had to wait another 7 days before I could get my bike towed "free" to a repair shop ! Of course, during the week I checked fuses, battery and wire connections; but after having it towed in (and having to seat there for a week "right after last snow" before the TECH could look at it) the TECH called me & said when he put the key in my bike started right up and that if it ran he could NOT know what was causing the problem! I discussed that when it would not start for me(or make a noise that it was trying to start) That the V-Matic warning V would stay on! The TECH's reply was that the V warning was coming on, but only for awhile then going off now.
So I went to the shop & picked up my bike, which ran fine for another 600 miles until I was out in the Country Side (at a garage sale) when the V-Matic warning light stayed on again & my bike would not start again. This time it was on a Saturday - - since I stopped riding on Mondays' since the TECH did not fix anything - - but it would not start at 2pm & by the time the tow truck reached me out in the country it was to late (3:45pm) to have it then towed to a repair shop(s) that close at 4 pm; Sooo back to my home it was towed again, and were it sat for another 7 days, then I had it towed to the Honda dealer (were I bought the bike) and wouldn't you know it * as soon as the bike came off the Tow Truck the Honda Tech put in the key & my bike started right up! You must remember, that over the 7 days leading up to this Second motorcycle repair shop visit _ I attempted to start my bike 2-3 times each day & the V-Matic V warning light came on- - - But once again, this Honda Tech also said that he could not know which Part was bad if my bike started each time he turned the key. He said that he could replace ALL the parts that may cause my bike to Not start; but that would cost me a lot of money. So; I road my Honda Silver Wing back to my home (this was 10 days ago) where it sits in my garage ( and it starts for me 3 times a day) but which I'm in fear of driving now anywhere that I'd have to Turn The Key Off & On again.
Can anyone help? ? ? ___---- I've ordered a Shop Repair Manual on 2012 & 2013' Honda Silver Wings; but I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me your advice.
I do not think its the ignition switch, because the dash & headlights dim when I turn the key. But I might be the kickstand, Left brake sensors (that have to be UP or pulled BaCK) for the bike to start - - - OR ? ? BELT ?
Thanks in advance. Capt. Buddha
Back to top Go down
captbuddha
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-06-04

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: V-matic Warning Light doesn't start , Then Starts for TECH   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 2:26 pm

I have just less then 6000 miles on my 2012' FSC600A Silver Wing and starting three month's ago
(after driving all over town) it decided not to start at all when I was to leave my bank on Monday afternoon - - and in Greensboro, NC where I live) and I had to have my bike towed home vs a repair shop, because all Motorcycle repair shops are closed on Mondays - - - and seeing how I had a Honda Towing Service Plan I had to also had to wait another 7 days before I could get my bike towed "free" to a repair shop ! Of course, during the week I checked fuses, battery and wire connections; but after having it towed in (and having to seat there for a week "right after last snow" before the TECH could look at it) the TECH called me & said when he put the key in my bike started right up and that if it ran he could NOT know what was causing the problem! I discussed that when it would not start for me(or make a noise that it was trying to start) That the V-Matic warning V would stay on! The TECH's reply was that the V warning was coming on, but only for awhile then going off now.
So I went to the shop & picked up my bike, which ran fine for another 600 miles until I was out in the Country Side (at a garage sale) when the V-Matic warning light stayed on again & my bike would not start again. This time it was on a Saturday - - since I stopped riding on Mondays' since the TECH did not fix anything - - but it would not start at 2pm & by the time the tow truck reached me out in the country it was to late (3:45pm) to have it then towed to a repair shop(s) that close at 4 pm; Sooo back to my home it was towed again, and were it sat for another 7 days, then I had it towed to the Honda dealer (were I bought the bike) and wouldn't you know it * as soon as the bike came off the Tow Truck the Honda Tech put in the key & my bike started right up! You must remember, that over the 7 days leading up to this Second motorcycle repair shop visit _ I attempted to start my bike 2-3 times each day & the V-Matic V warning light came on- - - But once again, this Honda Tech also said that he could not know which Part was bad if my bike started each time he turned the key. He said that he could replace ALL the parts that may cause my bike to Not start; but that would cost me a lot of money. So; I road my Honda Silver Wing back to my home (this was 10 days ago) where it sits in my garage ( and it starts for me 3 times a day) but which I'm in fear of driving now anywhere that I'd have to Turn The Key Off & On again.
Can anyone help? ? ? ___---- I've ordered a Shop Repair Manual on 2012 & 2013' Honda Silver Wings; but I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me your advice.
I do not think its the ignition switch, because the dash & headlights dim when I turn the key. But I might be the kickstand, Left brake sensors (that have to be UP or pulled BaCK) for the bike to start - - - OR ? ? BELT ?
Thanks in advance. Capt. Buddha
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Capt. Buddha, I no mechanic so can't help with the starting issue but would suggest you start a new thread on this, rather than the two posts in other threads you have. You could then edit the two posts to clear the content--just to avoid confusion. Good luck with your issue!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 4:11 pm

My take 4 yr old bike/battery. Battery may allow bike to run, even start once, then not start again, batteries sometime build up after standing-----6,000 miles, 4 yr old bike=not ridden enough in my book. I would replace battery---first having old one tested by Batteries Plus, then ride everyday
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 5:00 pm

John's summed it up; the battery in the blue Silverwing did exactly that, working healthily then appearing almost dead and unable to start the bike although the lights were lit.

Get a new one. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 6:47 pm

My vote is for a battery replacement as well. But, when it is running go for a hard fast ride but don't get a speeding ticket - just ride like you are looking for one.

Last summer I developed issues where my bike may or may not stall out after starting. Idle was really low at times. One of those now and then problems. Sometimes the bike started reluctantly. A couple of times I just ran the battery dry. Recharging generally helped but eventually even that didn't help. One recommendation, I think from John, was to ride it hard for a spell. This helped greatly at first. Later in the fall I replaced the battery. I haven't had the stalling problem or low isle problem since. And so far, it starts with attitude and conviction. So .... I vote for battery replacement .... even though the Honda shop here didn't think a new battery would help my problem.

Hope that helps ! Be sure to tell us about the solution that works for you.
Mike
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 8:04 pm

My V light was coming on intermittantly. I checked my battery connections and my neutral / ground connection was loose. Tightened it up. No more V-light coming on.

Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 8:18 am

I had a weak battery in mine. I kept it charged over the winter, but when I hooked it up it did not have the juice although the lights were all on. I tried boosting it, but screwed up and ended up blowing the main fuse. After replacing the fuse and battery the bike feels like new again; no hesitation anywhere, runs smooth too and fires up first time. Change your battery.
A good battery place may tell you exactly what's wrong. Mine was showing 12 volts, but had no cranking power. Apparently one of the cells was bad and draining quickly.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Mine was showing 12 v. as well Jay. The new battery worked wonders I didn't expect. Possibly a mistake, but I went with a less expensive one from Sask Battery. Someone suggested going for one with higher cranking amps than the OEM battery, and I did this. Glad I did. This one may last 4 years. I think the one it replaced was probably the original battery so 10 years was no shame for it.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

V LIGHT COMING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: V LIGHT COMING ON   V LIGHT COMING ON I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

V LIGHT COMING ON
Page 1 of 1