Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Parking Brake Problem

Go down 
+5
DaveR
Cosmic_Jumper
Waspie
tinman
Tom G
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-09-10

Parking Brake Problem Empty
PostSubject: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 6:36 am

Yesterday early morning (11/8/12) I pulled in to a McDonald's for a quick bite before work. As usual I set my parking brake before getting off. When I came out, started my SWing and released the parking brake, but nothing happened. It did NOT release, and the rear wheel was locked up tight.

Short story, I had it loaded, carefully as possible, onto a flat-bed tow truck and taken to my trusted mechanic. In unloading the SWing, I got on and carefully allowed it to roll backward off the tilted bed onto the driveway. When on solid ground, I found the rear wheel spun free.

My friend ultimately lubricated the parking brake mechanism (more complicated than you would think), but told me I should have tried "rocking" the scoot forward & backward as best I could which might have caused the brake to release. Dunno, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Anyone have a similar experience and/or other suggestions?

Tom G
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 8:45 am

I had the same problem at my coffee shop.I found that the problem was me.the secret to unlock is to pull very lightly .It can take 1 to3 tries to re for the brake to let go.If you pull to hard on the brake, it will keep on locking on you. It is a panic reflex to pull hard. Practice this at home and you will have no more problem. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 am

Had mine 'freeze' on me.

It was put down to lack of use for me. So as a rule I simple work the lever back and forth a few time when I first walk up to the bike. (Still don't use it much).
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 am

Even after adjusting (& rebuilding) the brake several times, it still happened to me enough times that I finally bodged together a short spring & bracket (a la' Burgman) which coaxes the caliper arm to the rear stop.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 11:04 am

Yes, this is common to the Silverwing. You just have to "learn" you don't have to set the park brake very hard to hold the Silverwing from moving. It should just be put on very easily and when released do it the same way. Very easily but slowly and definite if that makes sense. . .
It took me a few times to figure it out and it can be very frustrating if you let it get to you.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 4:47 pm

It happened to me recently.I disassembled the handbrake caliper and lubricate its piston by force some grease in to his "nest".I've also lubricate the sliders inside rubber seals.If you want to take caliper off in your hand without removing the muffler, after detaching it by fully releasing the adjuster and removing the two 12 mm bolts you can maneuever(with its cable) it through muffler and engine under right passengers footpeg.You'll have to take off the lever from the caliper to be able to remove the rubber seal which covers the pistons "nest".No trouble since.If your handbrake ever locks again in the future just push calipers lever backwards with a screwdriver
Back to top Go down
waterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 10:40 pm

The SilverWing has a parking brake?
I'll have to look for that the next time I uncover mine. This has been a great fall in north Texas. Lots of 70-85 degree sunny days. Great for riding.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 5:43 am

When I bought my SW, the parking brake didn't work at all. I.e. the pads didn't touch the disk when the brake was applied.

Since it's an easy job to correct this, I did it myself, just to find the brake would 'stick', like in Tom's case. Rocking the SW did indeed release the brake. So I decided to adjust it one more time, and arranged the lever so, that I have to pull the parking brake lever up three notches before the brake starts working.

Since then no more sticky parking brake, even that I don't use it a lot: maybe two or three time in 1200 Miles, since most of the time I use the centre stand to park the bike.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 6:48 am

I made it a habit to use the parking brake. Wind can roll it forward , or hit from behind,and parking on a down grade. I adjusted to 3 clicks and a light re lease and make sure that it rolls free before moving on. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 5:52 pm

My parking brake clearly needs adjusting, as when I pull the lever it comes up all the way ie through all possible "clicks", and although the brake is applied to a certain extent, I can still move the bike underneath me.

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me exactly what I need to do, where to do it, and what I need to do it to ?? Rolling Eyes Is it an easy job? What tools will be required?

Thank you

SteVe
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 7:30 pm

Its a very ease job to do ,loosen the jam nut then the canter adjusting bolt can be screw in or out .can be done by hand or twist with plier .the parking caliber is to the right side of the disc connected by the brake cable.screw the canter bolt till snug. try the hand brake and count the clicks, 3 or 4 should do.Adjust to suit,tighten the jam nut. Make sure the wheel spins freely. chickendance
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 4:22 am

For our Austrian friend: Wink

Parking Brake Problem 300w8de

Parking Brake Problem I1efsi
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 5:53 am

WOW! immediate replies in two languages! Now that's what I call service!

Thank you so much Tinman and Rodenbach! small moped

SteVe
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 6:32 am

@SteVe:
gerne gemacht Smile
one advise: don't over do it, make sure the wheel spins freely when the parking brake is off!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Problem   Parking Brake Problem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parking Brake Problem
Page 1 of 1