Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing speedometer question?

Go down 
+14
bikerboy
Opalsboy
hotwings
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
oldgoat
tinman
bigbird
old fart
jdeereanton
MikeO
"Hi Yo"
buddy19520
LTU-013
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-04-04

Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 6:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

I bought SW in Canada and brought to US. First what bothers me - speedo in canadian version is in KM. My question is:
Speedometer on SW is mechanical or electronic? If it is mechanical, I guess, I can install mechanical speedometer cable converter(it is small devise goes on top on the cable and converts cable rev rate from km/h to MPH, popular in UK)

If it is electronic, it maybe programable from km/h to MPH?
Does anybody know how to switch to MPH?

Thanks
Andrius

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks a lot
on that website it is same part number for both km/mph
and description also says : Honda 37110-MCT-L11 METER, COMBINATION --- METER, COMBINATION (MPH-KPH)

That's really interesting

I will call them and ask, how does it work
if they selling one part, but with option km-mph, they should know how to switch, the question will be if they want to share that info

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:50 am

I'm still looking for an on-line wiring diagram to help. All I've been able to locate is an ABS model diagram and I'm not sure whether it's from a Euro, US or JDM model SW.

Lots of extra wires on the ABS model to thoroughly frustrate matters.

What year SW is yours, and does it have ABS?

Also; the Honda Helix scooters had the ability to switch between Km's & Mph. Possibly a wiring diagram from a Helix might give a clue as to which wires are used to make the Mph/Km switch, given that Honda wiring color codes are pretty universal.
Back to top Go down
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:26 am

I have 2009 ABS version S-wing

I will ask guys from Russia if they have wiring diagram for metric SW
In Europe speedo sticker has only km/h numbers, but odometer LCD looks exactly the same

Back to top Go down
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 3:08 pm

As expected, no help from Honda USA
Scooter not in US data base
and they are not willing to talk at all
in short all conversation was like that:
"all you can do, you can call Honda Canada, that product was designed for Canada, have a nice day...."

Very very helpful customer service
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:41 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:49 pm

MPH OR KPH, does it really matter considering how inaccurate the speedo actually is!

My simple solution was to fit a cycle computer. Readout easily changed from miles to kilometres and vice-versa. This is the one I have fitted to both Silverwing and to my Burgman.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-Bc509-Function-Computer-Black/dp/B002NH1AXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335905248&sr=8-1

Only thing it hasn't got is a backlight but accurate to 0.1 kph

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm

I was looking at that option too
it will be cheap and simple way, some of bicycle computers have backlight and thermometer, that would be nice to have

One thing, as I mentioned in previous post, I think they record odometer readings when, you go to inspect scooter. I already registered my SW and had 7 days to do inspection, I'm trying to switch odometer before inspection

Now it has 10,000km if I would switch to miles it would be 6,000 miles, that would be big difference
When I was looking for used scooter, I realized, most people not familiar for how long scooter can last, and it can be problem in few years, when it will be time to upgrade
It is hard to sell scooter with more than 10,000,
15-20K it is big no no

I was reading on other forum, people in Europe have Silverwings
with more than 100,000km and still riding without any major problems

Thats why I'm in the rush, trying to find the way how to change km to miles, I still have my previous Piaggio BV 250, can ride that for a while

Link on the Powersportplus website is very promising
it is one part number, one assembly for both km/h and mph
Was trying to call them today, but after waiting half an hour on hold, had to go back to work
will try chat option on that website
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:45 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:07 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:34 pm

bigbird wrote:
OK, my dealer with the Swing in the showroom did not have a solution. I phoned another dealer who only does Powersports and not automobiles. He transferred me to his head tech. Finally someone who knew what a VSS and ECU meant! We had a technical discussion about it. He suggested that if the part #'s for the meter head were the same then either the ECU was different between the US and Canadian models, or it was user switchable through some kind of button manipulation. He will phone Honda Canada dealer tech support tomorrow and get back to me. Thank goodness for someone who seemed to actually care.
More to follow, hopefully.

Wow Terry, That's good news. Thanks for going the extra kilometer to find some answers for this dilemma.

With all the reviews I done of various wiring diagrams, I going to suggest that the "solution" is the terminal configuration of the Pink/Green (+) wire from the VSS to the 16 pin/12 pin connector on the Meter Panel.

Can't see that the issue lies in the ECU as the ECU only controls the ignition and injection, etc.

I'm certainly looking forward to your tech's reply.

Jeez, I sound as if it's been my problem all along.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:42 pm

x.

Back to top Go down
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Tim thanks a lot
but you only one, who has wiring diagrams and knows where to look Smile

Looks like Canadian dealers more friendly - thanks on checking that
My dealer had no clues, only one technician was trying to help and at least, was trying to find that info in Owners Manual

Honda USA maybe have some regulations or so, because I remember seing next to phone number (US VIN only) and he was acting accordingly, as soon as he realized my SW is from Canada, he was itching to end that conversation

Guys from Russia also trying to help, as much as possible

I'm glad we have place to share our problems and find people who are willing to share knowledge

I already was able to mod my backrest, fuel tank cap and under seat light
just reading posts how to do that

Thanks a lot for your contribution

Back to top Go down
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Tim, what should I ask Russian guys about pink/green(+) wire or connector
they may be able to check metric version?
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 3:58 am

Fit a cycle computer - at least you can get it to show an accurate figure. Mine cost £14 ($20 ish) and took an hour to fit.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 6:41 am

Just be careful what the maximum possible speed reading is ! Surprisingly it often the cheaper models that have a wider speed range !!
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 7:10 am

I think the Sigma BC509 maximum is 199 kph or mph. I have had it reading over 130 kph on a French autoroute. If the French police are reading this we were parked in an aire de repos, my mate was holding the scooter's front wheel off the ground and I was spinning the wheel - honest officer!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 8:36 am

LTU-013 wrote:
Tim, what should I ask Russian guys about pink/green(+) wire or connector they may be able to check metric version?

I don't know what questions you could ask those guys. Maybe they can identify which terminal that P/G wire attaches to on the 16pin / 12pin connector.

I'm just supposing that the P/G wire is involved. The P/G wire feeds + voltage (5 volts IIRC) to the VSP (Vehicle Speed Pulse) connection of the Meter Panel from the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) switch at the rear wheel; "X" number of voltage pulses per mile, or "Y" number of voltage pulses per kilometer. It just seems to follow, in my logic, that the P/G wire connection is in the mix.

All that being said, I still have no idea which terminal that P/G wire connects to on my own Meter Panel. So again we'd have to visit the wiring diagram 16P/12P terminal connections from US spec and Canadian spec scooters.
Back to top Go down
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:53 am

I already asked, if they have wiring diagram for EU version (I assume, because it is same KMH speedo, wiring should be the same)

So far no response, few guys responded with some suggestions: to put sticker or use marker, but not the guy who did the mod on his speedo (I posted link in one of the previous post - mod with voltmeter)

I was trying to use Live Chat option on the Powersportplus website, but it didn't work
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 12:46 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Heres a photo of mine which I took when the side cover was off a while ago. I've cropped and zoomed in to read the numbers. My bike is a UK version reading in miles, hope it helps.
Attachments
Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 AttachmentECU number.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(60 Kb) Downloaded 15 times
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Looks as if there are chips widely availible in the UK to convert Auto speedos from Km to Mph. Evidently the chip adjusts (converts) the VSS pulses to change the speedo to read out in Mph. I don't know whether or not the chip also effects the odo reading too. As I said these chips seem to be for cars, but here is a link.

http://www.iaperformance.com/index.php?cPath=44_45_2075_2269_2337

Try a google search for Kph to Mph converters
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 6:22 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:49 pm

bigbird wrote:
>>There is no "magic button" sequence or any other method they know of to change from km to miles. That's not to say it can't be done, but Honda Canada is not aware of any way to do it. Perhaps the engineers in Japan know of a way, but it's not at the top of Honda Canada's to do list.

I'll phone him back tomorrow and get any more details.

Terry,

Maybe your man can verify the part #'s for a 2009, Canadian market, ABS version Silverwing Meter Panel, Wire Harness and ECU. Those #'s will go a long way to resolving many of the questions here.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:13 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:40 pm

bigbird wrote:
Meter assembly combination : 37110-MCT-L12
Wire harness: 32100-MCT-L70
ECU (PGM-FI unit): 38770-MCT-L61

These are from the Canadian parts fiche.

Thanks for your help Terry

Those part #'s are exactly the same for the US spec 2009 ABS model.

We seem to be at a dead end here.

Tim
Back to top Go down
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Looks like it is no easy way to switch from km to miles, if it is ECU, that explains, why speedo assembly is the same number, just different sticker, speedo just reads VSS impulses
At that point, I'm not sure if it is worth to look for used speedo, highly possible US speedo, connected to my scooter will be showing KM

If is not in the factory service manuals on both sides of the border, most likely it is no way to do that without hacking firmware

As of the "magic" chip, I mentioned in one of the previous posts, in US it is called speedometer calibration device and known by name SpeedoDRD or other one SpeedoHealer it is used in cars and bikes to adjust speedo to correct values, but range is so wide it can be used as KMH to MPH converter
it tricks VSS signal to desired value, I assume it will affect both speedo and odometer too

I want to thank you all for the time and effort you spent trying to help me

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 9:35 am

So then if the Meter Panel, ECU & Wire Harness's are all the same then maybe the VSS unit is the difference. However if Km-specific VSS senders send different voltage pulses to the Meter Panel then Mph-specific VSS senders do. That would explain how the 'numbers' change but would not alter how the odometer display changes from "Kilometers" of "Miles".

Anybody know a JDM Honda engineer?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:12 am

x

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:24 am

I'm sure all the UK bikers that bought 'grey import' Japanese motorcycles in the 1990's didn't fret too much about KPH clocks, and they didn't have the luxury of internet forums to voice their concerns on either. Like Mike O said in a previous post, they simply stuck a clear plastic disc showing graduated MPH on top of the KPH speedo and then got on with riding the ass off them.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:30 am

x

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:55 am

Yeah...what Terry said.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:37 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3792
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 4:28 pm

I know it's irrelevant here but the X9 odometer could be changed from miles to kilometres and back at the pressing of two buttons on the dash - very handy.
Back to top Go down
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Complete mystery

Just out of curiosity, I went to Powersports website and was trying to order Meter assembly, it allowed me to put meter assembly to the cart, without asking about option KPH or MPH and it clearly says in description:
METER ASSY., COMBINATION (MPH-KPH)

Have no idea, if they would contact me before sending, to specify which version I need
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:44 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:39 am

Well if you are going to go the new (or eBay) Meter Panel route for this fix please keep me in mind for your original Meter Panel.

I'd sure like to have a go at it to see any differences between this dysfunctional Mph Meter Panel I'm playing with and a Km version.

Tim
Back to top Go down
LTU-013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Sure Tim,

Will be more than happy to send you my meter for surgery...

I would doubt, I will be getting new one, it is bit inconvenient to have km in miles country, but not $300+ inconvenient
Will be looking for used one

Some guy, few months ago got all SW after accident for $600 with 100 miles on odometer, too bad he already got rid of that scooter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing speedometer question?   Silverwing speedometer question? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing speedometer question?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2