Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New to me "03" silverwing another question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-18

New to me "03" silverwing another question Empty
PostSubject: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 8:51 pm

As some of you know I bought this bike about 10 days ago and found it had A repaired title and did not have actual mileage. I was not happy. I have been going through the bike and after some research through the State of Maine I find the bike has 20k miles and was paid off by Insurance company for a lot of plastic damage. I only have $1400 into it. I can not find any record of the belt being changed. This is the only thing left to check. After reading many posts I find there seems to be no reliable way to tell how old a belt might be. I really hate to replace it if it's not due. I know that the V lite works as it comes on at start up. I'm on my 4th tank of gas and have not found a single problem with the bike. Last owner is unreachable since I bought the bike from him. I'm sure he is feeling a little guilty about cheating me. I bought the bike with 3k on the odometer and find it has 20k through the state but that's all the Info they are allowed to give out. I thought I got really screwed ,but the bike seems perfect. Thanks Ernie
Back to top Go down
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

PostSubject: Re: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 3:15 pm

Hello all. I pulled the belt cover off today and was surprised that it was not as dirty as I expected. The belt that is on there has some yellow printing still somewhat visible and series of Ss crossway on the belt. I was hoping to figure out if this was an original belt. The belt appeared to be in good shape so I measured it's width and found it to be exactly 1 inch wide. This threw up a red flag because I read that useful life was down to 1.06. Sound right? Thanks Ernie
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Ernie,

It would be good probably to change the belt if you are unsure and it is measuring under the specs. I would hate to have belt break when on the road. It is hard to mess up a SWing since they seem to be bulletproof.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 6:04 pm

If your belt was good and you replaced it you have a belt you can trust, at the cost of a new belt. If you don't replace your belt you may have a good belt you can't trust, at the cost of having to worry if it's going to leave on the side of the road. Many people safely run their belts 20,000-24,000 miles and don't have a problem. I replace my belt at the 16,000 miles like Honda recommends, I may be wasting money but I don't worry that it's going to break. I pay $125 for 16,000 miles of worry free riding. I don't think I'm wasting money. Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

PostSubject: Re: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 6:07 pm

I'm sure your right ,I guess I just needed to hear it . Thanks, Ernie
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Ernie,

I have an 08 SWing with just over 19,000 miles on it. It had been sitting for 2 years under a tarp in FL. The paperwork shows that the belt had been changed at 17,700 miles. I trailered it home and after some TLC got it running. It's been running great but I plan on changing the belt this winter. What else have I got to do with our 10 1/2 months of winter, right?

I've had the covers off and the belt looks great so I will save it as a spare. No sense taking chances. I'm also going to put 26 gr. Dr. Sliders in it while it's apart. I've got to pull that pulley face off to change the belt anyway.

At least this way during MN's 2 1/2 months of summer I can feel confident that my SWing won't give me any troubles.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

PostSubject: Re: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Gee Dale looks like your in the same boat as I am with short summers. I keep asking why I live up here in Maine. People say, It's so beautiful up there. I say come up in the 10 month Winter. Not that I don't ski anymore, the is long and cold. And the wind doesn't blow, it sucks !! Hope that's ok to say. If not, Sorry. Ernie
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi Ernie,

I was a truck driver for about 36 years and am now retired. I don't miss driving in the winter and can now look out the window and think to myself how pretty a snow fall is. That is now that I don't have to go out in them anymore. The bad part is that it sure cuts down on SWing riding.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Enjoy the wing and it sounds like the cosmetic damage only is a big break. It could have been much worse. I would change the belt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to me "03" silverwing another question   New to me "03" silverwing another question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to me "03" silverwing another question
Page 1 of 1