Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 3:39 am

» Drive belt prices
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 2:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 6:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 4:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 1:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:01 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rlehs
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? Empty
PostSubject: Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare?   Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 7:49 pm

I am a newbie and think I might have found my first Silverwing. Before I get into the discussions of buying new or used, let’s assume I'm buying used and not getting into that debate. My question is, I have a scooter I am looking to potentially purchase and scooter overall looks in good shape but the rotors on the wheels are a bit rusty from... according to the current owner, sitting in a shed for two years and not being ridden. If these are rusty, are they safe to drive? Will the rust wear off with some use? Is this a maintenance nightmare I am getting into or maybe just a refinishing or something like that down the road. The scooter is at a reasonable price so I could stick a few dollars into it if it needs some basic maintenance, but if it needs big dollars then it wouldn’t be something this newbie would want to get into. It's a 2007 model year.

Any advice?
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? Picture070
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? Picture071
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? Picture072

Last edited by rlehs on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wanting to add photos)
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare?   Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Two years sitting is a long time, but not that long. Like bigbird said, plan on replacing the fluids. I had a Helix that sat outside along the garage for 3 years. I filled the tank the rest of the way up and put in a double dose of Sea Foam and by the time I refilled the tank again, it was running great.

New tires installed will cost you around $300 or so. I would look at the tires and look for any age checking or cracking in between the threads. If there is any there, those will get bigger fast once you start riding it on a daily basis. Tires shouldn't be used at all after 6 years. Your bike is approaching that age.

The battery sits on it's side in the battery box, so you have to buy a gel battery. I bought a replacement gel battery at Budget Battery for $70.

Good luck with getting the bike. If it is the bike you want, it really doesn't matter what you pay for it.... just get it and enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare?   Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Riehs, +1 on Bigbirds advice. He knows of what he speaks. BTW, posting the pics really helps people help you. Good job! I hope it works out for you. Ride safe.
Back to top Go down
rlehs
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare?   Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 am

You guys rock! Thanks for the advice. It's a long distance purchase and the owner is willing to take it into the local Honda dealer for an overall pre-purchase inspection and then I'll be making the deal unless they find something critical.

Thanks again to all of you. This forum is awesome!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare?   Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:58 am

You guys rock! Yes we do! This forum is awesome! Yes we are!!!
Now you rock and will be awesome with us.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare?   Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rusty ABS Braking Rotor - A Maintenance Nightmare?
Page 1 of 1