Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Handguards I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Handguards

Go down 
+20
phils a winger
wingmann
cornishtrailsloth
Winger61
The Bern
Mr Blobby
Cosmic_Jumper
Crustycrutch
Flyingpanman
Meldrew
Davefirestorm
HORNBLOWER
sonuvabug
russcarver
dspevack
jdeereanton
MarkB
jodders1
MikeO
hansbergerengland
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
hansbergerengland
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-01-23

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:26 pm

hi there

has anybody fitted handguards on their Wings?
i like to have handlebar Muffs during the winter to keep the hands dry and warm.
but without something solid the wind pushes them back and makes the brakelights go on and off. confusing for the chap behind Smile
and bytheway thanks for all the very helpful pictorials. great!!
JeffR you deserve a medal.....thank you
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 am

Greetings from an ex-pat!
I fitted handguards to my Silverwing for exactly the same reason - the muffs pressed on the brake-levers at speed.
I can't remember exactly which ones I bought and all the information is on my PC which is presently 2000 miles away.
I'll find it all when I get home later in the week although it's probably in a thread here - Modifications, I expect.
I'll try and look later but the sun's come out at last and I want to make the most of it; been rather cloudy and windy until now (the weather, that is!)
I did have a thought, though: my guards are in two pieces - the flat steel bar which bolts under the wing-mirror stalk and the clear plastic shield....which bolts on to the bar.
I wondered if for the winter I'd take off the plastic and put on the muffs with the thought the brackets would hold the muffs off the levers.
Not tried it yet as it's not been that cold in Belgium. I think it will be when we get home, though.
BTW, I had to get the guards from the States and had to shorten one bar at the mirror end; not difficult as apart from length the bars are mirror-images so it was just a case of putting them back-to-back in the vice, sawing off the bit that's too long and using the hole in the correct one as a guide for drilling a new hole.
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 pm

hello hansbergerengland
i have put a set of used acerbis duel street handguards i got off ebay on my silverwing but had to make 2 small brackets attached to mirror fixings to stop them hitting the honda screen on full steering lock they work well my oxford heated grips also help keep hands warm pics of my handguards are in my picture album(jodders1) i have tried the oxford muffs but did not like them so i carry a spare pair of gloves for when it rains to swop if gloves get very wet
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 pm

I've been chatting with the folks at Barkbusters to see if they had anything that be fitted to the swing. I sent them pics of my handlebars sans tupperware and they suggested a Storm kit to try. I just received it recently - haven't tried installing it yet. If I get it on successfully, I'll update my avatar with it.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:11 am

Well, I've installed the brackets on the handlebars to which the aluminum backbone (frame) of the Storm guards will attach...but I've had to cut about an inch on either side of the tupperware top piece to show for the 3mm clamps. On the left side, I had to move the brake/brake fluid unit inward about an inch and installed the bracket between that and the turn signal/horn unit but on the right side no adjustments were needed - the bracket fits onto the end of the handlebar just prior to it's downward curve. (But that part is covered by the tupperware, so once I installed the bracket,I saw I had to trim the plastic before I could reinstall it.)

However, I ran into real difficulty with the bar end section. The handguard kit comes with hardware (including replacement bar end weights) to be inserted into the handlebar. Everything is secured by the supplied 8mm 3" bolts.

But I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the guts of the stock handlebar inserts. I've browsed the topics in the maintenance section but if it's there, I missed it. Can anyone help me out?
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 4:04 am

hi MarKB
I don't think you will get the inner bit out of the handlebars as i tried everything to get them out my conclusion was they must be welded in i ended up using a longer 6mm bolt with spacer nuts washers and spring/lock washers and the original bar end weight to fix the handguard on and as my handguards are fixed at both ends they don't move hope you get them on
jodders1
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 1:20 pm

I posted pictures in my albumn showing the BarkBuster Storm (BHG31 kit) handguards. Well, the rightside anyway. I have only the backbone extender installed on the leftside. I buggered up the handlebar innards on the leftside trying to tap it to the supplied 8mm bolt. The titanium tap got completely jammed after I had drilled out the slot. There was no way I could get it out - and I couldn't ride the scoot with the tap stem jutting out. So I ended up sawing it flush with the handlebar, hoping I could bore it out later. However, Home Depot doesn't have a bit strong enough for the job. I bought a set of Rigid Cobalt bits, supposedly suitable for steel, but after an hour of heavy drilling I barely went 1/4". (sigh!) At least I can ride it now. I'll have to take it to my mechanic to see what, if anything, he can do.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm

p.s. re the leftside backbone extender...I managed to move it to the farside of the brake unit, right next to the trimmed topcover. Now it is in the correct position to connect to the backbone, if my mechanic can ever get it installed on the end of the handlebar.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Well, my mechanic was sympathetic enough - but, sadly, there was nothing he could do to clean out the handlebar. (Why am I not surprised?) So he's ordering me a new handlebar. I asked if Honda had one which was hollow, since the Barkbuster kit came with replacement bar end weights and 8mm internals. He wasn't sure but said he'd check. (I'm guessing I'll end up with the same OEM 6mm internals on the new bar. We'll see.)
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:00 am

Lost in an alternate thread: (Read all the way to the bottom)

more.isotta.screens wrote:
You can find here Isotta's latest products, Pair of Hand protector full attack for SILVER WING SW-T 400 (09')

Handguards Is_PM18_b

Go to www.euronetbike.net and search for SILVER WING SW-T 400-600 vers.2009, these codes:
PM18 - Set of hand protectors

PM17 - only the right side hand protector

PM16 - only the left side hand protector

Compared to traditional windshields with builtin handguards (which have the dual disadvantage of breaking at the slightest impact and barely protecting the hands), Isotta handguards, being separate from the windshield, offer real
and complete protection against wind and water. Furthermore, in the case of impact damage, it is also possible to change just the handguard instead of the entire sheet, with significant cost advantages.

If you need any information please drop us an email.

Erjon Galanxhi
--
Euroe-com Trading GmbH
Josef Maderspergergasse 2
2353 Guntramsdorf, Austria

Tel: +43-2236-205559
Fax: +43-2236-864650
E-mail: customer@euronetbike.net

I have had a couple of e-mails back and forth with Hr. Erjon Galanxhi and based only on our written communication I believe these hand-guards will work on the FSC/FJS model bikes. (INSERT standard lawyer disclaimer here - disavowing any responsibility for someone else taking a risk without further proof.) I may order a set within the next few months and if I do I'll give them a try and respond back.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:10 am

The one thing to be concerned about with handguards is
the interference with over sized windscreens.
Anything wider than stock windscreens hand guards will hit in a turn.
The result is an enlarged minimum turning radius.

Dan

Last edited by dspevack on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:51 am

dspevack wrote:
The one thing to be concerned about with handguards is
the interference with over sized windscreens.
Anything wider than stock windscreens hand guards will hit in a turn.
The result is an enlarged minimum turning radius.
True dat! Cool

And Isotta's own literature points this out.

Will not be a concern for me as we have stock wind screens on both bikes.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 5:56 pm

My handguards press against the Airflow on full lock but as I've never reached full lock 'on the move' it hasn't proved a problem.
The screen 'gives' a bit, anyway.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 4:03 pm

I held off on buying the GIVI Airflow (cancelled my order, actually) because my new Barkbuster Storm handguards would definitely collide with that oversized screen and interfere with both the turning radius and the handlebar lock. I guess it just goes to show that "you can't have everything".
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-04-14

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Just installed the Isotta PM18's on my 2009 silverwing. Was super easy. Came with Italian instructions but I found English at only one link (hope it never goes away). It was the same site (from above) that I bought them. Came to around $111 with shipping.

http://www.euronetbike.net/graphics/isotta/added_desc/PM18.pdf

The one on the right just barely touches the stock wind screen when the handlebars are fully rotated.

They just cover the end of the brake levers (plus maybe another inch). Should definitely help to keep my hands warm this winter!

--Russ
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 3:54 am

Are they the ones for the SW-T400 - 600?
My laptop doesn't recognize the link.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 10:18 am

MarkB wrote:
I held off on buying the GIVI Airflow (cancelled my order, actually) because my new Barkbuster Storm handguards  would definitely collide with that oversized screen and interfere with both the turning radius and the handlebar lock.  I guess it just goes to show that "you can't have everything".

Actually there is a fix to having both an oversized windscreen and the hand guards. You install both, and when moving to full lock, mark the point where the hand guards touch the windscreen. You then remove the windscreen and cut a "scallop" out of the windscreen (using a jig saw) to accommodate the hand guards "nesting" within the windscreen.

A little fiddling to get the scallop right and somewhat nerve wracking if you've never cut into a windscreen before. (it's actually not as bad as people imagine).

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 10:54 am

If you really want to go first class with handguards, look at the upper left hand corner.

Handguards Dash_t10

I had a bar created from the original stalk that attached to the Mirror location.
The bar is square.  It has holes drilled into the top of it along its length.
The hand guard is attached to a hollow square bar that slides over the stalk.
I had a spring loaded  pin welded to top of the hollow bar pointing downward.
The pin goes into the holes in the stalk.
This way I could lift the pin and adjust how far in or out I wanted the hand guard,
and the pin would spring into the nearest hole when it was lined up.

For the most part, I used one position when riding, which was close in and protected my hands,
and another position which moved the guard farther out and out of the way,
so it wouldn't interfere with the extra width of my clearview XL windshield during tight turns.
This was the largest and widest windscreen available for the Silverwing.
I believe clearview still makes it.

This was a one-off design, made many years ago when I was modding for fun.
The original shields were from a company called "National"
They were made for another bike, and someone in the community at the time tried them
and shared the part number.  
I have no idea where to get those spring loaded pins.
For a creative person it could be a fun build.
I have no other part information and cannot take more pictures since that Silverwing is gone.

Dan
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 1:04 pm

Yes, they are the ones for the SW T400. They fit great! I'll be testing them out here in Colorado on Monday.

--Russ
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2016 3:42 am

Hi Mike I did a bit ago searching and found this link.
http://www.euronetbike.net/isotta/scooters/honda-en/silverwing400-600/

I've been wondering about them but as I have the adjustable screen will probably stick with the tocano  urbano muffs I got last year. They are rigid and unlike others mentioned on here don't compress against the brake levers. On full lock they just touch the ears on the screen, but don't make it flex.
Being Italian they look much more stylish than most too!
http://www.tucanourbano.com/gb/streamlined-neoprene-handgrip-covers.html

I also bought one of these aprons and it has proved to be one of the most useful bits of kit I have ever bought.
http://www.tucanourbano.com/gb/termoscudr-9058.html
I use my scooter for work around town in Birmingham uk and need to be dressed reasonably smartly for my work in schools, I tend to visit about four different ones a day so in wet weather it is a pain in the backside getting into and out of wet gear. These solve all of that I wear a smart jacket / coat with built in armour strong but not too heavy boots and  this keeps me dry. It also covers the whole seat so I don't have to sit on a wet seat. They have air bags in the sides to keep them rigid and to stop them flapping about.
I've had one for about a year and I bought one for my partner on her little s-wing. We often park in the city centre and were mobbed by all the delivery scooter riders to find out what they were. Now they are a common sight here.
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2016 11:23 am

I checked the PM18 fit against steering lock yesterday. They don't touch the wind screen at full steering lock, but can if you push them further when it is not locked.

--Russ
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2016 4:24 am

I used a Tucano apron/cover on my Piaggio Hexagon,looks horrendous in use lol but it is brilliant for keeping you dry and warm while riding,I may get one for the SW and certainly get the handlebar muffs
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2016 5:58 am

I fitted a set of neoprene handlebar muffs before setting off from home to stay with friends in Scotland at the weekend. They go on in less than a minute and were on for the sole purpose of the cold and wind chill riding over the Pennines. They work fine with the Airflow and they don't press on anything, but I am going to modify them a bit to to suit my needs. They weren't essential even though it was pretty cold up there as I could have worn the winter gloves I had stored under the seat, or the waterproof 1x3 finger rain gloves I keep with my wet weather kit. I didn't use the heated grips either.

I do have a set of Barkbuster Blizzard handguards that I've yet to fit because the mirror extenders get in the way. Or simply wear my Hein Gericke Pathan lobster claw mitts with or without the matching lobster claw neoprene over mitts.

Years ago I bought an expensive fur lined Bagster apron for my Helix and didn't like it at all. I can see the point of them if you're commuting to an office somewhere and have to be smartly dressed and they keep the seat dry when parked up too. I've never wanted another, zipping the thermal lining into the pants of all weather riding suit does pretty much the same job, so does a good quality two-piece under suit.

I wore my unlined Klim Overland to go up to Scotland with just a Olympia hi-vis neon red vest over it, and a two-piece Sympatex top and long johns under the Overland suit and didn't need to layer up any more.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2016 7:08 am

Thanks for the confirmation, chaps. Smile
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2016 10:50 am

Took the PM18's for a spin on my daily commute this morning. Temp was 42 F (5.5C) for a 30 minute drive at about 80mph (129kph). Compared to the same commute two weeks ago, I never felt a chill in my fingertips at all! This is with all-weather gloves both times. Can't wait to see the results when the temps get into the lower 30sF (0C).

--Russ
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Just done a load of work on my Swing. I got some handguards off ebay uk quite cheap. They do different colours and I chose the smoke as I plan on getting the Honda leg area deflectors.

Here's a pic of the handguards and you'll see other pics of work I've just done in my personal album on this site.

Handguards Dsc01114
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 11:58 pm

Have you got a link to those handguards Flyingpanman?
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 2:49 am

No link to the original seller, but viewing "similar items" brought these up on sale in UK
Smoke universal handguards

Only £12 and a little bending of the fixing bracket needed. I also got some longer handlebar fixing bolts IIRC, so I could keep the original weights. They come from the East, so searching for universal handguards should bring them up on any ebay site and in different colours.

I have a Givi Airflow screen and on full lock the handguards make contact and push the "ears" forward about a 1/8" - 1/4". The screen gives a little and I don't think it will break it but I just take care when pushing the bike around or manoeuvring.
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:53 am

Cheers. Have ordered some!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Here is a link to US eBay for the same item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Brush-Bar-Hand-Guards-Handguard-For-7-8-Universal-handlebar-Motorcycle-Bike-/252448855369?hash=item3ac71fd549:g:GmgAAOSwbYZXef6w&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 2:53 pm

HiYa

Just like the Flyingpanman, I also bought the same guards and fitted them.
Cheap from fleebay and so simple to fit. No fettling just a couple of longer machine screws and a small spacer.
Handguards Img_2012
Handguards Img_2010
Handguards Img_2011

Job done

Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Flyingpanman wrote:
I plan on getting the Honda leg area deflectors.

Try doing an eblag search for .... 08R82-MCT-800 .... you may get lucky & fall on some new old stock, got mine for £57.45 including delivery
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 4:53 pm

The Bern wrote:
Flyingpanman wrote:
I plan on getting the Honda leg area deflectors.

Try doing an eblag search for .... 08R82-MCT-800 .... you may get lucky & fall on some new old stock, got mine for £57.45 including  delivery

Bournemouth Honda - seems a reasonable price, but you might need to be quick - ordered for customer, not collected.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-SIDE-VISOR-FOR-SILVERINGS-/262098586958?hash=item3d064b0d4e:g:tj4AAOSwT5tWIib0
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks to The Bern and especially Winger61.

I bought those deflectors from Bournemouth Honda. Dobles were £117 inc. postage. I got them for £79.99

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 4:37 am

As I suggested recently in the current thread about Wind Deflectors.
This thread is entitled: Handguards.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 4:45 am

MikeO wrote:
As I suggested recently in the current thread about Wind Deflectors.
This thread is entitled: Handguards.

Sorry, I got 'deflected' from my handguards post.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 1:56 am

This thread on the Singapore website has details on how to do handguards:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/325894-lt-Info-gt-Silverwing-400cc-600cc-Tech-Corner?p=7529595&viewfull=1#post7529595
Back to top Go down
cornishtrailsloth
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-10-24

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Flyingpanman wrote:
No link to the original seller, but viewing "similar items" brought these up on sale in UK
Smoke universal handguards

Thanks FPM - have ordered some, hopefully the standard screen shouldn't argue with them.
Back to top Go down
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Some hand guards will fit with heat gun   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 8:40 pm

I mounted a set of hand guards that look like the Isotta's clear hand guards onto my silverwing and I turned to sharp and the hand guard hit my airflow windshield and broke the ear off one side of the airflow windshield so I put a new airflow windshield on and with hand guards on the silverwing I heated the windshield on in side and out side where I needed to bend the windshield with a hot air gun just till it moves easy just heat the spot you need to move and wear gloves DO NOT use pliers or vise grips. I turned handle bars till the hand guard touched the windshield and with my gloved hand I bent the side of the windshield till the handle bar touches the lock with out the hand guard and windshield touching hold the windshield in that spot till it cools then I re heated windshield a few more times to re mold the windshield around the shape of the hand guard when done do the same for the other side . Take your time keep hot air gun moving do not just hold heat in one spot heat in side and out side . Heat adjust cool slowly then repeat on next spots till you are happy with fit .
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 12:41 pm

After trying a pair of OJ neoprene handlebar muffs for a few rides, and even though they take less than a minute each to fit, cut down on wind chill, and there's no danger of anything hitting the sides of the Airflow on full lock, I decided they're not my thing. Especially using my thumbs inside the muffs to operate switches outside on the handlebars through the neoprene like a puppet.  Neutral

So out came the set of Barkbuster Blizzard fabric handguards I bought a long time ago. I had a play about with them when they arrived and originally thought the mirror extenders would get in the way, they don't.

The Blizzards are a more rigid fabric handguard and have a fitted metal stiffener strip to shape them, it's also used to clamp the handguard onto the bar ends using a spacer and a longer bolts from the variety in the fitting kit. The OE handlebar weight goes back on too.

I can get a heavy gloved hand in there easily and operate all the switches and levers inside. There's no fouling of brake levers, and on full lock the handguard fabric just softly touches the Airflow side wings.

Old Jack Frost was nipping at my gloved finger tips last time I was out riding without the neoprene muffs, I completely forgot I could have switched on the heated grips. So I'll have to see how the Blizzards cut down on wind chill wearing gloves and lobster claw mitts, with and without the heated grips switched on.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Pair i fitted are same as the ones fitted by Mr Blobby, dont think i'll get much chance to test them as I still need to get a new front wheel and at low speeds it is unstable. Few chances ive had it certainly is an improvement.
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-09-16

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2016 4:58 pm

Mr Blobby wrote:
HiYa

Just like the Flyingpanman, I also bought the same guards and fitted them.
Cheap from fleebay and so simple to fit. No fettling just a couple of longer machine screws and a small spacer.
Handguards Img_2012
Handguards Img_2010
Handguards Img_2011

Job done

Laughing Laughing

Hi Mr Blobby,
Looks like a good job. Can you tell me, please, where did you get the spacers and screws, and how much were they? And what length are the screws?

Thanks very much.

Jack.

Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2016 7:14 am

Hiya

Not sure if you got my reply or not, but here it is again. I originally made the spacers from brass but ended up using the hard rubber ends found on walking sticks, cut to size and perfect fit. The bolts are the same length as the stock ones plus the spacer dimension which in my case was about 10mm.
Cost was under £3 for the lot and located at my local hardware shop.
Have been using the guards along with heated grips, brilliant so far.

Hope the info helps

Mr Blobby
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Mr B,
Thanks for the info, most helpful In your pictures, though, it looks like brass spacers - they look really good, are they from your hardware store? But you say you have used walking stick ferrules, why did you change?

Cheers. Jack.
Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Hiya

The brass spacers were just a few bits I had lying about.

The hard rubber spacers have worked best as they are flexible and fit the bar ends better. I would recommend using the same.

Mr Blobby
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks, Blobbers. Jack.

Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 9:38 am

Hi all.  I installed handguards and thanks to Mr Blobby's top tip tip, they went on quite easily and have withstood a long journey to cold Wales and back.  Using walking stick ferrules means there is some flexibility so you can tighten the bolt more or less according to need.  I bought 2 from ebay, about £1 each, trimmed them, something I found was facilitated by putting them on the end of a broom so I had a hard and stable surface against which to cut; they needed a little fettling to get the cut flat and even, I used a fresh Stanley blade and some sand paper on a flat surface.  I also bevelled the inner edge of the cut so it would sit better against the convex surface of the handlebar end.  I had to use a 70mm bolt as an 80mm was too long and stopped well before the spacers, so it wouldn't go any tighter.  I don't know what's in the handlebar stopping it, but anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the finished job.

Handguards Img_0218
Handguards Img_0216
Handguards Img_0217

They do foul the screen on max turn, but I can live with that.  

Cheers chaps!
Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Hiya.

Glad the protectors have worked out OK for you. They look good

I definitely have found the rubber spacers to be the best. As you say, a little bit of flexibility.

No problem, happy to help    thumbs up

Mr Blobby
Back to top Go down
shyted
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2016-07-03

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2017 8:39 pm

When I bought my Swing it had hand guards fitted. Smile Handguards 20170113
Handguards 20170112
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 11:42 am

They look pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Handguards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handguards   Handguards I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handguards
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next