Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

silverwing

Go down 
+4
erj145
JeffR_
"Hi Yo"
billt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
billt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-03-28

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 2:54 am

Crying or Very sad Tough decision have decided to sell the silverwing. Can i thank you, for all the help on this forum since owning the best maxi scooter.Have decided to give the 600 yamaha diversion a go. Just like to add this has been by a country mile the best forum.Best wishes ride safe........ bill t motorcycle
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
silverwing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 3:36 am

bill t, As we say in the south; "Glad you came and set a spell. Y'alll come back, ya hear." Seriously, let us know about your new ride. I looked it up on the European division of Yamaha and it looks good. My first new and "big' bike was a 1972 Yamaha 650. I loved it. Wonder what happened to it? Does anybody remember the Honda ad that said: "Honda, follow the leader" and then Yamaha countered with: "Yamaha, Don't follow anyone".
Back to top Go down
billt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-03-28

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: yamaha diversion   silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 2:09 pm

took delivery 14/1/2012 i have done 100mls from new so all tight at the moment.Riding position is good no aches or pains.Pulls smooth through the gears and is very quiet.very very easy to handle no nasty surprises. Seat a little on the thin side could poss get a numb rear after a few hundred miles. Good all rounder. commute fun on the twistys will do all well. No storage under the seat so top box a must have.Screen does a good job with wind deflection, no buffeting around head or chest. All in all a very good machine with a good price tag best wishes billt..... motorcycle
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Bill,

congrats on your new bike and glad you found this forum fun and helpful. Give us a review sometime and maybe a comparision between the 2 bikes. Make sure you ride safe and have fun. Have you found a site for the Yamaha Diversion yet? Hopefully you will find a forum as fun and helpful as this one. Is it possible to post a pic too? We don't get that bike over here. I know we had a member here once.."Bernardo"... that had a SWing and a 900 Diversion,. and he really enjoyed the power and smoothness of it. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
erj145
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-01-29

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 am

Due to age, painful joints, and inflexibility, I have concluded that a scooter is a solution to the possibility of dropping my Gold Wing and the risk of injury. I have net researched both the Burgman 650 and the FSC600, and owners are lavish in their praise for each.

I do my own maintenance, so ease of service and complexity are major concerns. This is what turned me away from the Burgman. While reliability of this machine is very good, catastrophic failures of drive line components are spectacular and expensive. Enough so that Suzuki is redesigning the transmission for 2013. Owner surveys claim that the Burgman is easier for DIY maintenance than the SW. Looking at the procedures for each, I would opt for the SW.

The cost of acquisition, tires, and other components are definitely in favor of the SW. I have located two 2009 leftover FSC600's so the bargaining begins.

I am sure others on this site have gone through this same experience and rationale. I would appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 am

I've owned two B650's and loved both. I wouldn't shy away from one due to thoughts that one day the internal belt will go. Pay the few extra $$ for extended warranty and you're covered. Its much more sophisicated than the SW, smoother drive train, incredible power. Oil changes are a bit more troublesome in that you also have a transmission to change also. But its a heavy critter to move around when you reach my age and physical limitations. Good seat...wide and flat. More leg room if you've long legs and a long distance rider.

Nevertheless, you see what I'm riding now; a Silverwing. Its a slightly retro look, feel, and easier to handle for this old guy than the B650, being nearly a 100lb lighter (i think). At least if feels much lighter. Oil changes are incredibly simple and you can used any brand auto oil of the right weight; not limited to the more expensive "motorcyle oil" that the B650 calls for. Overall, its more like the B400 but with more power. Butt pad easy to mod for comfortable back rest. Simple CVT system easy to do maint if needed. Front forks not very responsive so it rides harder...doesn't take the road ripples like the B650, but this is someting you get used to.

I think you'll be happy with your decision.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:44 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 3:20 pm

My BMW, Norton, Moto Guzzi, Yamaha's, Hondas, and Suzukis, never knew what a Jaso/Ma was and run very well on Castro 10w-40 off the shelf. And then we bought into the speciality oils promoted by cycle industry, and the idea that "wet clutches" had to have something different. Maybe so, but the Silverwing ain't got no wet clutch. A motor is a motor. I know of an '04 with well over 200,000 miles on common oil, changed every 3K, with no motor issues. And a B650 with wet clutch, also with over 200,000 miles with same common auto oil...no motor issues. Use whatever makes you feel good. The motor won't give a darn.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 4:56 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:58 am

I'm with Honda and Bigbird on this one, do not mind spending a little extra on oil, for better engine protection. Ride Safe.

Robert
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 1:51 pm

In UK they specifiy Motorcycle oil. IE: Motorcycle oil, as opposed to general engine oil for 4stroke engines. People have thier own opinions on which oil to use. Personally i go for sem-synthetic 10/40's Motorcycle oil. Works for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: silverwing   silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

silverwing
Page 1 of 1