Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Embarrassing lesson learned.

Go down 
+8
Meldrew
robert
MikeO
Old Limey
tankyuong
bigbird
RickV
Waspie
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Embarrassing lesson learned. Empty
PostSubject: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 10:25 am

Finished my long night shift this morning, 12 hours, no sleep in the preceding day either so I am fairly tired. I walk out to the Silver Wing, looking forward to my commute home and bed.

'Wing' is parked in total and complete darkness at the rear of the building I work in so everything is done by feel and touch. Pull in the left brake lever, press the starter - nothing. Lights dim but no start. Did this several times before giving up. Helmet off, gloves off and retire into the office to consider my actions.

Usual experts tell me of their diagnosis, flat battery, loose wire etc. All I want to do is get home and bed 24 plus hours without sleep I am not at my best. Out Honda Assist card and a phone call the Rescue Centre for assistance. Next call to my wife to appraise he I wont be home at usual time.

As promised the Rescue chap arrived on time, he tries to start with same results as me, next he checks battery strength, that's ok too! I am distracted by one of my work colleagues when I hear the sound of a Silver Wing engine. Great - I'll be home within the hour.

What was the problem. As if you haven't already guessed.

Yes! I never checked the kill switch! You would have needed ear protection for the next few minutes. ~Did I swear - just a little.

However! I am quite anal about my procedures and I always put my switches back to there proper place when leaving the bike and car. I distinctly remember using the kill switch to shut down last night, by the same token I also remember putting the kill switch back to it's normal setting.

Now where my 'Wing' is parked up is dark, but it is also the location my smoking buddies use for their hourly intake of nicotine. I can only assume, hate assumptions, that one of them sat on the bike and inadvertently knocked the kill switch.

A big lesson learned. When tired take more time in thinking through simple problems and check ALL switches.

Now that admission written from some one who has recently been accused of being perfect!!

Hope some one as well as me may learn from my simple error. I am grateful it wasn't anything more serious if I am honest with myself.

Hope you all have a better day than the one I have started!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 10:51 am

I would suggest that most of us have experienced a moment of panic when the gear is back on and the scoot doesn't start - especially when the group you are with is disappearing down the road affraid - the rush of relief when the kill switch was the problem. In my case I had just picked up my slightly used Aprilia Scarabeo and it the prior two weeks 2 fuses had blown on my driveway and then on the first group ride no fire!!! Been lucky in that no further blown fuses in the last 3 years but a few resets on the kill switch have been required. There is a bit of humor now looking back but not at the time.

Thanks for sharing Smile

Rick V
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:01 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Better the switch than kickstand culprit
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 1:55 pm

I once heard some idiot Bikers saying how they thought it was really funny to go along a row of parked bikes and turn all the kill switches on. I wasn't near enough to say anything but, i guess we will never be free of idiots like these.It would have been a real problem for me now as, i just put Handlebar Muffs on for the coming colder weather. Sad
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Better the switch than kickstand culprit

I've done both. Embarassed

Also managed to flick the switch whilst on the move (quite fast) in traffic because of the handlebar muffs. Not funny!
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 3:51 pm

I know how you feel Waspie, when I first got my S/Wing, I was also having starting problems, come to find out, I was'nt squeezing the left brake past the second click. Ride Safe...Robert in Az.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 4:15 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Good idea.
My excuse is that the heated grips switch was just above the kill switch on the X9.
It was a very chilly day and after dark.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 7:43 am

Bit more!

On the way home yesterday I noticed a squeaky rattle from the handle bar area I hadn't noticed before. So I decided this morning to have a delve!

I noticed immediately the plastics around the handle bars was loose! Strange!!! It, (the centre plastic shroud,) wasn't correctly located under the ignition barrel and I was able to lift it gently away from the ignition barrel mount, plastic was secure everywhere else.

So I removed all the plastics, again courtesy of a link on this site. Thank you.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t181-i-adjusted-my-handlebars-today#814

(Click on JeffR's link to a Pdf document)

Replaced all the plastic and ensured it was all firmly relocated correctly. Now, the plastics are solidly held in place.

Me-thinks my first thoughts about someone fiddling in the dark may be closer to the truth. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 7:56 am

Mm. Very suspicious!
Glad it's sorted now, Doug.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 9:45 am

I bought a new Kawasaki Z750 twin just after I passed my bike test back in the 1970's, after a few hundred miles it developed a sticking exhaust valve on one cylinder and used to cut out. The dealer gave me a Suzuki GT500 two-stroke twin to ride while they fixed it, it was a really nice bike to ride too.

After a couple of weeks, I rode down to the dealers about 40 miles away and picked up the Kawa which had been repaired, rode home and later went off on night shift. The next morning as I was riding home it started cutting out on one cylinder again. Luckily I managed to get to a nearby village and found a telephone box and called the dealer.

Two mechanics in a van arrived over a hour later and none too pleased about being called out. They started the bike and it cut out within a few seconds, then they started it and it happened again. Then one of them fiddled about for a few seconds, started the bike and started revving the engine, it didn't cut out, then he went for a short ride on it.

He had cured the fault by switching the petrol tap to reserve, Embarassed, needless to say I was cringing with embarrassment. If the village cafe had been open I'd have bought them breakfast, as it was I apologised profusely for my errors, put on my helmet and probably singed the liner with my burning ears and rode off home. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 10:07 am

Meldrew wrote:
as it was I apologised profusely for my errors, put on my helmet and probably singed the liner with my burning ears and rode off home. Embarassed

That was me yesterday morning. It didn't matter how much the AA guy said - "it happens" I feel felt a right plonker for not spotting what should have been the obvious!
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 7:07 am

Oh yes .... a few times I've forgotten to LOOK at the gas gauge until it is SOOOO LOOOWWW!! Luckily, I haven't run out or anything, but I HAVE had to put 3.3 gal into a 3 gallon tank!!! Shocked

Nuttin worse than going out to saddle up the Swing and IT WON'T START!! Crying or Very sad And then when it is something like kickstand, kill switch or low fuel .... wellllll Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 11:59 am

Took the church crew up the Feather River Canyon this last summer...there were about 8 of us riding Harleys, Goldwings, Suzuki Boulevards and, of course, my SWing.

We stopped in Quincy for lunch, then continued east on 70, intending to go out to 49 and back to Sacramento through Downieville and Nevada City. Somewhere along the line, we got turned around and we stopped in Portola to ask directions. I came out of the building, put on my gloves, turned the key, grabbed the left brake handle, hit the starter and ... nothing. Checked the key position...definitely on and lights were bright. Checked the kill switch...was on...cycled it and tried again...nothing. Starting to panic a bit...the guys were making several suggestions, but nothing seemed to work. I decided to dig the tools and flashlight out of the storage compartment and went to put the side stand down and then realized...it was already down. Retracted the side stand and the bike started right up.

Caught some hoorah from the guys about that one.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 2:40 pm

Ha Ha. Live and learn. sounds like something I have done affraid
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 am

Bin there, done that got a tshirt for it ------ affraid swing chickendance swing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Embarrassing lesson learned.   Embarrassing lesson learned. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Embarrassing lesson learned.
Page 1 of 1