Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

I adjusted my handlebars today !!!

Go down 
+4
matthew
som2002
DennisB
JeffR
8 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

I adjusted my handlebars today !!! Empty
PostSubject: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 5:10 pm

Well, as i was installing the GPS mount that Dennis makes I went ahead and adjusted my handlebars at the same time. I lowered them, rotated them towards me a bit, and it has brought them closer to me. This is nicer for me since I felt I was reaching for the bars somewhat. I will posts pics of how to do it later today for those that are curious or want to do it. You just need to be careful of some of the plastic tabs. I think I broke one somehow but it all went back together alright.

I went on just a short jaunt on the interstate to test out the new GPS mount and the handlebars and both are better than before. Since I have the seat all the way back it seemed I had to reach forward some when riding. But I will post pics later.
Attachments
I adjusted my handlebars today !!! AttachmentHandle Bar Adjustment for the Silver Wing.pdf
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(552 Kb) Downloaded 454 times

Last edited by JeffR on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 9:00 am

Hi Jeff,
How's the handlebar adjustment working for you. Sounds like a good thing to do. I was thinking of giving that a try.

DennisB
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Dennis,

I really enjoy it more now. I will post pics of how to do it, although I know you do know how, but I brought them a bit closer to me. You can't adjust them too much or the covers don't fit back on but it seems just a little bit is enough.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi Jeff,
Got a good idea how to, but I haven't tryed it yet. Your the only person I know that did this on the Swing. Just thought I would get your advice on this first. I have found that getting good advice saves time in the long run.

DennisB sunny

Last edited by DennisB on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : needed to be fixed)
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:40 pm

Dennis,

It really is pretty simple, and I will post the pics tonight, but it is easy to break a tab if not careful. I think I broke on either this time or last time. It doesn't effect anything now but I would rather not break any of them.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Dennis,

Here is pictures on how I adjusted my handlebars. I like them better this way since I have my seat all the way back and it seemed I was "reaching" more than I liked. When adjusting the bars you can only tilt or pivot them forward or backward.

If you push them forward they also go higher too, and if you pull them back they will lower down some and be brought toward you too. But they can only be adjusted a little each way while still being able to re-install the covers. But over all I like them a bit closer to me.

http://www.4shared.com/file/84498740/444666da/Handle_Bar_Adjustment_for_the_Silver_Wing.html
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Thanks for the tip. I did this to my 02 tonight and it was very easy per your instructions. More importantly, I was able to do my girlfriends Suzuki 400 scooter since she is only 5 foot and the seat is all the way forward. I moved hers back to where she liked it and went for a ride with both ours now adjusted. Mine made a little difference, but she absolutely loves hers now, even all the way back against the butt-rest which she wasn't able to do before. THANKS.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 10:31 am

It's amazing to me how a small adjustment up (or down, as the case may be) can have such a positive effect. I've written about this elsewhere, but just making a small - maybe 1 or 2", I don't know for sure - upward adjustment eliminated the back pain I was having on rides. It's gone now even on long rides.
Never underestimate the power of the small.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 1:38 pm

I've noticed since I adjusted mine up as far as they would go that I don't get a pain in the upper part of my back anymore. I guess you just need to play with it some to get the right position.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 6:59 pm

After reading your post Last night I made an adjustment on my handlebars. I think it will be a little better. I lowered them some at first to much and couldn't get the cover back on and then had to readjust.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 11:16 am

Hi,

I added the .pdf attachment to the first post at the top. It is now an attachment so you don't need to download the word file.
Back to top Go down
Janewayfan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-07-18

PostSubject: I did too!    I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 5:23 pm

Hey JeffR,

Glad you got good results. I realized, with help from my dealer's mechanic today, that two factors were making the bike feel top-heavy or limiting my sense of control: 1) the handlebar height/angle significantly limited my range of motion in turning--causing a jerkiness and shortness that created an almost hair-trigger quirkiness to sharp turns, particularly at low speeds. Such as in a parking lot. He was able to move them down only about an inch for my maximum comfort and what a difference! With my short height comes proportionately shorter arms than your average male scooterist. I can steer and ride again with the confidence I used to have! I adjusted my handlebars today !!! Icon_smile I adjusted my handlebars today !!! Icon_smile
2) My big top case was making the bike top-heavy, which he said happens with scoots. I've taken the case off and will only use it for extensive travel.
WOW! I now LOVE my bike!!! I adjusted my handlebars today !!! Icon_cheers Janeway and I covered many miles, including stopping and getting donuts and bringing them back to our beloved dealer for the service guys (who did not charge for the adjustments).
Cheers and happy riding,
Bry aka Janewayfan-for-real!
Back to top Go down
http://www.inbalancemassageonline.com
robavi
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 9:20 am

I have 2 questions:

What is the torque pressure when tightening the bolts?

Regarding the picture of "Silverwings in a Row", the silverwing with the trailer, I would like to know where he got the tow hitch and the trailer?
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 am

I have a ridiculously expensive Official Honda Service Manual, and wouldn't you know it, they provide torque values for just about every fastener on the bike except the handlebar bolts. All it says is to tighten the front bolts first, then the rear.

Having adjusted mine so far back and down that I can't use the handle cover anymore (I'm an old sportbike guy. I hate tall bars.), I think snug plus 1/4 to 1/2 turn more is sufficient. Just don't get too aggressive; remember that the lower holders into which you are tightening the bolts are aluminum.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey Janewayfan - I was wondering about fueling up motorcycles and scooters in N.J. Oregon is the only other state in the union that requires gas station operators to pump gas into vehicles. In OR they make a partial exception for motorcycles and scooters. Here they insert the credit card, start the pump and hand you the nozzle. When you finish you're supposed to give them the nozzle back and they put it back in the hanger and hand you the receipt. How does it work in N.J.?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I adjusted my handlebars today !!!   I adjusted my handlebars today !!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I adjusted my handlebars today !!!
Page 1 of 1