Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 10:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 10:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 10:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 10:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 10:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 9:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 12:54 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 4:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 9:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 1:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Spraying the Headlight Amber

Go down 
+4
MikeO
trouble1100
bigbird
Silver Winger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Silver Winger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Spraying the Headlight Amber Empty
PostSubject: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi from a chilly Cape Town, South Africa

Anyone sprayed the inside of their headlight cover with luminescent orange spray suitable for polycarbonate services?

The reason for wanting change to orange is to easily seen by motorists

Safe Biking, you guys motorcycle
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Is a headlight modulator legal in S. Africa?
That would be far preferable to painting the inside of the lens cover. You'll lose too much light intensity by painting it.

If the modulator is illegal, add extra driving lights lower on the forks. And try wearing hi-viz clothing and a high-viz helmet.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 11:44 pm

I prefer the extra amber or yellow auxiliary lighting mounted to the forks or on the DennisB bracket over a single off color light.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t624-spot-light-relocation-and-bracket?highlight=bracket

Before you alter the expensive headlight assembly give these a try.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=2467
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 9:22 am

You could lash out and buy a headlight cover to spray, rather than painting the stock headlight glass.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:20 am

Any color you can add will actually reduce brightness and therefore your ability to see in the distance. Typically only foglights are yellow, and for specific reason.

The Silverwing can handle a lot of extras electrically. Better to get aftermarket lights and leave your headlight stock.
Also, is there any regulation in your country about the color of headights?

In some countries there are two small yellow lights at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions relative to the headlight. Typically they are 5 watt bulbs, but there is nothing stopping you from replacing those bulbs with higher power and insuring there is enough power there to handle them.
If they are not part of the requirements for your country, then the space exists but not the holes. Where the holes are normally drilled their are two nipples on the back of the light, so its easy to know where to drill. Drill thru the back and attach your favorite yellow or orange bulbs right there. Power it up thru a separate relay and swiitch an you have a stock headlight look with colored light for visibility.

Dan
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 2:50 pm

just buy a yellow bulb
Back to top Go down
Silver Winger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 7:13 pm

bigbird wrote:
Is a headlight modulator legal in S. Africa?
That would be far preferable to painting the inside of the lens cover. You'll lose too much light intensity by painting it.

If the modulator is illegal, add extra driving lights lower on the forks. And try wearing hi-viz clothing and a high-viz helmet.

Hi Bigbird and Ron!
Yes, modulators are illegal in SA. The extra spots does appear to be an option, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Silver Winger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 7:27 pm

dspevack wrote:
Any color you can add will actually reduce brightness and therefore your ability to see in the distance. Typically only foglights are yellow, and for specific reason.

The Silverwing can handle a lot of extras electrically. Better to get aftermarket lights and leave your headlight stock.
Also, is there any regulation in your country about the color of headights?

In some countries there are two small yellow lights at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions relative to the headlight. Typically they are 5 watt bulbs, but there is nothing stopping you from replacing those bulbs with higher power and insuring there is enough power there to handle them.
If they are not part of the requirements for your country, then the space exists but not the holes. Where the holes are normally drilled their are two nipples on the back of the light, so its easy to know where to drill. Drill thru the back and attach your favorite yellow or orange bulbs right there. Power it up thru a separate relay and swiitch an you have a stock headlight look with colored light for visibility.

Dan

Hi Dan!

In S Africa, both driving and high beam lights must be the same colour whether white, amber or orange. BMW and KTM with one amber and the other white are chalenging our authorities

I like our idea of using the small lights and upgrading the Watts. I suppose I could look at that changed to amber as well as the driving and high beams. Hope we can easily obtain them in S Africa

Thanks for your input Bud!
cheers
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 2:13 pm

You might want to try using the Philips Motovision bulb. It comes in orange for the same reason you are looking to spray the headlight lens.

Spraying the Headlight Amber S_motovision_usp

As dspevack wrote, if you spray the lens with paint, you will block the headlight output. It is like putting a lamp shade on it.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Silver Winger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi All!

I lost my nerve and decided to go the safe route and use a film over the lens

Attachments
Spraying the Headlight Amber AttachmentIMG_4945.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(11 Kb) Downloaded 20 times
Spraying the Headlight Amber AttachmentIMG_4946.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(12 Kb) Downloaded 16 times
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Philips motovision bulb white sounds like a great upgrade
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spraying the Headlight Amber   Spraying the Headlight Amber I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spraying the Headlight Amber
Page 1 of 1