Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Amber lights has come on

Go down 
+2
dspevack
ricks2009
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ricks2009
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-18

Amber lights has come on Empty
PostSubject: Amber lights has come on   Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 1:36 pm

I need help and advice , and this is the place I always come to. I have a 2004 Swing with 32293 miles on it. The amber warning light for the VTran came on 93 miles ago. I bought the bike in Ireland 2 years ago and have been making my way across Europe a few [u]weeks at a time. I am now on the Black Sea coast (Burgas Bulgaria). I am planning on parking my bike on Tuesday for 6 months is a small town 300 miles from here. If I can make it that far, I will have lots of time and help to get the Vtran serviced. My question is - Once the light comes on, How many miles can I ride before disaster happens?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Amber lights has come on   Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 2:16 pm

V light comes on for a belt change every 16000 miles whether you need it or not.
I'd venture to guess your belt was changed and the counter reset at 16,200 miles.
Without an inspection of your belt nobody can tell you that your belt will or won't fail
in the next 300 miles. I can only tell you that as a matter of safety manufacturers
tend to underestimate the life of a product.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Amber lights has come on   Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 3:16 pm

Several folks here have ridden over 20,000 mile (16,000 mile belt-light-on interval + 4,000 miles) with no failure.

I wouldn't be overly anxious about the V light being on, but I certainly would get a new belt on order and change it when you get to your destination.

That said, dspevack's caution is apropos.

Tim
Back to top Go down
ricks2009
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Amber lights has come on   Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks everyone- I will sleep better tonight knowing what the issue is.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Amber lights has come on   Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 11:09 pm

You could re-set the light and see if it comes back on. It is factory set like has been stated every 16000 smiles as a reminder. I have almost 57000 smiles on my 2005 and have ran over the 16000 by quite a few smiles. I have changed the belts just for good measure but the belts are not in bad condition and know they could have gone for several hundred smiles without a problem. It is your Honda so use your own judgment. My light will be coming on again before too long. Ride safe and enjoy it. These Silverwings are pretty bullet proof machines. Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Amber lights has come on   Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 11:32 pm

I replaced a belt on my first SW at 26,000 miles. It really didn't need replacement, measured nearly the same as the new one. So travel forth with no worry about the belt failing.

To make you feel better reset the V light pressing the two buttons on the instrument panel, turn the ignition on while holding the buttons until the light flashes, release the buttons and press the right button. The light should extinguish.

Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Amber lights has come on   Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Paul W.

This is changing the subject, but I'm visiting family next week in Rogue River. Would you want to meet up for a ride.

Bill
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Amber lights has come on   Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Shoot me a PM when you plan on being in the neighborhood. I often go to BGs in Rogue River with a couple of other SW riders maybe we could meet there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amber lights has come on   Amber lights has come on I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amber lights has come on
Page 1 of 1