Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What was Your First Machine?

Go down 
+19
Dale
GaryL
Skippy
jdeereanton
dickie
roadrunner
"Hi Yo"
DickO
MikeO
Darkeswinger
KurtPerthWA
alejom
joncallihan
bigbird
pancho
masscoot
honda_silver
Opalsboy
DennisB
23 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

What was Your First Machine? Empty
PostSubject: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 8:53 pm

OK… It’s time for a little reminiscing. When I was 10 years old (1960), I owned a bike like this one. The one in the picture is a 1965, but they looked for most part, the same. Yes I was a wild, carefree spirit, riding the streets on this huge 5 HP Quarterhorse mini bike, until the LA police caught me riding on the street. They gave me my first ticket. My only ticket to this day. Yes, 50 years of riding and only one ticket…Been very, very, lucky….Well, any ways, this is my first machine.

Yes... I was born to be wild!!!!

What was Your First Machine? Quarte10

What was Your First Machine? Quarte11

Last edited by DennisB on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Hey Dennis, that looks almost like darkside tires... you little rascal you. Also, that muffler might cause sterilization on a long trip.

Where was your GPS mount on this?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 pm

What is that on the down tube just in front of the engine??
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:20 am

That was my question also Bill. Looks like a spool of fishing line but probably some sort of air filter.

Here is my entry: 1975 Honda PC50, rode the he** out of it while working a farm in NH in 1976. (not the actual machine).

What was Your First Machine? Honda_pc50_01
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:02 am

A 1962 Sears Punch Sabel,2stroke,paid $200.00 cash at 7years old.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:09 am

A 1966 Honda 50 Cub.
I won it in a contest.
No picture needed, because if you don't know what the original Honda 50 looked like, you have no business being old.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:19 am

bigbird wrote:
A 1966 Honda 50 Cub.
I won it in a contest.
No picture needed, because if you don't know what the original Honda 50 looked like, you have no business being old.

cheers

Two Honda 55 trail (step thru with serious knobby tires), one red one yellow

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0055/trail105/trail105.htm#1963

:flower:

Last edited by joncallihan on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:27 am

When I was 14 years old, I had a 50cc Yamaha Towny that I used to visit friends, rent movies, go to the town's market, etc...

It was fun trying to catch as much speed possible (about 55km/h) before hitting a hill as it's small engine and 2 speed automatic transmission was a poor match for the terrain in my native Colombia.

Like this one but without the cargo box.

https://media.photobucket.com/image/yamaha%20towny/p0cking_2010/Bike/136_3629.jpg
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 am

My first bike was a Suzuki B100P It was my very first ride, no license , and riding on the footpath with Mr Plod coming up behind me..I just kept on riding down on to the road via a driveway and rode as though I knew what was what and got away with it.

What was Your First Machine? B100p10

I had 3 of these in different formats.

PS Dennis, would I be right by guessing that the motor on yours was a Tecumseh?
Side valve, about 125cc ?
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 am

Sears Allstate Moped. 2 speed, hours of fun, not much air.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Kurt, If my memory serves me???? confused A Briggs Stratton 5 horse and that's the air filter and carb, coming out the front of this B&S power plant. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 pm

What was Your First Machine? Yamaha_srx250t87

1987, I drove it off the dealer lot like I knew what I was doing.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 3:02 pm

My Ma was dead against my having a motorbike and said she'd help me buy a car so my first machine was an Austin FX3 ex-London taxi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_FX3
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 pm

My first and only was the black '05 SWing I have now had since June of '08. No touching stories about it other than we both once went for a swim in a flooded brome grass field and managed to keep going despite it.
Dependable little devil.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
What was Your First Machine? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 6:43 pm

A 1968 CB350 Honda. I think I paid $500 for it used. I didn't sit still long enough for pictures. I learned to ride in the apartment parking lot with little kids laughing at my mastering the clutch. I got a beginner's license by passing a written test and then rode to the DMV for the riding test. The officer looked at me and said "How will you get home if you don't pass?" Failure was not an option. I remember being scared to death of railroad crossings, What if the tire (tyre for the English) got hung up? No MSF courses back then and I knew it all anyway. Amazing how much dumber I"ve become the more I've learned. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:16 pm

My first bike was a 1973 CB350G (disc brake model) that I bought brand-new exactly 38 years ago today. Paid $835 for it. Took a lot of crap from everyone who thought I was starting out too big. What a great bike -- wish I could find one now for that money.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 4:24 pm

A 1950 something "James". Froze the motor up solid not long after I got it.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 4:59 pm

What was Your First Machine? Honda_classic_C50

Just like this one but in black, bought used and rode it for quite a few years. Don't know what happenened to it.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 8:13 am

Dale, that was my first bike as well Smile

A fantastic Honda C90 Cub - a 1980/81 reg if memory serves me well. All I can remember is it was a 'W Reg' and the dammed fuel tank wouldn't hold a gallon unless it was bone dry Smile It shows just how little I knew about bikes at the time, but the parking light actually had a better beam than the head light! I had absolutely no inclinkling that the headlight could be adjusted.

The keys lived on top of my locker and the whole platoon used it by and by, occasionally this sort of irked me when I wanted it, but it never, ever seemed to run out of fuel, was always clean and just kept on plodding along. After a year I sold it to another squaddie who was equally mechanically inept and it slowly disintigrated on the side of the parade square until the RSM told him to take it home............

A few months later my Dad got a letter from Northamptonshire Police saying that it had been recovered, burnt out, after being reported stolen - the new owner had never even bothered to register it in his name!!!! I have no idea what happend to it then - the scrap yard probably Sad
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:31 pm

I learned to ride on a Honda CB150(I think) twin and an old NSU mo-ped, both belonging to a friend of mine. The first bike that I owned was a Honda CB175 twin. small moped
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Skippy,

Mine was actually an early 60's model and was a 50cc machine. Great little automatic transmission.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Skippy,

Mine was actually an early 60's model and was a 50cc machine. Great little automatic transmission.

Dale, wasn't yours a semi-auto?
My 50 Cub had a manual transmission with an automatic clutch. It had 3 gears, 1 down and 2 up IIRC.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:37 pm

Yes - a 3-speed. I would speed shift it sometimes without backing off the throttle.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:42 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
I would speed shift it sometimes without backing off the throttle.

That's what I call living on the edge.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:11 pm

Nah -- teenage desire to break the beast as quickly as possible motorcycle
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Dale
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 3:38 pm

1947 Cushman. My Dad bought it used from Dewey's Cycle Shop in Seattle about 1957. I started riding it in 1962 after Dewey's shop rebuilt the engine.
Back to top Go down
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 6:01 pm

My first machine was a Kawasaki ar 50 1986 in Kawasaki racing green top speed 35mph lol thought I was Barry sheen . I remember staying in first gear for about 5 miles because I didn't know how to change gears wondered why I kept getting overtaken
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 7:32 am

You lucky bugger Lesley! Thats exactly what I wanted for my 16th - knowing there was absolutely NO chance as my folks, or rather my mum was dead against bikes.... They got really concerned during my final year at school (15-16) when I SAVED all the money I got from my weekend job and declared I was going to by a bike. I think secretly my Dad was rather keen on the idea and impressed that I'd managed to save in the region of £400 - a veritable fortune back then in 1983!

He even took to pointing out forsale adds in the paper and took me out to look over a couple of bikes. However, I knew what I wanted; either a Lime Green & White Kwak AR50 or a Suzuki TS50ER! For some strange reason I could find neither in my price range or rather I could find bugger all in my price range Wink

Come my birthday, Mum cornered me and suggested that 'given the surprising amount cash you've accumulated, why don't you buy a car'? 'You could do it up - your good with your hands - and when your 17 Dad and I will pay for your driving test.....' I should've listend really, instead I joined the Army a little while later and thats when I got the C90 lol. With hindshight I should've done what Mum suggested but hey at that age you know it all anyway What a Face
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Skippy wrote:
With hindshight I should've done what Mum suggested but hey at that age you know it all anyway What a Face
As one of my old bosses used to say,"Hire a teenager while they still know it all!" Laughing Mind you, I suspect most of us at that age thought we did! Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 5:52 pm

My first bike was a blue Suzuki GT185 two-stroke bought new at the end of 1974. I picked it up about half an hour before the dealer closed their doors on a cold dark Saturday evening in December and I was still outside farting about trying to figure everything out when they locked up and went home. I was on L (learner) plates, and really didn't have much of a clue about riding, as I had received no tuition or training beforehand.

After much stalling and lurching forward as I tried to master the clutch and gears, I managed to ride the 12 miles home without crashing in about a hour and a half. Taking off my brand new unlined gloves, I found my hands stained bright blue with the dye from them. So at least my hands and bike were colour matched!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Much the same as Dale. My first bike was a 1949 Cushman which I bought in 1957. I rode that thing all over Edwards AFB and on the Mojave Desert. In 1959 I sold it and got a 1950 Triumph 650.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was Your First Machine?   What was Your First Machine? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What was Your First Machine?
Page 1 of 1