Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 6:01 pm

» New to Me Swing
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Body showing age I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Body showing age

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Robert Smith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Robert Smith

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2023-03-28

Body showing age Empty
PostSubject: Body showing age   Body showing age I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2023 12:37 pm

As I get older it's harder for me to get right foot up on footrest. My silverwing is showing signs of damage or body parts separating gaps??? Can I tighten this up?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Body showing age Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body showing age   Body showing age I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2023 2:21 pm

I can be done. I took up some of the gaps by removing all the screws, bolts and clips of the offending bodywork parts and made sure everything was 'seated' properly before replacing said screws, bolts and clips.

I can also help if you hold the panels together with one hand while tightening the screws, bolts etc. I still have one or two gaps where plastic retaining tabs have been broken by previous owners. Overall though, the gaps are hardly noticeable.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Body showing age Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body showing age   Body showing age I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2023 2:58 pm

Yup, mine was ‘a modern art masterpiece’ as well. It cost a bit but I bought a new front cover (main fairing), upper center cover where the compartments are, left lower cover (under the footrest rubber/ plastic)- the right isn’t made any longer so you would have to get yours repaired or repainted as mine needs, and the exhaust cover as mine was scratched. Now it’s near as it can be to being a new, unmolested bike (unfortunately, the prior owner had bad balance and dropped it when still a few times, so the body was a little dinged up with some rather poor touch up paintwork)- now with 7400 miles on it, it really is like (near) new condition. I have ~ 3 areas that could use some re-spraying and I’m debating if it’s worth it as it’s not terribly noticeable. I like my stuff in near new condition if I can help it.

I agree with tearing it down and reinstalling what you need- might need some new hardware as well, as some was missing on my bike.
Back to top Go down
efinglada
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2020-02-12

Body showing age Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body showing age   Body showing age I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 2:55 pm

When I bought my '08 3 years ago, the front panel had gaps on the sides of the gove boxes panel; there were some broken tabs. I applied silicon between the panels in those spots and tightened them with rubber bands
When the silicon cured the panels are held together ever since
In need of removal of the tupperware, a cutter knife will do the job
It solved the problem for me
Rgds
Back to top Go down
Robert Smith
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Robert Smith

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2023-03-28

Body showing age Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body showing age   Body showing age I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 5:08 pm

I can barely get my right foot up once I get rolling and that has caused the damage. That's why I bought the SW... Plus it's honda and 600cc... Perfect... So? There's no like clips or faseners? To fix? Thought I saw Mcgiver try that quick fix... They canceled the show
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Body showing age Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body showing age   Body showing age I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 5:29 pm

On the lower side panel, there are spring clips into which screws insert. There’s a series of them of specific sizes. Here’s some pics with the screws and the spring clips:

Body showing age 0faab310

Body showing age 4c676710

So if you go on the ChapMoto.com, Partzilla.com, or RonAyres.com sites, they all have the same schematics and if you need the clips or the screws, you can get the OEM ones for proper fit.

If the plastics are damaged, then you have to get a little inventive (JB Weld, wire ties, etc.).
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Body showing age Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body showing age   Body showing age I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2023 3:32 am

Robert, I'm not quite sure exactly which part you are trying to fix. A photo would be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Body showing age Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body showing age   Body showing age I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Body showing age
Page 1 of 1