Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

The Burgman Professor

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

The Burgman Professor  Empty
PostSubject: The Burgman Professor    The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2022 2:10 pm

Saw this on a Facebook Silverwing group:

The Burgman Professor  Cc1cad10
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: The Burgman Professor    The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2022 3:21 pm

applause rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Burgman Professor    The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2022 5:50 pm

Notable that the author, while composing a story to call a group of people stupid, manages to misspell Burgman five times.

Kidding aside, I've owned three Burgman 650's. IMHO, the transmission is unrivaled by any maxi-scooter on earth; 3,000 rpm's at 50 mph like clockwork. And it sounds like a commercial jet. Niceties including electronic screen and fold-in mirrors, heated seat and grips, three glove boxes with 12-volt plug-in are very enjoyable.

For me, the Burgman has sufficient annoyances to preclude buying a fourth. The suspension can be teeth-rattling. The bike is a lumbering beast at low speed. And changing the spark plugs is likely to produce bloody knuckles.

But yeah, back to the point: Stupid.

Last edited by Delray on Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

PostSubject: Re: The Burgman Professor    The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2022 6:03 pm

Delray wrote:
Notable that the author, while composing a story to call a group of people stupid, manages to misspell Burgman five times.

Kidding aside, I've owned three Burgman 650's. IMHO, the transmission is unrivaled by any maxi-scooter on earth; 3,000 rpm's at 50 mph like clockwork. And it sounds like a commercial jet. Niceties including electronic screen and fold-in mirrors, heated seat and grips, three glove boxes with 12-volt plug-in are very enjoyable.

But yeah, back to the point: Stupid.
Yes. It’s obviously a tired joke that’s been repurposed many times for various subjects. Usually with better spelling and grammar.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: The Burgman Professor    The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2022 5:07 am

The old Burgman 650, they certainly divide opinion, indulge me while I reminisce.

I had a 2010 Burgman 650 Executive for a couple of years and that was quite enough ownership for me. While an excellent two up motorway/autobahn cruiser with decent under seat storage, the rest of the package was lacking.

It was far too heavy, ( yes I know Gold Wings were far heavier, but they were four or six cylinder chromed up land barges, not a maxi scooter.  Smile.

The 650's weight could be a handful on rural roads, frost damaged surfaces, and hard work in city traffic. You also had to ensure there was no road debris under your feet when a passenger climbed on and off. Mrs M informed me that the passenger seat was far too wide as well. I don't miss the farce of clambering on and off the Burgman when there was a tunnel bag fitted, or having to hold panniers out of the way at fuel pumps.

The big Burgman was worse than any other maxi scooter I've owned for picking up road crap, and I certainly don't miss the marathon cleaning sessions, especially in winter. Or hauling the heavy lardass lump about with a cold engine.

Like every other maxi I've owned the OE electric screen was useless, and there were far too many switches and buttons on the left handlebar. This could be confusing at night time on unlit roads in heavy gloves, and I had condensation inside one headlight after after a couple of wet days in Northern Ireland.

Then there was the internet paranoia after the transmission 'unrivalled by any maxi scooter on earth' cost quite a few riders an arm and a leg to fix, and caused an exodus of big Burgman owners on to Silver Wings and other maxi scooters.

Incorrectly spelling Burgman is one thing, it used to irritate me in my Burgman years when the occasional bloke who knew absolutely zilch about maxi scooters would start a conversation with me about the Burgman, and refer to it as a Burger Van to give himself brownie points..As if it was the nickname all those in the know used.

Let’s not forget 'Get the Burgman Grin' that someone would inevitably post in a reply to a new owner.

There's currently 24 used Burgman 650's for sale online here in the UK, and none of them are barn finds.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: The Burgman Professor    The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2022 7:16 am

Well put, Meldrew. I have ridden the 650's but never owned one. I too liken it to a "Goldwing" of scooters. But the weight and complexity would keep me from buying one. The Burgman 400 is very similar to the Silver Wing and would be my choice in the Suzuki line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Burgman Professor    The Burgman Professor  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Burgman Professor
Page 1 of 1