Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED

Go down 
+9
ezed1
Loosemarbles
Salth2ofish
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
smellybeard
GHM-PM
Erdoc48
dovahkiin
13 posters
AuthorMessage
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2022-05-09

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Empty
PostSubject: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 4:24 am

So the halogen bulb for the high beam on my Swing's head lamp started acting wonky. Won't light up. It's my first time switching out bulbs from the head lamp, and I decided to go with a 5000K LED bulb. Here's how it went:

I saw a Youtube video of a guy being able to reach the high beam head lamp from underneath the front fender.

As it's in an awkward spot, I had to go by feel to figure out what was the dust cover, and good lord, trying to figure out how to unhook the retainer without even knowing what it exactly looks like.

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Photo_11

Once I unhooked the retainer, I swapped out the old halogen bulb out and installed the H7 LED bulb. I tried to take the adaptor out and install the H7 LED bulb onto it, but it was too loose of a fit. I ended up having to manipulate the plugs outward to fit the original bulb connector.

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Photo_12

With that done, time to hook it back all into place... right? Unfortunately, the H7 LED bulb that I bought came with a heatsink at the back. There was absolutely NO way the retainer would fit over the heatsink. Or so I thought.

With a bit of elbow grease, I managed to widen the retainer just so slightly to wedge the LED bulb and its heat sink in place. Fired my Swing up and my oh my..

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Photo_13

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Photo_14

I'm now enjoying increased road visibility at night and I'm really digging the white light on the Swing. Might just swap out the top lamp's halogen bulb out soon!

P.S I kept the old bulb adaptor just in case if I ever need it in the future.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 6:36 am

That was my first mod, except I switched out both to LEDs with H7s. If memory serves, I did them both from the bottom.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 7:09 am

Thanks for the information! I thought I would try that when my bulbs start to go south. But realistically at my age I seldom ride after dark anymore... Plus the cost difference. We shall see!
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 8:20 am

GHM-PM wrote:
Thanks for the information! I thought I would try that when my bulbs start to go south. But realistically at my age I seldom ride after dark anymore... Plus the cost difference. We shall see!

I bought the LED bulbs for cheap via an e-commerce platform. A pair of H7 LED bulbs set me back by USD4.50. Not sure what's the pricing these bulbs are like for you, but it's an upgrade worth the hassle, even if you don't ride at night!

Erdoc48 wrote:
That was my first mod, except I switched out both to LEDs with H7s. If memory serves, I did them both from the bottom.

From the various videos and posts I've came across, you'd have to remove the top cowl of the Swing to access the upper head lamp. But if it's possible to access the upper head lamp from the front fender... I might just make the switch ASAP!
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 10:27 am

I've had lighting problems with my Moto Guzzi sidecar combination since I got it and recently bought some top of the range branded H4 LEDs for it. The alternator just doesn't have the watts for proper incandescent bulbs. The single Osram H4 is good as many cars with two headlights and burns only about 16W. A quick sweep around the lesser bulbs has netted me another 35W saving and I'm now well within what the 40 year old Bosch puts out. I now have the power budget for a couple of decent spots - led ones, of course.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 4:38 pm

dovahkiin wrote:

From the various videos and posts I've came across, you'd have to remove the top cowl of the Swing to access the upper head lamp. But if it's possible to access the upper head lamp from the front fender... I might just make the switch ASAP!

Here’s a link to a ‘replace head light bulb’ discussion from a few years back:
https://www.silverwing600.com/t5150-headlight-low-beam-upper-bulb-removal-and-replacment?highlight=Headlight+bulb
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2022 1:40 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
dovahkiin wrote:

Here’s a link to a ‘replace head light bulb’ discussion from a few years back:
https://www.silverwing600.com/t5150-headlight-low-beam-upper-bulb-removal-and-replacment?highlight=Headlight+bulb

Cheers, this will definitely come in handy.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2022 4:43 am

It does help if you've previously removed the screen garnish and fiddled about in there before. Then you'll know how the rubber bulb covers for main and dipped beam bulbs stick to the bulb holders due to heat over the years.

A smear of rubber lubricant over the bulb covers once they're removed makes changing bulbs in future so much easier.

If you've changed the upper bulb successfully, changing the lower one is by reaching up underneath is relatively easy because you've sussed it out changing the upper bulb.

I'd leave those useless pilot bulbs alone unless they've blown. They have an annoying tendency to slip off their connections and drop inside the headlamp reflector. Once in there you need a flexible grabbing tool and numerous attempts to fish them out of the reflector.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:51 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2022 8:22 am

Did US models ever have those ‘pilot bulbs’ (the small ones above and lateral to the upper headlight, not the indicator bulbs) installed? When looking at my SW, I never noted them on.
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2021-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 6:52 am

I tried posting a pic. But anyway, the auxbeams work really well .
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 6:55 am

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Fa4d0410
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Ff870210
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED 672c1010
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 8:20 am

Erdoc48 wrote:
Did US models ever have those ‘pilot bulbs’ (the small ones above and lateral to the upper headlight, not the indicator bulbs) installed? When looking at my SW, I never noted them on.

I've always thought all models came with those pilot bulbs. Not sure what's the significance of those bulbs as it didn't provide much light anyway.

Salth2ofish wrote:

Those look expensive! Did you meet with much trouble installing the latch over the heatsinks as well?
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 8:25 am

Yes the latches were a bear to get over the fans. But well worth the 5 hours that it took me to install them.
dovahkiin wrote:
Erdoc48 wrote:

I've always thought all models came with those pilot bulbs. Not sure what's the significance of those bulbs as it didn't provide much light anyway.

Salth2ofish wrote:

Those look expensive! Did you meet with much trouble installing the latch over the heatsinks as well?
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 8:32 am

I could not put the rubber covers back on that keep moisture out of the headlamp assembly, but have not had any issues . It’s been 18 months. I do have a tiny leaf that somehow got into the headlamp lense though.Replaced high beam head lamp with LED 74777e10
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED 383faf10
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 8:35 am

They work great!! $36.99$
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 8:40 am

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED 589bf410
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 8:42 am

Salth2ofish wrote:
I could not put the rubber covers back on that keep moisture out of the headlamp assembly, but have not had any issues . It’s been 18 months. I do have a tiny leaf that somehow got into the headlamp lense though.Replaced high beam head lamp with LED 74777e10
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED 383faf10

How did you managed to take a photo like that?! I've tried using my phone to take a similar photo from the bottom only to fail miserably hahaha.

By the way, great reference pics for those who would like to swap out bulbs but can not visualize the back/latches of the headlamp.
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 9:45 am

I took the whole front cowling off. That’s the only way I could do it. Then I took pics while it was off. Yeah, not really a good way to get a camera in behind there when it’s on.Replaced high beam head lamp with LED 902f9e10
Replaced high beam head lamp with LED 1f6e2910
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 12:32 pm

Thanks for some nice pics. There are some rubber covers out there you could adapt to fit if think they need it.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 12:44 pm

If I recall correctly, I cut the inner aspect of the rubbers to make them fit over the back of the LED heat sinks (and I did this years ago when installing similar LEDs on the ST1100s I have)- I did it more for better visibility to other drivers than for lighting up the road as I am rarely on the road at night anymore.

As far as taking off the front cowl, that looks like quite a bit of work to remove, but I have two get that done eventually as I have some cosmetic (paint) damage to my cowling and may want to get the whole thing repainted (may not be worth it, or maybe it is as I plan to keep the SW for a very long time)
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 5:14 pm

Removing the cowling is a lot of work, you’re right. RE-installing it is even MORE work.
Erdoc48 wrote:
If I recall correctly, I cut the inner aspect of the rubbers to make them fit over the back of the LED heat sinks (and I did this years ago when installing similar LEDs on the ST1100s I have)- I did it more for better visibility to other drivers than for lighting up the road as I am rarely on the road at night anymore.

As far as taking off the front cowl, that looks like quite a bit of work to remove, but I have two get that done eventually as I have some cosmetic (paint) damage to my cowling and may want to get the whole thing repainted (may not be worth it, or maybe it is as I plan to keep the SW for a very long time)
Back to top Go down
ezed1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ezed1

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2023-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2023 10:11 pm

The hardest part to taking the front off is remembering where the screws go otherwise not really hard at all https://youtu.be/19u2exF8Kj4?si=DwIYKHdJMIaYw9iF
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 7:23 am

I replaced the H4 in my Velocette recently with a nice Osram LED that has a remote power supply and a push fit adapter. You fit the H4 ring in the headlamp shell and clip it up and then insert the light through it and lock it in place. It has a very compact fan for the LEDs and the power supply is halfway along the power lead.

The instruction leaflet indicates it's also available as a H7.

It's an Osram 64193DWXTR .
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 8:06 pm

Someone over at BUSA recommended the "Torchbeam" leds after installing similar on his Burgman 650, I got the H7 type on Amazon/USA about 6 months ago for $60 usd, they are really plug and play, almost identical physical size and install exactly as OEM/Halogens, without fairing removal, seals fit perfectly, etc. Really not to fond or red anodizing? I Had to slightly adjust/lower headlight, but otherwise great, super bright, etc. The Amazon link is dead now and can't find them anywhere??
Found these other ones that appear very similar with better looking silver finish
AUXITO New Upgraded H7 LED Bulbs, 20,000LM Ultra Bright, 6000K Xenon White, Wireless HB2 LED Bulbs, Halogen Replacement with Fan, Plug n Play, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/j4qmXbP

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Sw600l10
Back to top Go down
Ty1967
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2023-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2024 6:23 pm

I just replaced mine with H7 LEDs and they are so much better, it's like turning g the sun on when I use high beam.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Vspec 2 PC cube series    Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2024 11:58 am

Two years ago I bought on Amazon the Vspec 2 PC cube series 18w For $40.00 and the off road ATV light bar mounts for $ 14.00 and mounted them on my shock towers.  Amazing the difference at night.
Back to top Go down
stbne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
stbne

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2022-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2024 6:26 am

[quote="zrx212"]Someone over at BUSA recommended the "Torchbeam" leds after installing similar on his Burgman 650, I got the H7 type on Amazon/USA about 6 months ago for $60 usd, they are really plug and play, almost identical physical size and install exactly as OEM/Halogens, without fairing removal, seals fit perfectly, etc. Really not to fond or red anodizing? I Had to slightly adjust/lower headlight, but otherwise great, super bright, etc. The Amazon link is dead now and can't find them anywhere??
Found these other ones that appear very similar with better looking silver finish
AUXITO New Upgraded H7 LED Bulbs, 20,000LM Ultra Bright, 6000K Xenon White, Wireless HB2 LED Bulbs, Halogen Replacement with Fan, Plug n Play, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/j4qmXbP

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Sw600l10[/quoe]

Awesome info..I've been wanting to upgrade mine but was leary of doing a fairing-ect-omy   Thankyou for sharing!
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2024 10:17 am

Excellent. If I ever remove the fairing again, this would be the way to go.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2024 2:56 pm

The type of Leds bulbs I installed on my post above, did not require fairing removal, all done from bottom area, same procedure as replacing oem bulbs, is not super easy, but easier than fairing removal, IMO.

Here's a picture of mine, similar to the "AUXITO" I linked in post above.

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED Torchb10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replaced high beam head lamp with LED   Replaced high beam head lamp with LED I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replaced high beam head lamp with LED
Page 1 of 1