Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 8:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 8:05 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Today at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Turn signal fuse keeps blowing

Go down 
+3
Loosemarbles
john grinsel
Kunamika Hopper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2020-09-18

Turn signal fuse keeps blowing Empty
PostSubject: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 3:28 pm

Hello all!

About 2 weeks ago, I laid my bike down. Made a trip from Houston to Livingston tx afterwards, and had no issues at all. when I got back to Houston though, my turn signal fuse blew.

replaced the fuse, then it blew again. Took apart the switch, cleaned it, did a continuity test, replaced fuse. blew again.

So, I've been going connection by connection checking for continuity.

I've taken the entire front off of my bike, plus the floorboards, seat, and under seat access panel. it seems that there's no continuity from the connectors which attach from the signal switch to the fuse, but all of those wires are bound up with all the other wires, so I don't see how they could be shorting.

I can't find any pin connectors for the orange and blue wires between the main switch connection and the fuse box to test. Are there any, or do I just have to unbind all of the harnesses, then pull and replace the individual wires?

Apologies if this is too vague, it's my first foray into electrical work (other than replacing fuses, lights, etc.). I'd like to learn how to solve this myself, but is it the sort of thing where you're just better off going to the shop?

Anyway, thanks for any help!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 4:00 pm

I would make sure both front and rear bulbs and contacts are corrosion free, first.
Back to top Go down
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 4:13 pm

John, I checked for corrosion, and there is none.

The 9 pin connector for the signal wire going from where the turn signal attaches seems lack continuity, but I may be doing this wrong.

But, just to be on the safe side, do you know if a bad bulb (which still lights and flashes) can blow the fuse? I've found mixed info online.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 5:15 pm

Could the relay be playing up?
Back to top Go down
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 7:01 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
Could the relay be playing up?

Maybe so. I'll have to look at the wiring diagram again to check location. would it be one of the 2 main relays located underneath the glovebox?

Thanks for the suggestion!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 9:03 pm

Pull the fuse one side is power other to circuit to power up signal system. Check for continuity to a frame ground after fuse at least is a start to finding the short.

A bad bulb could be the issue if filaments are shorted. Rare though. Don't over think it DC circuits aren't that hard figure out. Any other lights out left-right Brakes?
Back to top Go down
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2022 10:32 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:

Any other lights out left-right Brakes?

Nope, it's just the signal. it's intermittent and inconsistent though: Doesn't seem to short under any specific circumstances (hard cornering, powering on, braking, etc.).

bikes half naked and I think I found the wire. just have to open up the harness and swap it. will report back on results.
Back to top Go down
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 10:27 am

well, after much head scratching, I've solved the issue.

started opening the wiring harness, then realized it was Pandora's box. decided to retest all connections, and lo and behold- continuity on all points.

yet, the fuse continued to blow. took apart the turn signal switch, and noticed that the washer, which goes underneath the toggle switch itself, had been knocked out of place, and was making contact with the wire ends at random points during motion. reset the washer, and voila, no more blown fuses.

wasted 4 days off chasing ghosts for such an easy fix, but got enough practice removing and replacing Tupperware to feel comfortable stripping the whole bike and putting it all back in less than 2 hours.

Might have to do a wrap or paint project
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 10:39 am

Yay! Thanks for letting us know you’ve found the problem. We all benefit from shared information.

4 Days tracing an electrical problem to find a simple fix? Yeah, that sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 11:00 am

It’s a job well done then when you fix it yourself.

Doesn’t matter how long it took, you sorted it.👍🏻
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 12:19 pm

Good job, call it a learning curve moment. Oh yeah had more than a few of those.
Back to top Go down
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 11:46 pm

MUCHoldERwingguy wrote:
Good job, call it a learning curve moment. Oh yeah had more than a few of those.

a cheap lesson in time and money, with minimal injury when I laid the bike down. I've learned a lot about the wiring diagram, and gotten over the plastic barrier to repair, I just wish this wasn't the bike to experiment with.

it's my daily driver, and my dream bike. When this one goes, idk if I'll be able to find another one, so learning on it is tough. but it's back to peak now, so I'm thankful`
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing   Turn signal fuse keeps blowing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turn signal fuse keeps blowing
Page 1 of 1